“Just Back” 3 of 5 stars

West Yorkshire england
“Just Back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Well just back.
I can say the room we had 418 overlooking the harbour which we paid extra for was the best part of the holiday, the views were well worth it. The room not, very tatty and basic more 2 star. On arrival told reception the shower was not fixed to the wall bracket, said they would fix it but they didnt. So each shower you had to stand and hold the shower head in your hand over your head, my wife was not impressed!!

Food was ok plenty of choice but after a while got fed up with pork, chicken or fish main meals. Not impressed with Restaurant or shall I say canteen which is a good choice from previous posts as any hotel I have been too waiters or staff have had black trousers and white shirts on but this one they had black trousers and yellow tea shirts on, more like a Haven Caravan Site. I actually felt sick when a certain staff member was working as each time he cleared a table instead of lifting the plates and depositing the waste in a bin he actualy scraped the remains of the meal from each plate onto the table cover while we were eating our food then scooped the table cloth off the table. DISGUSTING!!
Noise from the main poolannoying. I am no prude but even with the choice of 3 pools the music from main pool was going all day and filled up with younger kids so peace and quiet limited.

When we arrived we wereasked for deposits of £10 euros each for all inclusive wristband, this was insulting as we go all inclusive twice a year and have never came across this. Also why does the French guests have green bands and the English Blue bands????

Glasses for us were an issue we have never came across this before. Fair enough at pool area but on an all inclusive holiday to go for lunch and evening meal and be served your wine etc in plastic cups to me was insulting it just doesnt taste the same.

Think that covers my review. Best thing was the sea view we paid for. When handing the keys back into reception the receptionist didnt even say have you had a good holiday or goodbye so that about summs it up for us, we wont go back.

It was supposed to be a cheap deal £650.00 for 2 for the week but we ended up paying more out to eat out. I will say Churchill Restaurant at the bottom of the Hotel has lovely owners, make you very welcome and food is brilliant and reasonabley priced if you get fed up with the canteen!!!

Room Tip: Pay extra for harbour view

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Polish first
Stourport on Severn, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Well I was looking forward to this holiday with my family, cost £625 for 8 days. Well it was August. The hotel is all inclusive so that was ok until we got there , I new we had to drink from plastic cups but I thought that was just by the pool but no even with our meals and in the bar when you pay , not good at all. By the by the food was not bad but boring. The service was ok but the dinning roon was like a canteen and loud, it was also very hot we did ask for the windows to be opened but they said no. Our room was clean but did need looking at and no fridge. The place it's self is nice and would go back but not to that hotel. As for towels the French are as bad as the Germans only they leaf them on the beds all night so no chance of a sun bed . So this cheap holiday cost a lot more as we went to the beach most days and had lunch out and dinner as it was to uncomfortable in the dinning room. I could go on but forget it go somewhere else .....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Just got home from the puerto del sol and thought the hotel was fantastic value for money situated at the cala egos side of the marina its around 20 min walk into the centre and 10-15 mins walk to the beach the rooms were neat and tidy nothing special but very clean, all inclusive was pretty much the same as every other all inclusive ive been on ie pasta chips pizza and various meats drinks finish at 1030pm but you can stay in the bar that over looks the marina if you want to pay that is, that been said its not as expensive as some reviews sugest its 4 euros a pint which is pretty much average around the marina and is open till 1am, overall great value for money and would defo go back to the sol!

