“Excellent Stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 23 Hotels in Can Pastilla
Limerick, Ireland
“Excellent Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

We stayed in Amfora Beach on the 11th to 18th June. When I booked the stay through LowCostHolidays I didn't know what to expect and reading reviews here on TripAdvisor made me very apprehensive. The hotel turned out fabulous, perfect even!

I was traveling with my husband and daughter. The hotel has done some renovation in the off-season which is evident as the public areas and one half of the main building are completed. We were in the main building but in the section not yet complete. Check in was move and quick! Staff are v friendly. This didn't phase us in the least - we booked cheap accommodation, we were in Majorca and there for the sun, sea and sand not luxury accommodation. In saying that however the room was perfect - we had four single beds in the room, a very spacious balcony which overlooked the outdoor seating area from the bar. The bathroom was good with a great power shower. The rooms are cleaned on a daily basis and towels replaced (when left on the floor) as you need them.

We booked bed and breakfast for our stay - I also like a cup of coffee in the morning and was so pleased when we went down to breakfast to find a coffee machine which made a decent cup of cappuccino was great. The breakfast for a buffet breakfast is decent - yes its the same each day but with walking, cycling, activities etc it is all you need to start the day. I wasn't expecting smoked salmon or eggs made to order. The breakfast consisted of the coffee as mentioned, tea (flavoured and breakfast tea), cereals, yoghurts (fruit, natural and greek), tinned fruit, chilled water, milk, ham, cheese, onions, tomatoes, juices (orange, apple and pineapple), bacon (rashers), scrambled eggs, boiled eggs and a variety of breads. There was also plenty condiments - olive oil, vinegar, honey, jams, butter etc. I was traveling with a picky eater (10 yr old) and she was able to pick and choose what she wanted - there was something there for everyone.

The pool was great - yes it is small but absolutely perfect for swimmers of different abilities to go lengthways or width ways. My husband was teaching me to swim whilst there and the pool was lovely. There aren't many sun lounger's but owing to the fact that the beach is less than 5 minutes walk from the hotel that didn't matter in the least.

That was a real bonus in fact - the high street of C'an Pastilla was out the door, turn right and right again at the end of the street. Or turn left out the door and at the end of the street there was the beach! It was location perfect.

When staying at the hotel check out the following - The Highwayman Bar - just a few doors down from the hotel - but such lovely people, Ron, Karen, Andy & the kids. So nice and so welcoming. We spent many nights there for a drink and a chat. They do food which is lovely, we had a fantastic Sunday Roast there - heaven to have proper roast potatoes and gravy when all the touristy restaurants seems to have an endless supply of chips on their menus. We also did the table quiz on the Sunday night - it was hillarious! Ron is a real character which his charming Hull accent. And even funnier when he tries to take of an Irish one! The wifi is great too.

Restaurants/Cafe's to look out for: Marabana - coffee shop on the high street, fab coffee, filled rolls/pizzas and cakes for next to nothing. Thai at The Tavern - lovely thai food, small menu for it though but do have a regular menu as well which has the usual options.

Steer clear of Marisqueria Internacional restaurant on the waterfront!!

Activities done: Palma Aquarium - very good, shark tank is amazing. Aqualand - brilliant fun. Marineland - sealion and dolphin show were brilliant, we had intended to stay there for a full day, but really it was suitable as its quite small there so the shows and back to our accommodation and the beach suited us the best. Cycling - cheaper bike hire on the highstreet then on the waterfront.

C'an Pastilla is a lovely area and apparently is not based solely on tourism like other resorts in Majorca - therefore there is a real mix of people. The weekends are definitely busier as it a haven for weekend visitors.

Room Tip: The hotel has two buildings the main and an additional building of rooms across the road - one tip I...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
Gata de Gorgos, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

A week here June 12-19. No air con, noisy as had to have door open at night, no wi fi. No tea/coffee in room, very dated, pool lovely though not enough loungers, charge €3.50 per day for safe, very basic breakfast, staff ok, hotel is split into 3 areas, some very good unlike ours, so have no idea when booking. Location very good, 2 stops on airport bus.

Room Tip: Room 215 is in what seems to be the old bit. Think the block across the road may be the same. Newer...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Can Pastilla hotels

north wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nts june 6 th -10 th, and found the hotel lovely, we paid £56 each for my husband and I with bed and breakfast, and we thought it was well worth it, some people want to pay 2 star prices bur expect 5 star, and moan about everything, we were wondering what we would get but were surprised, we had a pool view , and breakfast was fine, bacon, eggs, scrambled or boiled, cereals, hams, cheese, toast, bread rolls, jam, coffee, and juices, what do people want for £15 a night b & b, fuss pots that's all I can say, the area around the pool has been refurbished and is spotless and so is the bar area, and the rooms them selves, we would stay here again beach is a 5 min walk to the left of the hotel. We will be back .

