“TOP QUALITY SOTAVENTO ! AGAIN !!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sotavento Apartments

You added Sotavento Apartments to your Saves list
Sotavento Apartments
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Torrenova 34 | Calvià, 7181 Magaluf, Calvia, Majorca, Spain   |
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Magaluf
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“TOP QUALITY SOTAVENTO ! AGAIN !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

FANTASTIC PLACE TO STAY, QUALITY AND CLEAN ESTABLISHMENT. Great entertainment and fantastic staff whether on reception or all around the pool, nothing to much trouble from calling taxis and booking buses to help when checking in.

Will be back again !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Peter D, Director of Sales at Sotavento Apartments, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Hi Murray,

Thank you so much for leaving a review of your stay with us, it was great to see you and the boys back at Sotavento.

We hope to see you back with us next summer, please get in contact with us if you do come back and of course we will make sure we get you and the guys the very best deal.

Thanks again and really pleased you had another great stay with us.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Treforest, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

This hotel is mental, we went for a clubbing holiday and this is the perfect place, everyone is there to party so do not stay here if u want to sleep! wicked pool, everyone is young and up for a laugh , basically a hotel full of people running riot! the reps are on site so can always speak to them to book nights out etc, 2mins walk from the strip but it is at the top of the hill so is a bit tiring at the end of the night, there is also a shop on site too so no need to venture out to buy water etc. loved it and if i went back to magaluf wud not stay anywhere else!

Hi Emma,

Thanks for leaving a review of your stay with us at Sotavento, we are really pleased we helped you have such a fantastic holiday.

In July and August our guests are very much younger than at the rest of the summer with most people coming to Sotavento and Magaluf to enjoy our pool parties, beaches and nighlife that the resort has to offer. This changes at other times of the summer, with our guests being a little older and more mixed but still here to enjoy all that Sotavento and Magaluf has to offer.

Once again thanks for leaving a review of your stay and we do hope to see you back at Sotavento some time soon.

Kirkwall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Me and four friends have recently returned from a week long stay at sotavento! We had a great time! Our room was very clean, beds comfy, air con was really good we needed it as it was do hot outside! Great party atmosphere beside the pool!

A few things i would say is, only one roll of toilet roll every two days for four people really isn't enough and when we went to ask for more we were told to come back later this is really no use!

The young girls working at around and at the pool bar were so rude towards us we are 26 years old and very polite but it seems all they want to do is flirt with all the male residents I dont think this is acceptable!!!

Most mornings we had breakfast at the hotel it was always a problem because the poor lady who was serving us could barely talk any English she was polite but just didn't understand us very well!

All in all it was a great holiday the hotel is in a perfect location the hill is not that bad! It was really clean!
Also we got a massive thanks whenwe left because the reception staff could not believe how tidy and clean our room was when we left

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Hi,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your stay with us at Sotavento. We are really pleased that you had a fantastic stay with us and we are pleased that we helped to make your holiday so enjoyable.

I am sorry that you had a problem with toilet rolls in your apartment, each time our cleaning team visit the apartment (every other day) they should leave 2 toilet rolls in every apartment, which is usually enough for the 2 days. If for some reason guests do run out then of course additional rolls are available from reception.

I am surprised that you found some members of our pool team rude and apologise if you have experienced bad service from them. Most of our pool team who work around the pool are actually male, with only the girls who sell the shots working around the pool. Again I apologise if you found them to be rude, however I can assure you that this is not the usual service we provide and we will monitor the situation closely.

All our the team who work in Sotavento can speak English, however at times with accents and with the use of "regional or slang" words as you will appreciate it is sometimes difficult to understand everyone 100%. We do have a very good balanced mix of nationalities workin the hotel with most of our pool and bar team being from the UK.

Once again thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your stay at Sotavento and we are really pleased that you had a fantastic holiday with us.

We hope to see you back at Sotavento some time soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Hello all,
Me and 3 friends stayed at sotavento apartments in magalluf, what can I say? Brilliant pool and bar!! But there are a few flaws with this hotel.
First of all when u arrive at the hotel you are greeted as usual by a friendly face. You go through rules and regulations which is fine, you get a great vibe. But it goes a little down hill after that. I'll describe my review in bullet points.