• Stayed September 2013
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My parents paid for me to go on a week holiday for my 26th birthday and having told Palia Puerto Del Sol was lovely, they chose here.Weeks before our arrival we had requested a quiet room. When we got there we had to pay 10 Euros each for a blue wristband which enabled us to receive our food and drinks as it was all inclusive. Next we were taken to the dining hall for our 'last minute arrival tea' which was nice of them to provide, a rock hard bread bun a few pieces of fruit and some ham which all looked like it had been left out for some time.
Next we were taken to our 'quite room'. instantly we heard boom boom music from the 'Discotec'. Our room was a top floor which was a bonus but right at the end of the carpark opposite their disco so we heard the thudding music until 1am and then people coming out and making a noise after. (we decided one night to have a peek at this disco which started at 8pm- it was in a basement and smelt yuk!!
The room its self was large and clean but to basic. I would describe the room as just a shell. in the bathroom, the door would scrape along the bottom on the tiles when opening/closing, the toilet wasn't even bolted down, therefore moved when you moved. The tiles were all chipped and nasty. The curtains by the balcony where hanging off the rings. I slept on the sofa/beds in the lounge area as my parents had the bedroom, these were rock hard. The furniture was very noisy, I can only imagine what guests below us heard when walking around/ opening doors ect... ( get a top room!). After two noisy nights we move to a quieter room on the otherside of the complex- much quieter. This room was much smaller and worse. The fridge in the empty kitchen stunk to the high heavens and was all rusty inside. The phone and tv didn't even work, hooks on the walls put no pictures what so ever and the shower just had a holder for the shower head so when the water was turned on it shot out at the wall so had to shower holding it ( inconvenient for girls!)Also they could see there were 3 of us but never provided a 3rd blanket so my dad ended up with just a thin sheet on him at night. The accommodation was very sprawling, apartments everywhere! which all was very lacking in any care and character, it felt like whey just wanted to cram us all in and take our money for crap and very unwelcoming accommodation. There are 3 pools. One by the bar is constantly banging out Magaluf type music all day so we went to the quieter pool which was nice. The sunbeds are naff and you have to get their early and put a towel on a bed to hold it.
The dining hall is ok and the food not to bad, quite repetitive and chips are reheated from the night before. Staff are quite loud in throwing the cutlery ect in the draws. One evening we approached the dining hall at literally 6.58pm ( dinner starts at 7pm which is a bit late in my opinion if travelling with young children) doors where open so we went in, a few other guests also. My dad had already put a piece of fish on his plate when a waitress yelled at us 'Not 7pm yet get out!!! two mintues, everyone out!!!' waving her arms at us to get out. My dad put down his plate and we all stood out the door. 2 mins later 'ok you can come in now' ridiculous!!!
Also there is a balcony overlooking the lovely marina, you cannot go out there until after 10.30pm paying customers only!! have we not just paid for all inclusive???
So to sum up our stay at Palia Puerto Del Sol.....we left two days earlier and the night porter even helped us to book our earlier flights out of there!! (they didn't even ask us why we were leaving early- other people were complaining at reception as we were waiting for our taxi to leave)
I would not recommend these apartments to family's and older couples. They are more suited to young groups who are just looking to drink and party in my opinion....as in both rooms we had young people (younger than myself) making a noise until early hours. One neighbour coming in at 4am so not the ideal place for a quite relaxing holiday.
On the bright side... The Marina is lovely- go to Porta Cari restaurant for a coffee/meal its right on the marina by the Palia apartments. Also The Cala D'Or yacht club is lovely on the marina. The night markets are nice and only 5 mins by taxi- 5 euros. Cala Esmerelda beach is nice. There is a little train shuttle that leaves from Palia but we waited and couldn't fit on. It worked out 2 euros cheaper for us to get our own taxi there and back! only 5 euros each way. Also there is a nice little café at the top- delicious affordable food, we hired sunbeds and a parasol (4 euros each)
Carol and Pau were very helpful and accommodating even though poor Carol was rushed of here feet from being understaffed.
We will not be coming back to this place which is a shame as it has so much potential!

Room Tip: we had room 27 which is on the quieter garden side of the complex. Request a top floor room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I'm A 28 Year old male from Southampton, England, just returned from a weeks holiday with my woman!

Please read all ... starts off bad, but gets better!

As far as the all inclusive side goes, don't get to excited... San Miguel on tap was a nice drop if you like a beer, other than that the Sangria and wine was ok, but the spirits were like paint stripper... question whether they were even legal! Food was very samey... pork ..fish... pork again ... oh and were gifted with mussels one night and the occasional bit of chicken... in fairness the food was pretty similar to other hotel food I've had in spain, but don't expect filet steak or a bit of salmon en crute! My woofie pie (girlfriend) did rate the salads though, but personally don't travel all those miles for rabbit food!

I thought the rooms were very clean, spacious and was happy with the cleaners daily sweep. However, a bit annoying that the shower head kept falling off most days, especially the day it fell on woofie pie's head and she squealed like a fox! Rooms were air conditioned throughout and even had a TV, which was good for a bbc news catchup while the woof was putting her slap on! At 4am one night I did think the room was swarmed by cock croaches only to realise I was still pissed and staring in the dark at Opal fruit wrappers I had thrown on the floor the night before!

