“Wonderful hotel would book again” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Protur Bonaire Aparthotel

You added Protur Bonaire Aparthotel to your Saves list
Protur Bonaire Aparthotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ctra Cala Bona-Costa los Pinos s/n, 07559 Cala Bona, Majorca, Spain   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Cala Bona
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful hotel would book again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is absolutely amazing for children and adults it ticks all the boxes, it's so good that we are planning on returning next year.
Rooms are beautifully decorated and very spacious we were in block 2 and although you can hear the music it didn't really bother us and anyway your on holiday!. The splash pool is brilliant with lots to keep the kids entertained, on certain days the crèche is open for toddler time which I would recommended all the toys are clean and are supplied from mothercare.
The entertainment staff especially nutty Nathan are excellent and all ages will love Thomson the dog which comes out at lunchtime and at tea time live. The hotel staff are so friendly and the food is excellent with lots of choice. We went all inclusive which meant we could eat at the BBQ which I must say is delicious. Only thing I would like to see changed are the sun beds some are broken and not very comfy. Overall this is a fantastic hotel and if you visit make sure you take a walk to the harbour in cala bona it's beautiful.

• Stayed September 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
wrexham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

This review is a little late sorry - came back end of August from a fabulous 11 nights at this brilliant hotel. This was our third time and we were so happy that after not going last year, the reception, restaurant, bar and the lovely Manager remembered us! Lorena who works at the splash-pool bar even remembered our eldest son's name! I like to try different places but this hotel really does tick all the boxes. It is exceptionally clean, the food is spot on and the atmosphere is so friendly. We met up with friends again from couple of years ago and also met knew ones.
My boys are 13 and 9, they too loved it there and my eldest, who I was a bit unsure whether or not it would be too young now for him, immediately said on our return home - "can we go next year please?" says it all really.
Just to finish, please don't listen to the other poor reviews for this hotel (in the minority) where the staff consistently work their very hardest, it does not deserve it. I will say the Thomson reps have been better but the ones that were there did work hard and gave a lot of guests plenty of enjoyment.
A very big thank you for a fab holiday at the Bonaire, we have again booked for next year and are counting down the days .....enjoy!!

Room Tip: Blocks 3,4,5 on the back are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rotherham, S.Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks at the beginning of September, Me, my partner and our Daughters aged, 2 (almost 3) and 15 months old. Before we book a holiday, we thoroughly research it, we hate to be disappointed, with this hotel we were not! Actually we were very happy with it, the children's splash pool which is quite new is amazing for babies up to about 6 years old I would say, I think if children are older it may not keep the, entertained for as long. However the hotel also has a huge pool for all ages and our children also enjoyed that! We The Tompson entertainment is fantastic, there is plenty to get involved in & plenty of visits from the Thomson Dog day & night. We went self catering as there are sooo many beautiful restaurants to eat at in Cala Bona with or without children. We did eat at the hotel sometimes in the day around the bigger pool. They have a lovely buffet with fresh fish & meat, veg, salad etc... It was quite expensive for a day time snack... The snack bar at the kiddies splash pool is not good though, it's chips, pizza etc...but within 2 mins you can eat at the other pool. If you are thinking of going AI, do it when you are there as its much cheaper! The hotel staff were very friendly & helpful. The hotel is very clean, one small thing I would say is that the cleaners of the room weren't amazing, but it wasn't bad enough for us to complain about, little things like the balcony never being cleaned when the room was. There is a supermarket close by for all amenities, the hotel is in a great position as within minutes you are on the Cala Bona harbour with many lovely places to eat & drink, the beach in Cala millor is better than Cala Bona as its lovely sand and clear turquoise waters, just beautiful! You can walk there within 20 minutes and its a lovely walk with loads of shops, restaurants to pass by. I would definitely go back to this hotel - and we don't usually say that as we like to travel to new places. But for us and our young family it was almost perfect!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2301, block 2 .. It over looked the main pool and if we wanted to stay in at night...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Surrey, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We have just returned from ten days at the Bonaire on an all-inclusive basis. We had a nice holiday, travelling with a two year old and a baby but wouldn't consider returning.

The hotel is great for kids, which is why we chose it. There are plenty of high chairs in the restaurant and the cots, playpens etc provided in the rooms are of a high quality but if you have no children, avoid this hotel like the plague! We were travelling off-peak which meant that the children were young so the hotel wasn't too chaotic, but I imagine in the middle of August with the older children and their lilos and water pistols in the pool, it would be chaos!