• Aircon is pretty much useless and takes hours to feel the benefits of it.
• Towel change is every 2 days! I had to pay 5 euros for 4 USED BUT WASHED pool side towels which previous visitors had left. Management make such a fuss about extra towels! And they supplied us with one toilet roll for 4 people to use, we were constantly asking for more toilet paper.
•. They might as well not have maids our bed sheets weren't changed for 4 days we were there (I earmarked a stain on my sheet which was there throughout my stay, so I knew it wasn't changed). And the room was always untidy, i.e empty bottles on kitchen side for days.
• Obviously being in magalluf you are there to party, the hotel promotes a good party atmosphere which is fantastic. However my friend got drunk early evening and fell in to the curtains and pulled the rail down accidentally, we knew that it would come out of our deposit we left at reception (€20 each).
I went downstairs to reception the next day to be unwelcomed by the very angry OWNER of the hotel who shouted and shouted at me, swore at me in a very aggressive tone. He said that he is giving me and my friends a final warning (our first warning by the way), he accused me of snapping the rail down and bending it with my hands which I was really shocked about, and threatened to call the policia if anything like that ever happened again. With all due respect I'm a 27 year old man and passed my immature days I would not do this on purpose or on foreign soil. Anyway after my severe rollicking by the owner I was left with €120 euro fine. The curtain rail was cheaply made and worth €10 max, I even offered to put the new one up!! Dry cleaning of curtain €5 max. €120!
• Before leaving the hotel we were told at the beginning to leave the room in a good state which we were ok with obviously. I was mortified to be given a giant black bag at the end of our stay to tidy our room!! It wasn't bad at all and Apparantly everyone has to do it, they take it out of your deposit if they deem the room to be left untidy. Now I thought that is what you employ cleaners for. At checkout the hotel staff took €8 out our deposit because a cup and a glass couldn't be found upon room inspection. Very strict!!

I'm not giving this review in bad taste but I wish everyone take note of these bullet points and have a good stay. Outside of the rooms it's great!!

Happy holidays :)

• Stayed August 2012
Peter D, Director of Sales at Sotavento Apartments, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Hi,

Thank you for leaving a review of your stay at Sotavento, I am pleased that overall you had a great holiday with us.

I will try to answer each of your points in turn to give a balance view of some of the problems you encountered.

The airconditioning unit in all the apartments will swtich off automatically when the balcony/terrace door is open this is to ensure that the unit operates at maximum efficiency. If you leave the balcony door open then the until will shut off and then will not come back on again until you close the balcony door. If there are problems with the actual unit in your apartment the best option is to inform our recpetion team, who would then send one of our technical team to resolve the issue. I note from your reservation that no report was made about problems with the air conditioning.

Bathroom towels are provided in all apartments and are changed every 2 days, this is explained at check in. We DO NOT provide pool and beach towels and we DO NOT rent out any pool towels. I am confused as to where you would rent and pay 5€ for the use of pool towels as this is not a service we provide.

Our house keeping team visit the apartments every 2 days to change the towels and bed linen on the 4th day of your stay. If however you have an issue and want your linen changed earlier then you can of course report the problem to reception and they will help resolve the problem.

At times our house keeping team have a very difficutl job, I am sure you can imagine with a group fo 4-5 people sharing an apartment and often not leaving the apartment until early afternoon it is difficult for them to clean around people and there belongings. I am disappointed that you were not happy with the standard of our house keeping team. However I note from your review that the apartment was untidy, it is not the job of our housekeeping team to tidy your apartment, they are there purely to clean. They do not tidy the apartments only clean them and take away refuse which is placed in the bin provided or the black bin bags you describe in your review. To be fair, they do not always know if you have finished with bottles etc that are left on the bench as described in your review. It is not their responsibility to remove items from your apartment unless placed in the bin or black bags that are provided.

Magaluf is as you say known as a party destination and the facilties and services that Sotavento provide are perfect for the resort and its visitors. However what makes Sotavento very different from some of the other accommodation in Magaluf is that we will not tolerate any form of abuse or vandalism (no matter how it is caused) to our property. All guests are advised of our policies at check in and also reminded by all of our team if at times their behaviour is out of line. We have a responsibility to all our guests and also for the maintainence of the property for future guests. I have spoken to the hotel manager about the problems in your apartment and he remembers them very well. In reality, no matter how drunk a person was, there was damage caused to the apartment, which has to be fixed and made secure whilst you were in the apartment and also for future guests. All of this comes at a cost, not only for the materials but also the cost for labour to make good the damage caused.

As you can imagine at times the behaviour of guests, particularly when drunk can get out of hand and it is only by having our policies in place and explaining these carefully that we can maintain a great holiday atmosphere at Sotavento.

I am sorry that you found our policies to be "very strict". We do believe that in the interests of all our guests present and future we need to ensure Sotavento maintains the standards of accommodation and service that the majority of reviewers have told us second to none in Magaluf.

Despite some of the problems you note, it does seem that you had a good holiday at Sotavento.

