“Hidden jewel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Cala Bona
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Hidden jewel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

When we arrived at the Hotel Cala Bona my concern was the age of most residents - 60 plus - after a few days I realised why! These people have been coming here for years and I now know why. What a great hotel! Efficient helpful staff, clean rooms, fantastic food and great evening entertainment. Family run with the owner in amongst the guests for dinner most evenings, the lovely Sebastian managing the hotel. Initially un happy with our room but we were moved within 24 hours with no fuss. By the end of our stay we realised there were more people our age at the hotel and made some good friends. The only negative comment would be that the "complex" is made up of 5 separate buildings one of them being a distance from the main hotel, having said that the stroll along the port in good weather is a treat. We will definitely be re visiting the Cala Bona Hotel

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

my parner and i arrived back in britain tuesday (25th september 2012).the hotel and staff couldnt do enough for us..we only had a basic room but thats all we wanted was to sleep and be comfotable and clean...nightly entertainment with street entertainers all to a very high standard..the restaurant had plenty of choice and they will cater for different diets..i would strongly recommemed this hotel..and would to thank all staff for a fantastic holiday..

devon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

we found the resort small but with beautiful small inlets which we prefer to one long beach, plenty of bars with live entertainment. the hotel had prime position in main square where the street entertainers performed at night. we went half board and breakfast was varied and plentiful but found the evening meal was often luke warm which is often the case with buffet and not enough variety of fresh vegetables
the balcony of our room was too close to the opposite buildings balcony so you had to be aware of your state of dress first thing in the morning but i am nit picking as we both enjoyed our stay

Room Tip: make a fuss i wish we had
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Torremolinos-Málaga, Andalucia, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a week at the start of September. The hotel is very clean and the majority of the staff are helpful and friendly although someone at reception could have been friendlier. Our room was in the bar building, on the top floor and had lovely views overlooking the harbour and sea. The room itself was very modern which is no surprise seeing as the rooms have recently been refurbished. Seeing as we paid out a considerable amount for this room I wasn't too pleased that we then had to pay to use the safety deposit box which I thought was a bit cheap on their behalf. The entertainment in the hotel seemed alright but honestly we went out most of the time so wouldn't be able to give a fair review on it. We did however play bingo one night which was a total rip off. You pay cash to play and if you win they reward you with points off your next stay. This isn't very good if you don't plan on visiting the area again and just another way of the hotel squeezing money from you. The food here is excellent, with a variety to suit all needs. At breakfast you can choose from cereals, cooked breakfast, fruit and pancakes and for dinner there was something new to choose from every night. The pool area looked ok but it was slightly overcrowded for my liking so we went to the beach mostly in Cala Millor so again wouldn't be able to give a fair review on that part of the hotel. The hotel itself is in a good location with nice views and if you're an older person you'll love your stay there. If like me you're a bit younger then the area is ok and worth a visit but you wouldn't head back in a hurry.

Room Tip: Top floor on the bar building are the rooms you want to go for. Cost a little bit more than a standa...
Redcar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

My husband and I were recommended to this hotel and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone I know. I have stayed in many hotels in England and abroad and have never been treat with such respect and friendliness as in the Hotel Cala Bona. From reception staff to cleaners, bar staff and restaurant staff their attitude was wonderful, friendly and helpful and always with a smile!!!
We had a superior room overlooking the marina with a huge balcony and sunbeds and it was wonderful and relaxing to just sit and watch the world go by. The standard of entertainment on a night was always good sometimes excellent. Their is plenty to do in this resort and more if you walk ten minutes down the promenade to Calla Millor. But a holiday is what you make it and we have never returned to a hotel in 30 years until we came to this one. We have already booked again for next year !!

Room Tip: Sea View rooms are really worth paying that little extra for in this hotel
cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Life can be soooo busy and i can be sooo forgetful but after my holiday in Ibiza this year 2012 I felt I had to let y'all know about the Cala Bona hotel in Majorca where we stayed in Swptember 2011 Half Board. The whole reason for staying at the Cala Bona hotel was because they cater for coeliacs, not just those of us with a gluten intolerance but those officially coeliac. You may have read in my other blurb that i have been gluten free for nearly 20 years now.

The hotel is a little different from most hotels as it is spread over a number of sites across Cala Bona. Our first room was a sea view in a complex a little way down the promenade but by a loud bar. Not good for a 2 year old. We got hastily moved to an apartment on the first floor in a block of apartments with (Kitchen, lounge, bathroom etc..) that was a little walk from the main hotel. The room was atop a small Supermarket, the views were of a crossroads and the English bar over the road could be extremely loud but it was home from home and we really liked the place. It was spacious and palatial compared to our first room. Lots of room for little one to run around both inside and out (Huge Balcony) and it felt like you were a local! You could shut out the outside world at night and sleep in the comfort of the air con.

Ok not everyone cup of tea but this twinned with the fine food on offer and the other people there (you don’t say that very often do you!) made for a lovely stay.

Yes we thought the food was extremely good for a 3 star. Probably the best we have had. Sebastien (Thanks!) was great and he introduced me to the Gfree Breakfast Bar where I had GFree bread, cereals, yoghurts and meat in a designated GFree corner with a fridge. The buffet had the usual breakfast fair that I could eat as well if I fancied. Following breakfast each morning we stopped off at reception to choose from a gluten free menu for the evening meal. You could order say gluten free battered fish for the evening meal and at dinner Sebastien again would explain which foods on the buffet were gluten free and you could eat your fish and then go up for more. Which I did on many occasions. I put on lots of weight which made a refreshing change for me on holiday!!

The pool was a lovely roof top affair. It looked out onto mountains and was very relaxing if you got there early to place your towels on some sunbeds. I absolutely hate having to do the sunbed chase in the morning but the little one needed shade and that was the only way I could guarantee it. A nice baby pool and decent adult pool. They even served G Free beer so i had to partake in a couple each day.

The beaches in Cala Bona were not for me. I demand sand on a beach and the beaches are gritty sand that is hard to walk on bare foot. A 20 minute walk gets you to Cala Millor which has a great big long sandy beach. However, what you gain one hand you lose in another as Cala Millor is extremely busy, with lots of bars and a banging nightlife scene.

Cala Bona itself was lovely and quiet at night and each night we walked around the headland to the North. Nice and relaxing no nightclubs and no banging pubs just donkey rides, restaurants and a few shops.

I would recommend getting a taxi from the airport as 1.5 hours on a coach can be a bind and remove the cycle lane from the middle of the promenade its bleedin dangerous for little ones who just want to run around a bit and dads who have to chase after them!

Room Tip: The new premium rooms apparently are the best!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

My Wife and I have just reurned from another outstanding sty at the Cala Bona Hotel. We made a late booking and thought we would have problems with wheelchair access, but no such problem on arrival owner Sebastian was straight onto the computer and sorted out our accomoation. Once again we were met by the friendly staff assisting us all the way to make our stay enjoyable. The food was excellent and the modernised dining room added to the enjoyment. Even though the hotel was busy we never felt rushed and there was plenty of beds an umbrellas around the pool. The evening entertainment was of a good standard with an "il divo" quartet being the highlight. We arevisit next already looking forward to another visit next year.

Room Tip: Ask about the disable friendly rooms they are first class
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Cala Bona? Share your experiences!