A hotel with so much entertainment is probably more appropriate for older children than toddlers. The whole concept of "organised fun" is not really our thing, and although our daughter loved the mini-disco and Thomson the Dog, we couldn't bear to go to the evening entertainment more than a few evenings out of the holiday because it was all very amateur and made us cringe somewhat. We found sitting round the pool listening to the constant music, inane chatter on the microphones and organised activities quite tiring after a while, though can appreciate that some people would enjoy it. The entertainment team couldn't be faulted for their enthusiasm in spite of their sometimes fake smiles, but some of the kids reps made it clear they did not really want to be on stage. We had one day of rain where the entertainment moved inside and the inside bar reminded me of a working man's club with décor from the 1970s. It's in definite need of a refurb!

Our room (5008) was very noisy and as we have small children, we intended on putting them to bed and then sitting on the balcony with a few drinks. Unfortunately the noise from the stage made this impossible, as even with the balcony doors closed, we could hear everything so we had to sit in the lounge, which was disappointing as we can do that at home. The loudest event of all was the Broadway evening, which I believe was also the reps cabaret, which was ridiculously loud to the point that it really annoyed me. I can't imagine there are many rooms where you could escape the noise from the stage so if your children are very light sleepers, it may be worth bearing this in mind and asking for a quiet room. Even in the day there was noise from the road if we tried to sit on the balcony. We considered asking for a room change but decided it was too much hassle with the kids.

Don't expect much from the children's buffet, it's basically chips, beans and burgers with one more option every single lunch and dinner time with yoghurts and cakes as desserts. Luckily our daughter didn't realise she could choose her own food so we could restrict her chip intake but it would be a battle with the older kids! Lunch at the splash pool is burgers, pizzas and chips, though there is a slightly wider choice at the main pool bar. It's served as a buffet so if you don't eat at the beginning some of the food looks quite grim, so I would recommend a fresh chicken baguette that is cooked fresh.

We initially intended on booking B&B but decided to go AI as it didn't work out that much more expensive by the time we had bought drinks and ice creams around the pool every day. We ate our evening meal in the hotel a couple of times but couldn't have done it every night for the whole holiday. The dining room staff are lovely but the room itself needs a refurb as it's soulless, lacking in atmosphere and the food is mediocre. Breakfast is of a higher standard than dinner but eating in a hotel every night is not our idea of fun so perhaps that influences our opinion. The drinks in the pool bar were served in disposable cups and the food on plastic plates and, whilst I can understand why they don't use glass, it made it feel very down market.

The rooms are nice, recently refurbished with everything you need as long as you aren't really planning on cooking. The shower is very weak, the room only gets cleaned five times a week and the cleaners literally only make the beds and give a quick sweep and that's it. (The curtain had got caught behind our cot and hadn't been moved at all after the cleaners had been in- They definitely don't move any furniture to clean!) The beds are quite hard and the sheets quite scratchy but in a hotel of that type I wouldn't expect anything else.

We hired a sterliser which was really useful, and they also provided a bottle warmer. When we first used our microwave at around 10pm at night, we discovered it didn't work and our toilet wouldn't flush. Within 15 minutes we had a new microwave and fixed toilet. Very impressed with the service, and the reception staff were very friendly and helpful.

The resort of Cala Bona is pretty with some lovely restaurants (our favourite was Oliva) and the hotel is ideally located at the end of the resort. We got the mini-train to Cala Millor, which as a resort felt much bigger and less authentic although the beach was nicer. It did surprise us that the staff virtually everywhere came from the UK or other European countries but I suppose that is just Majorca. Having been to Menorca and Ibiza previously, it wasn't what we expected though.