The hotel has a lovely pool by the bar and an adult only one, which we didn't really go to because we liked the short trip to a bar to fuel up on San Miguels. Also it seemed more entertaining as there was a funny bunch from Blackpool, who you could watch all afternoon... They were a right crack and just proved that English are far more entertaining than the French .... 'ARIGHT TOMMY!!'

Warning... This is a French run hotel and all the entertainment is French! Even by the nice pool they like to play loud French hideous music on distorted speakers for a couple of hours which was quite disturbing and not necessary... as I don't even think the French wanted it on!

Cala D'or it's self is spot on lovely town, beaches and craking marina. The hotel is situated on the marina, which as beautiful on the eye and even views from the eatery are a moment to embrace! The walk round to cala D'or takes apporx 20 mins but is pleasurable and has bars and restaurants along the marina on the way. Cala Forti... is the nearest beach, which was lovely and quiet and has a small cafe where you can get a beer, food or coffe... avoid the milk shakes! It also has th fruit man come down, who makes the holiday... he goes to all the Beaches in Cala D'or selling coconuts, pineapples and melons and is an absolute fruit loop (excuse the pun!) kept me entertained though! A nice bar which is a stone throw away from the hotel is smugglers.

In summary, I think you generally get what you pay for with this, I got it for £560 all inclusive. Cala D'or is really nice, it attracts a good sort and would recommend going to the region! Hotel is nicely situated on the Marina, nice beach close by and pleanty of place to eat, drink and be merry! Duggens (an irish bar) in the town centre is good for live music and a worthy visit!!

Have a good one if you decide to go!

Yours Sincerely,

King Ted

Bexhill, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

After flight delays and waiting for our transfer, we arrived at the apartments. We were shown to our rooms and told to meet back at reception to be shown down to the restaurant where they had laid on a cold buffet for late arrivals. Although this didn't beat a nice hot meal it was very much appreciated. The complex itself is very large but you do get a map!
The all inclusive does end at 10.30 and you do have to pay 20euro for the wrist band but then thats standard for most places so I wasn't surprised when we paid that. The food was good, sometimes a bit limited for a veggie but no complaints from anyone in our group and always lots of choice of salads, meats, fish.
The pools were lovely and clean (a previous comment said about excessive chlorine smells but I didn't get that at all) We used the adult pool by the restaurant and the pool by the bar and both had benefits - the adult pool was very quiet, I could imagine in high season there would be a lack of sun beds tho. The pool bar was always lively with music and games so if you don't want that you have other options!
There was a 15-20min walk to the nearest beach which was crowded as it is quite small but there is a little train that takes you around Cala D'Or and only costs 2euro per trip so you could go anywhwere. The main centre of Cala D'Or is again about 15-20min walk with lots of nice restaurants and bars and a bit more lively than the marina.
The whole place if very clean and well looked after and I would recommend this to anyone that wants a nice relaxing get away. Probably not the best place for kids as there weren't many activities geared towards them (but we did go beginning of Sept after the kids had gone back to school)
Some of the reviews said it was geared towards the French and yes the evening entertainment was in French but I didn't feel that way at all, there were lots of different nationalities (all wearing blue and green bands) and the staff were a credit to the complex speaking a multitude of languages to make sure all the guest were understood.
Overall we were impressed, a few little quirks - not opening the patio doors of the restaurant but im sure there is a valid reason for this. Great place to stay and large apartment rooms left over from when it was self catering, big thumbs up from us!

Blaenau FFestiniog
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Daytime activities round the pool could not be better, archery,guns,darts,water polo,various games.Night time,I think a disco started at 2300 or there about. The all-inc was supposed to last till 1030, but 1st night it stopped 2220. Ran out of vodka another night and when I reached down a bottle, I was told it was for paying customers only. Ladies not to happy with that!!! No tea/coffee available for supper,only wine or beer!! As for the layout of the food, well, teabags were kept amongst the fruit!! Took 2 days to find. Butter was amongst the ice cream!! The breakfast was the best one I have had overseas just about. Proper bacon & sausages.On most evenings, the stench of sewage would waft up from the harbour or from the other side. Not pleasant at all, My wife,daughter,boyfriend 2 grandkids & I were there from )1/09/13-08/09/12. Like the rest we all had to pay the 12 Euro for the band

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Palia Puerto Del Sol? Share your experiences!