Fife
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Myself & 5 girls stayed at the sotavento just last week, it was fab! .. we arrived and never got our pool view we requested w which was not so good but we shortly got over that when we were never in the room, the pool during the day was full of fun with good music and food and a nice wee bar ! The hills a killer but is funny when drunk, staff friendly hotel clean! Only downfall is you only get clean towels every 2 days , would go back in a minute

• Stayed August 2012
Peter D, Director of Sales at Sotavento Apartments, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Hi Amber,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your stay with us at Sotavento, we are really pleased that you had a fantastic holiday with us,

I am sorry you did not get a room with pool view as requested via your travel company. All of the apartments for 5 & 6 people actually face the back of the building, so we can not provide a pool view. The apartments sleeping up to 4 people can have a pool view, sorry for the confusion, but this should have been told to you when you made your reservation with your travel company.

I have passed your comments onto all of our team as its always good for get some positive feedback on the service you provide.

With regard to the towels, our standard towel change is every 2 days, however we are considering some enhancements for next summer so its good to get your feedback.

Thanks again for taking the time to leave a review and we hope to see you back at Sotavento next summer.

Chorley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

My daughter and her 5 friends (17 year old girls) went to Magalluf in July and stayed at Sotavento. We parents were quite apprehensive about such young girls on a first holiday abroad alone. I emailed the Manager (Peter) at Sotavento and his reply was prompt, reassuring me that the staff all spoke English and were aware of parental concerns. First text from daughteer was 'Don't worry about the balcony, Mum, we're on the ground floor.' The girls loved Sotavento and would definitely go back. Some of their friends came over for the pool and party as their hotels weren't as good. They arrived back a week later exhausted but happy having had a great holiday. They never felt unsafe as there was a good security presence in both the hotel and the resort

Hi Cleo,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your daughters stay with us at Sotavento, I am really pleased that they had a fantastic holiday.

We know and appreciate that its often an anxious time for parents during their childrens first solo holiday overseas. Our team are trained to understand the needs of the UK youth market and therefore can put everyone at ease very quickly, making sure that everything is easy for our young guests to understand etc.

Our resident dj´s are very popular and I am glad that they got to share the "Sotavento Difference" with their friends from other hotels.

Thanks again for taking the time to leave a review, we appreciate your comments.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Group of 6 girls visited Sotavento at the end of July for a week.

Hotel at first glance is immaculate and modern. For 6 girls in one room there was more than enough storage space if you don't want to live out of your suitcase! The bathroom was lovely and in particular the shower was super powerful! Towels were not changed everyday which is something that I think could be improved. In the kitchen area the glasses were dirty and had a musty smell - obviously not having been cleaned from the previous visitors, we took the decision to purchase plastic cups from the shop onsite (which was reasonably priced) and noticed that a lot of other people were doing the same...! It was also noticed that there were holes in some of the sheets. In my opinion this hotel is not a 4* - maybe is for Magaluf standard.

No problem at all getting sunbeds at the pool unlike previous hotels, even with people from outside coming to join in the pool party daily. Staff were always helpful and friendly - truly a credit to the hotel. One bug-bear was the head woman at the bar would come and take away your bottled water, which had even been purchased at the hotel shop, and put it in the bin insisting that we should be buying from the bar - this seems a bit ridiculous! Food was cheap and ok for a quick fix, however, you can find restaurants on the beach front not too far away which are better.
No real problems with noise during the early hours of the morning - probably as we were out until 5/6, the hotel operates a no noise policy after midnight which seems to work. Nevertheless a great party hotel!
As other reviewers have mentioned the hill leading up to the hotel is a bit of a beast, good exercise though!! Apart from that it is situated in an ideal location with the main strip approx 2 min walk down this hill.
I would return to this hotel, I do hope my comments are taken into consideration.

Hi Katie,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your stay with us at Sotavento. We do value all feedback from our guests and take all comments onboard to help us constantly improve the hotel and the overall service we offer.

I am pleased that you found our apartments clean and that you liked the bathrooms. When we refurbished the hotel we took the decision to take out all of the baths and replace with a larger 2 man shower area, like your comments this has proved particularly popular with our guests.

I am sorry that you found the glasses in your apartment to have a smell, all of the apartments are thouroughly "deep cleaned" after every departure and I am sorry that they did not appear clean. If you had reported this to our reception team they would have taken immediate action to get this problem resolved for you. With regard to the towels changed every 2 days, this is our current policy however we are reviewing this with possible enhancements for next summer. I not that you found a hole in the bed linen, again if this had been reported to reception we would have made these changes immeditately for you. For your information Sotavento is rated as a 3 star property not 4 star property as stated in your review.

I am sorry that the service you recieved from the bar manager was not good, we have taken steps to ensure that this does not happen again.

Overall I am pleased that you had a great holiday with us and enjoyed the facilities of Sotavento.

Thanks again for leaving the review.

Peter.

Been to Sotavento Apartments? Share your experiences!