“Hotel description spot on” 5 of 5 stars

Aparthotel Fontanellas Playa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C/ Caravella S/N, 07610 Can Pastilla, Majorca, Spain   |
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Can Pastilla
east sussex
“Hotel description spot on”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

We have just returned from Ca'n Pastilla in Majorca a short ride from Palma Airport it is situated on the Playa De Palma. The hotel is absolutely first class, the description does not really do it justice but neither does it over exagerate its claims. We stayed half board through Lowcostholidays.com and the food was superb, plenty of choice, freshly cooked in front of you or prepared fresh for your arrival, comfotable surroundings and plenty of good old fashioned service. The hotel is ON the beach, all that seperates you is a cycle/walkway/prom that stretches for at least 6/7 miles in either direction of the hotel. No need to hire a car buses are frequent and very cheap from behind the hotel to all resorts in the Island. Dotto Train goes along the prom every 30 minutes and is a nice change to watch the World go by. The prices in this resort are so cheap its unbelievable. If you are in Majorca but have not booked to stay at this hotel you can use the restuarant, just ask at reception its cheaper than eating out and you won't be disappointed. The pools, the interior and rooms of this hotel are far superior than the 4 star rating. Very quiet at night, no disco, no rowdy bar, no crowds of young people. This hotel and resort is safe for families and children and would suit couples too, but young people may prefer a livelier resort and hotel.

Room Tip: Check the bath room first, is this is clean you can guarantee the rest will be fine! Ask for a sea...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

As the title suggests this was the second time I have stayed at the hotel.

I found that the hotel had improved since my last stay. Rather than any sweeping changes the hotel has implemented a number of nice touches which when added together makes for a more enjoyable stay.

Location

The hotel is a 10 minute taxi journey (approx €15) from the airport and a bus service is available.

The beach is literally a stones throw away which is perfect if you have young children who want to go down and spend half an hour building a sand castle before returning to the pool.

This area of Mallorca is predominantly geared towards German however as the hotel is at the edge of this area it's not overpowering and sometimes it's nice not to know what the people next to you are blathering on about.

There is a nice promenade along the beach which makes for a nice early morning / evening walk and if you go right (towards Can Pastilla) there is a cycle track you can walk along which offers some stunning coastal views. If you walk / run / cycle long enough you would hit Palma.

There is a sports complex next to the hotel which has five-a-side football pitches, restaurant and children's play area. I saw one reviewer complain about the noise but I enjoyed watching the games from the balcony and we used to have lunch at the restaurant while my son played in the playground so it turned out to be a bonus.

Most of the restaurants offer similar fare but there are good restaurants if you seek them out, especially steak houses. I would ask reception for recommendations.

Hotel

As I said the hotel has improved since my last visit and I would now say it's a solid 4 star.

The rooms are spacious with modern facilities such as Flat Screen TV and telephone.

You can purchase an internet card from reception for €15 which will give you Wi-Fi access from anywhere in the hotel.

There are three pool areas within the hotel. The outdoor pool is split onto two levels. The lower pool area is the larger of the two and has a children's area while the upper pool area is smaller and you find this occupied mostly by those without children. There is also a small indoor pool which is heated and has some nice features such as a jacuzzi.

We never had any trouble getting a sun bed.

I wouldn't recommend going half board as there are plenty of restaurants in the area and eating at the hotel each night could get boring. Breakfast is worth while with a wide range of options and even if you don't go B&B you can buy breakfast for €6 per adult or €2.50 per child.

The hotel has entertainment each night but the busiest night was the children's disco and in general the hotel bar was pretty much deserted the other nights as people tend to go out to eat / drink.

Other than that any request was acted on professionally by staff and I was even allowed a late check-out for €20 which I thought was fair.

To sum-up I would recommend this hotel to everyone apart from young revellers. The fact I used the word reveller probably confirms I'm out that age group now.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Oradea, Romania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

The service was lousy, and the management is not appreciating the coming back guests. My brother-in-law stayed there 12 years in a row, and every time he went there with at least 8-10 friends, but never got any discount, never got a room that he asked for.
Last year our plane landed at 6 am, we were about 20 persons (10 children), we travelled all night and asked in advance for the hotel to get ready at least 1 room (for the kids to sleep). They kept us in the lobby until 3 pm. I consider this kind of ignorance unacceptable.
The food was good, but the service... just like the management, under any expectations :(

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Suva, Fiji
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

My husband and I spent a few days at the Fontanella hotel and in our opinion, we found from day 1 that everything was just fine (except for the weather, of course)! When we checked in, we were met with pleasant staff, very obliging so we felt at ease immediately. We were there very early but there was no problem, they could check us in anyway!

