“Good Family Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Protur Bonaire Aparthotel

You added Protur Bonaire Aparthotel to your Saves list
Protur Bonaire Aparthotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ctra Cala Bona-Costa los Pinos s/n, 07559 Cala Bona, Majorca, Spain   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Cala Bona
Notts
“Good Family Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Just returned from a weeks stay at the Hotel and overall i am impressed with it, the hotel and grounds are spotless, the apartments are average in size, modern and kept gleaming by the cleaners that do a great job 5 days a week, clean towels & linen are plentifull, my only gripe is the beds were not very comfy, the pools are fantastic & i have returned gutted that we did not get to enjoy them as the weather was so poor (unlucky week) although we did use the indoor pool which was a little on the cool side! Childrens activities provided by Thomson are good my eldest (8) really enjoyed kids club & the staff were fantastic we were thankfull of this due to the poor weather... Be aware though if your self catering you have to pay €3 a session & €8 for the chocolate party. My toddler & baby made good use of the indoor & outdoor play areas too.
Thomson staff do a good job of trying to keep all entertained with games & quizes etc if thats your thing but are polite & curtious if not.
Tried the hotel restaurant once for lunch (€15 per adult ) & was so dissapointed requested a refund which was given straight away... The choice was very little my kids eat nothing & the food i had was bland! We ate at the pool and indoor snack bar a few times & food was average for a hotel snack bar but the service was fantastic Dani & Miguel go above & beyond and really make an effort with the kids & parents they were always chatty, happy & helpful.
Cala Bona is nice, clean & great for familys but very (english) not really my thing it was difficult to find an authentic dining experience but if you like, guinness, curry & sky sports your in luck!! Would recommend El Pestoror italian & Cafe Nautica ( very spanish).
So overall if the sun had come out for us it would of been a great week away as the hotel was impressive for the bargain price i paid.

Room Tip: Block 4 gets the sun, block 5 on the back gets none.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
Norwich, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

This is going to be a pretty long review, but I hope to cover all areas as i have seen it.

Firstly the welcome.
We (my wife, son and I) had hired a car for the week and pulled into Cala bona about midday to be greeted with the front of the Protur Bonaire. Our first impressions were good. the place was neat and tidy and the car park and exterior were really well kept. We entered the door and were greeted by a lady at reception and served straight away. The welcome was good. Our Spanish isn't great but the reception staff spoke great English. The welcome pack was a little disappointing, poorly photocopied and not as extensive as we would have wished. We did feel a little rushed, but this is a minor niggle.

The room:
Really nice, modern, clean and functional. Decent size T.V. Nice bathroom and good sized bedroom. Only down point is the Safe. Why oh why oh why do we have to have the safe as an optional extra? I do dislike paying to use a safe in a room. If the owners feel that it is needed to have one, then please don't charge extra. I also asked for an iron. I was told by reception that they have some available for lending out but they were all out. I asked another 3 times over the first half of the week with no joy, so gave up! The room was missing a bottle opener, which was bought over to us very quickly.

The facilities:
Can't fault it. Not the biggest hotel, but it has all you need a team of staff keep the place in great condition and are constantly cleaning, weeding, mopping and tidying. This hotel works really hard to keep the place in the best condition. The swimming pools were kept really well and were great for the little ones (might be a little too small and simple for the over 10's)

The food:
Buffet food can be a bit hit and miss. This was the same, mostly hit with the odd miss. Part of the problem is that we were there on a quiet week, which makes it much harder to provide a good range of food and keep it nice and fresh. Not bad, but not great. Certainly a decent effort. I was a little annoyed that we hadn't been told that we could have dined at the ala carte Italian for one occasion. I only found this out on the last night (after eating!)

The entertainment:
This hotel is part of the Thomsons family holiday resorts and had 11 staff from Thomson available (seemed like a lot for the level of occupancy?) They did a great job of looking after everyone. We didn't use the kids club as we wanted to spend all of our time together as a family. We did however go to 5 out of the 7 night children’s entertainment with Jazzy Jimmy, Crazy Kayla, Nutty Nathan and Thompson the dog. My son really enjoyed it, he grew in confidence over the week with the songs, (which are now stuck in my head) I thought that this really added to our holiday, thanks all.

The weather was not great for our holiday, but thanks to the staff at both Thomson and the Boniare, we really enjoyed our stay, with only a few small niggles. We may well be back!