Room Tip: Ask for pool view a bit more to look at than round the back of hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

A very difficult review follows due to this hotel being in the middle of it's upgrade from a 2* to a 4*. The main block, reception, bar area and outside seating area are brand new, lovely white stone and all the posh furnishings. However the rest of the hotel that is in use is still dated and whilst acceptable it's a bit like mutton dressed as lamb at the moment! You will either be based in the main hotel or in the block just across the road opposite, seconds away.

Breakfast is continental (ham, cheese, rolls, bread, some salad and yoghurt etc.) or English which consisted daily of just Bacon, scrambled egg or boiled eggs. Also a choice of tea, coffee and juice. The food is at best ok and edible at least, I was only on breakfast board but heard from other guest that the evening meal (served at the Amfora hotel on the beach front, just to confuse you, minutes away) was no better! No Wi-Fi during my stay, a big minus considering a few days the weather was not at it's best and there were no English TV channels on the TV.

I was based in the main building and the rooms were ok, served the purpose having paid less than £20 a night for my board as a lone traveller. No fridge or tea/coffee making facilities so bear this in mind. They did put in a free computer just before I left for guest to use. The pool looked inviting but I never dared enter it, others did though and looked happy in doing so. I had an invasion of ants in my room on the morning of day five. The maid soon sorted this out though, not the hotels fault as it can happen in any hot country to be fair. The hotel caters for a lot of German tourist but this was not a problem for me or several other English guest.

Positives: Good for budget accommodation, lots of local restaurants and bars to use, so do have a walk around. Local bar the Highway man is superb (turn left as you leave the main reception) just a minutes walk away. Lovely people, great beer and stunning home made food! Carry on to the beach from the Highway man and you have lots of choice along the lovely seafront. I also used Poppies Bar and Mel's, both also great from my visit. If you turn right out of main reception and right at the bottom of the road you have vast more shops/bars to choose from including a local Spar shop which was ideal for everyday items. Honey takeaway was good as was the Chinese restaurant, The Grand Peking. I found the bike rentals here cheaper than the beach front as well. 5e a day for a mountain bike from Rent A Bike, bargain!

Negatives: 19e for the week for the safe was a tad expensive I felt, I used it however considering the terms of your insurance cover. Also the staff in the main block were very noisy some mornings from 07.30am . Crashing about and one morning music was being blasted out over the reception PA system actually waking me up being on the ground floor. My appearance in the reception area in my boxer shorts looking dishevelled seemed to do the trick, things improved somewhat after that.

Enjoy Ca'n Pastilla if you visit, lovely place and not too noisy overall.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Krakow, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Three minutes from the beach. Near the airport.

Hotel is a bit old, but still comfortable.
It's clean. Every room has its own balcony.

Breakfasts are great.

There's no WiFi.

It has very good price to value ratio.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Worcester, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

No lift and no help with baggage. Breakfast was from 8 to 10, accept coffee machine couldn't be used after 9 am ish, but could buy coffee from bar - this is not on, also the later you arrived for breakfast the choices diminised, and there wasn't many choice to start with. Also ended up not in the hotel on the pictures - we were put in an annex up a side street, where the transfer coach couldn't get down and we had to walk to the hotel with a child and 4 assorted cases. I wouldn't recommend this hotel, but I may have done if it was the main hotel opposite the beach which I had booked. The evening meal was adequate but boring. Spent too much on cleaners rather than amenities - typed info we were given was that thebar offered extensive snacks - well if you include 2 different sorts of crisps extensive - well you are ok - I don't - they had a lovely printed menu for cocktails, but not all the stuff to make them. Very disappointed!

Room Tip: NONE - all too noisy
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Stayed a week early October. Hotel staff very helpfull. Beach is a few mins walk straight down road from hotel you can't miss it and on the left you will find the highwayman pub. Lovely family run English pub. And Ron makes the best sangria I have tasted. Oh and it hits the spot . Tried all week to get the ingredients but top secret. Sorry back to hotel ,comfy rooms decent bathroom small pool and mainly shaded until after lunch. Children's pool is deep about 4ft no shallow end .breakfast at amfora beach then evening meal at sister hotel on beach. Both we found more than adequate and for the price pretty good. We never left hungry.
I have to mention cleaners,they are awesome. Always busy but keep rooms and hotel spotlessly clean , always with a friendly smile. Towels changed daily. Safety deposit box is in main building at 14 euros for the week ,we asked to hire a fan and was given one without charge. There are mixed reviews for this hotel it is a 2 star but in my opinion a very good 2 star .internet in reception 1 euro 15 mins but many Internet cafes in resort that charge 1 euro per hour but just to check email etc found hotel more convenient.
Apparently hotel havering refurb this winter I'm just hopping it doesn't push the price up too much because it's just set back enough to be quiet at night but close enough to walk to whatever you want. But please if you go pop in and say hi to Ron and family in the highwayman pub on way to beach you can't miss it you have to walk past it.Nothing was too much bother just real nice friendly people .
Can pastilla itself doesn't have a lot of British travellers so it was just nice to sit and have a conversation we could understand .

• Stayed October 2013

Been to BQ Hotel Amfora Beach? Share your experiences!