When it came to dinner and breakfast, I pointed out to the manager that I have this gluten and lactose intolerances who wasn’t at all surprised and who guided me around the big buffet table and told me what I could eat or not. He even suggested if they could make something special for me with regards to my food allergies. I, of course said that I have so much to choose from, large variation of salads, fish and meat and fruit, so there was no problems at all. Found the serving personnel very cooperative, even though their English language wasn’t so good, they understood and gave a good service.
The breakfast buffet was also tremendous!! They had this gluten-free bread waiting for me every morning and it really warmed my heart:)) If you have food allergies, don’t worry a bit when you come to Fontanella, there is so much to choose from!!

Our room had old furniture and was very sparsely furnished but the bed was very comfy and TV was working perfectly, even though the programs were in Spanish & German. The beach was perfect – just over the street and the hotel had a good swimming pool, both indoors and outdoors. There was always some kind of entertainments in the evenings so the staff did their best to make one's stay pleasurable. When we left I found that I had forgotten my scarf, which I had received from my daughter and I was a bit sad about that. Took a chance and mailed to the staff at the Fontanella, and guess what, yes, they had my scarf and there was no problem for them to send it to me and which I have received also. Didn't charge anything for posting either so this is really service, 100%!!

I cannot understand the negative reviews which I have read. Maybe some people can try to be positive instead of showing a negative attitude. Everything can be solved so what’s the big deal? As a guest, I have noticed too some other guests, who think that they are something just because they are tourists and they expect the staff to be at their beck and call. Be pleasant and you get the same back, that’s for sure.

My husband and I are definitely coming back and we have already planned a few days at the Fontanella next year, just can’t wait:)

Room Tip: Our room was facing the highway so it was a bit noisy. Will choose the seaview next time, heard that...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

Just having reviewed our trip to Italy, I recalled I haven't posted a review of our trip to Malloraca back in June 2010, so here goes..(June 1-3 2010)

Aparthotel Fontanellas Playa was excellent. Staff in particular were really helpful, and caring. We stayed half board and the food was grande. Very nice breakfasts, with lots of fruits and juice to choose from. Lovely hotel close to the popular beach front - would recommend highly.

Room Tip: Always ASK!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

BE WARNED - The indoor pool is closed in the summer and this includes the jacuzzi.

We booked the hotel in October 2011 for the 'advertised' spa facilites and indoor pool area only to find out the above on arrival.

When we 'had a word' they said the summer was now over and they would open up the pool. but again note, it was not heated (as advertised) and the jacuzzi and water spa jets (as advertised) in the pool were never switched on while we were there. Every day we asked, every day they said tomorrow…

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
newcastle upon tyne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

We arrived at about 5.30pm on the evening of Saturday 10th September not having made any reservation, we were looking for a place on the edge of town away from the bars & shops. Very pleased to be offered a one bedded apartment on the top floor of four, we inspected the apartment, very clean with equipment and facililites good enough for 4 nights peace and quiet and restful evenings talking and sipping wine on the balconey. The apartment was facing the sea & promenade, no one walking past hotel as the swimming pool was at the front of the hotel ( which closes at 8.30pm). There was a foot path to the left of the pool which had 3 x five a side football pitchs and a tennis court, beach hut and childrens playground, presumming it was part of the hotel we accepted the room ( 130 euro per night).
The balcony at this time was our only concern as the design leaves no privacy as they are open plan with only a small waist height wall and a strip of vertical plaster and next door could see directly in to our room and are on full view when seated on the balcony ( Very uncomfortable)
BUT ! worse to come was the football pitches DID NOT belong to the hotel ( which looked as if the did from the balcony) thinking, because the pool closes at 8.30pm the rest of the facilities would (we should have been told thisn when booking in )
For 4 terrible stressful nights the floodlight pitches were in full use, 30 grown men (not children) played in full light, whistle blowing, ball thudding & echoing, men chantting and clapping until after midnight ( yes after midnight).
I complained on the Monday night to be told nothing to do with the hotel and is open every night till midnight and after 12 the police are informed.
Very dismissive staff ( not his problem, shoulder shrugging, palms of hands out stretched, reduction not possible and looked away, very rude.

So if you want a peacefull, quite stay , romantic nights then stay away from this hotel.

No wonder there are plenty rooms available, the were less than half full.

Geoff and Elaine mid fifties from Newcastle

Room Tip: There is not one
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Aparthotel Fontanellas Playa? Share your experiences!