Brechin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Just back from this hotel and it was fab, staff were friendly and polite, rooms were big clean and had everything u would need for a holiday, u do need to take washing up liquid, sponge, salt, tea bags, coffee and sugar but u can pick all this up at local shop. If taking kids u can hire everything there, entertainment team r brilliant with Krazy Kala, Nutty Nathan, Jazzy Jimmy and Thomson the dog. One of my favourite nights is Thomsons got talent Kala does tap and modern dance, Nathan stunned us with his singing and Jimmy can do martial arts and the splits which was a bit of a stunner. All the Thomsons crew were first class and if we had any questions, queries or problems they were there all the time. A big thank you to all the Thomsons reps that helped us have a fantastic holiday.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed a week at Easter 2013 for a family holiday with young children. We found it a great place to stay, both the staff at the hotel and the Tompson staff were fantastic. I would definately recommend it.

Room Tip: The roooms either face inwards towards the pool area or outwards towards the countryside. For my mo...
Banstead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Just returned from one week break.

On the plus side, hotel is clean and staff are helpful, polite and friendly. We ate in the restaurant twice - for buffet breakfast (9 Euro p/p) and dinner (15 Euro p/p). We were self catering and so paid extra - It was good value with lots of dishes on offer and attentive waiters.

There is good selection of things for children under 5 such as soft play, slide, paddling pool etc which my son (3) enjoyed. While the hotel does have a kids club, I was disappointed as it only opens from 10-12noon (closed on Thursdays) and then for a couple of hours in the evening when the kids can dance.I don't see the point of 2 hour childcare. The club is run by four holiday reps of which only one seemed to take a passing interest in my child. When I turned up to register, they made no effort to engage with him while I was form filling for about 15mins. They do not take children to the toilet or change nappies (rules and regulation apparently) and I did not feel confident in their ability and so only left my son there once for an hour. I had specifically booked this hotel for the child care so it was very disappointing that it didn't work out.

Our room was on the first floor and it's very noisy - the sound from the entertainment in the bar area carries on until about 11pm and you can hear everything.

The room itself is basic. We did not have a double-bed but rather two single beds put together. In my opinion, this is not a double bed.

The apartment does contain a single item of food- not even a teabag so you need to bring everything if you plan to cook.

The location is fine if you like to be tucked away and quiete. There are several restaurants within a ten minute walk but Cala Millor is a much better location as it's close to a beautiful beach and lots of restaurants and bars, etc.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor.
Aylesbury, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This is a beautiful place to stay, right at the end of Cala Bona so lovely and quiet and a really pleasant walk along the beach front to the harbour. We stayed here mid March so the weather wasn't brilliant but it didn't completely spoil our stay. Our apartment was ground floor spotlessly clean with pool view/balcony although we didn't use the main pool as too cold, the indoor pool was very warm and surprisingly quiet. We were self catering and the equipment in the kitchen was clean and sufficient also the bar/terrace lunches were very good and not too expensive, bar drinks are though so we went out if we wanted a few beers. There are numerous restaurants along the seafront so check the reviews.The children's pool area with ship n slides looked like it would be great fun in warmer weather. Staff were extremely helpful and we hired a buggy for our almost 4 yr old for just 3 euro's a day. Closest supermarket is just 10 min walk and seemed the best value too. In Cala Bona you can hire bikes/novelty flintstone type quadricycle and it takes approx half an hour along cycle path next to seafront to get to Cala Millor which is much larger than Cala Bona with sand artists on the beach and more choices of bars/places to eat. Will be going back for sure even if just to Cala Bona as this accomodation is pretty pricey in school holidays.

Room Tip: As positioned at the end of town and in rural location can't imagine any rooms would have a bad...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hull
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Just got back from the Protur Bonaire Aparthotel.
The whole place was spotless. The staff well trained
and well mannered.
Check-in was quick and efficient. Check-out exactly
the same.
The apartment was roomy, well furnished and equipped.
The Thomson reps at the hotel, especially Tiffany,
were efficient and friendly.
We were self-catering, so I can't comment on the
restaurant but we could have upgraded to all-inclusive
or half board for a reasonable sum.
The kitchen area was compact but workable and there
are plenty of places to eat out a short stroll away.
The 'Bip' Supermarket has everything needed. Not as cheap
as UK but OK.
Good TV with Sky Sports News which pleased my Husband.
Lots of hot water and the hotel provides everything needed
for washing and bathing, including some very nice scented hair
and body wash.
We went as a couple, so also can't comment on services for
children.
I would have liked to see a Thomson rep with us on the bus
to the Bonaire.
We just got bundled in together with a silent driver for well
over an hour journey. Same on the way back.
Never mind we reached our destinations unscathed.
Thinking of going back.

Room Tip: We were in Block 2, third floor overlooking the car park but beyond that was some beautiful country...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Protur Bonaire Aparthotel? Share your experiences!