All in all I would summarise this hotel as clean, safe and suitable for children and exactly what I expected from a Thomson Family Resort. I think 4* is pushing it a bit but the apartments do meet this standard and it's expensive for what it is. If you like English entertainment, food and an easy holiday then it's an ideal choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without a pool view!
Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

one of the smartest apartments we have stayed in.Thomson staff very good gareth very helpful we booked this last minute our kids all grown up note we new it was a kids hotel they do a good job for familes,However the constant voice of the girl rep was like a buzz saw after many hours of screeching at the pool area this goes on till late not relaxing at and in the evening the noise can be heard 100yrs near to the bip supermarket they must get a lot of complaints from locals as its 7 days a week. Suggest thomson use a noise meter to see how bad this impacts on the local enviroment. They need to cut it all out and know its very bad for the hotel as we wouldnt return for this reason. The Resort stops all entertaintment in the area at 12 midnight the best hotel for entertaintment was the atolon grat entertaintment mowtown and soul acts wow factor the caves of drach great, Word on CHIRIS RESTAURANT the most vile food we ever ate in our life avoid this place. To cycle is wonderful we went beyond porto christo to the romantic beaches, beautiful, and the beach at los pinos is great the beach bar the best food in town the owner is very hands on and a singer is on a monday lovely spot.

Room Tip: block 3 ground floor very quiet here we got a fab sleep black out curtains
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This was our first time and yes we would go back.

We are a family of three and stayed 10 nights at Bonarie in August half board.

We thought the Thompson reps were excellent especially Nutty Nathan and Krazy Kayla I have never seen people work this hard.

Pros:
Excellent Entertainment Team
Good food (Buffet and Italian Restaurant)
Nice pools
Good kids clubs
The children are very safe
Extremely clean public areas and apartment
BIP supermarket close to hand
Friendly and helpful hotel reception
Cala bona is a nice little resort
Lifeguard onsite

Cons:
The Safe in the room you had to pay for
Occasional smell of drains one side of the pool
Wi-fi only in lounge area, and a little slow

Room Tip: email the hotel directly and ask for block 4 or 5, we did this and were given an excellent room with...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sheffield, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Don't get me wrong, almost everything about this hotel is great but there is one thing that I really hated about the holiday and it is my reason for only giving three out of five. The mattress on the bed was terrible. It was much harder than I'm used to and every night I struggled to sleep and woke up with a lot of pain in my neck and back. After two nights I asked at reception if they had anything else but they didn't so I tried padding it with blankets. This made no difference at all so I spent the rest of the holiday on the sofa which was much softer. My wife wasn't fond of the bed either but could sleep on it better than I could and was happy to have more room in it once I'd gone!

Apart from that, the only thing that bugged us was the Thomson staff; they weren't overly helpful. The two times we had questions for them, they either told us a load of nonsense (we asked for some activities and instead, followed their advice and ended up at a welcome meeting even though we'd been there for five days already) or simply said they couldn't help at all. The entertainment is also very loud and unrelenting but it's just not to our taste (and at the age of two, our daughter was still too young to appreciate it). I'm sure older children would get much more out of it.

That's all the bad, the rest was good or great. The staff are the best thing about the hotel. They are all extremely friendly and helpful, especially at reception. We had a problem with our booking where we thought we'd booked a late checkout (as it seemed to be automatically included on the booking, turns out we may have been wrong). At the time we were convinced we should have had it so asked both reception and the reps (sent to their 24 hour text number which promises a reply within an hour). We never heard from Thomsons at all but in the morning, the receptionist arranged for us to use the Restroom (basically a room with everything but a bed). It had a cot so our daughter got her nap and we were able to store our things and enjoy the last day of our holiday (as our transfer picked us up at 8:30pm and regular checkout is at noon).

I've read some reviews saying the hotel looks as though it is getting worse but I couldn't see it. To me it looks to have been through a modernisation quite recently. The rooms were excellent condition and everything looked new. Interestingly, the Restroom we were given on the last day looked different so I assume this is what they looked like before the upgrade. Despite this, it still didn't look bad.

The only thing I'd say about the rooms is that it's a shame they aren't cleaned every day (the cleaners come five days a week). Apart from the two days they don't come, we missed two other days cleaning as they must have come when we were in (with our daughter napping in the middle of the day). Despite putting the "please clean" sign out once we left the room (no later than 2pm) they didn't come back so in a week, the room was only cleaned three times. Not a big deal for us but other people may not be happy with this.

Overall we had a good holiday but the bed is the reason I will never go back. I go on holiday to relax but if I can't sleep I'm essentially paying a fortune for discomfort and pain and come home more tired than when I left.

I've not seen anyone else complain about this so I'm certainly in the minority but if you like a softer mattress, think twice before you book this hotel. Otherwise, I'm sure you'll enjoy your holiday!

Room Tip: The back of block four is quietest. You can request a room via e-mail before you travel. We did this...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Protur Bonaire Aparthotel? Share your experiences!