“Excellent for a three star hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Son Baulo

You added Hotel Son Baulo to your Saves list
Hotel Son Baulo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ronda del Torrente, 8, 07458 Ca'n Picafort, Majorca, Spain   |
Ranked #15 of 38 Hotels in Ca'n Picafort
Loughton, United Kingdom
“Excellent for a three star hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Stayed at the Son Baulo at the end of May/beginning of June 2012.
Reception staff were very pleasant and check-in was very fast. We had a top floor sea view room. The room was clean and bright with a superb view over the beach. The room door did look a bit unsecure as though it had previously had a break in but that is the only small negative that we had room wise. Beds were comfortable enough. The shower in the bathroom was really just like a hair wash type unit but, again, it did it's job and this is a three star establishment.

Food was very good and certainly just as good as or even better than some four star hotels we have stayed in. It was nice to see some thick chunky bacon for breakfast instead of the usual thin wisps of fat usually found in foreign hotels. Choice was not enormous but quite enough to cater for most, other than the really fussy people who should perhaps try a five star to meet their requirements.

Sunbeds were never a problem although some were rather old and uncomfortable so chose carefully. Quite noisy if you got near the pool with all the kids but you could always walk across to the beach if that worries you. The pool is relatively small.

You have to pay for everything in the hotel with cash. The waiters are mainly happy people and that was a pleasure in itself. No charging to the room though so you will need to budget for that. Prices within the hotel are quite reasonable however and if you really want some bargains just go outside to the Crazy Horse bar where you can get a pint of San Miguel for €1.50 or slightly further on try Scandals who also have good prices. If you go further into Ca'n Picafort you will find that prices do rise quite considerably.

Warning - this is very much a kids hotel. If you don't like kids then don't go. The Thomson kids reps seemed to work very hard during the day and mainly were still taking part in the kids disco at 8.30pm. After the disco there is the inevitable Bingo followed by a cabaret act. We saw two or three quite reasonable tribute acts during our 11 night stay but if you are hoping for any adult time for dancing etc then forget it as kids rule all night. You can always go to the Thomson Gold Hotel Picafort Park which is only a few streets away to get a bit more adult entertainment however. We escaped a few times to avoid, what appeared to be, some very weak offerings at the Son Baulo.

The hotel is right on the beach and on one side there is a river with a natural area on it’s opposite bank. We did go for a walk through the natural area but it was quite hard work as you are walking on sand most of the time. Nice to see the birds and butterflies if you like that sort of thing.

In conclusion we had a great holiday at an excellent price in a three star hotel that surpassed itself. Not sure that we would like to pay the peak rate prices but then you could say that about many hotels I suppose. If you've got kids then this is the hotel for you.

Room Tip: Top floor sea view rooms are best.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Stansted Mountfitchet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

Just came back for a 2 weeks stay here (group of 31 friends and family). I have to say this was one of the best places I' ve stayed. The hotel is in a great location right on the beach. Rooms are adequate,spacious, very clean and tidy. The hotel staff couldn' t do enough for us . We were on a half board basis and there is truly a huge choice of quality food, a salad bar, pasta, veg, rissottos, pizza, patatoes, and chef cooked fresh fish, chicken pork in the middle of buffet. Then, two desserts stations, again with lots of choice. Breakfast was just as good. Would we go back, YES.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I stayed at Hotel Son Baulo for 7 days between May / June 2012 with my wife and little girl aged 6.
This was a fabulous Hotel considering it is only a 3 star. This is by far the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed at. Every day the cleaners were doing their thing in the rooms and around the hotel. They were also extremely friendly and always had a smile and a happy welcome on every ocassion. The Pool area was cleaned every night and the restaurant also scrubbed down. I have so many great things to say about this Hotel and the staff.
The evening entertainment was okay, the best night for me was the Spanish Dancing but I guess the Parot show was the best show as far as my 6 year old daughter was concerned - although you will have to pay 10 Euros for a photo of your child next to the Parots (which most parents will get persuaded with).
The only real negative aspect of my stay was regarding the price of the drinks in the evening. Cocktails were almost 5 euros (whether they were alcoholic or not !!) and food during the day was also expensive. The food and drinks included as part of the half-board deal are very good and varied, however there WERE NO DRINKS available duing the evening meal unless you paid for them - NOT EVEN WATER. I think this ia a bit of a scam by the Hotel to make extra money which I understand but don't think its fair considering your paying for HALF BOARD :-(
It is for this reason ONLY that I have awarded 4 stars instead of 5.
Also, be careful of some waiters as they conveniently forget to return your change. It happened to me once and although he was apologetic I observed someone else experiencing the same thing - so certainly not a one off.
The cook on the Grill (Phillipo) and Manuel the waiter were realy great characters and Jill (the entertainments organiser) was also a good laugh although rubbish at pool volleyball :-)
The location of this hotel right on the beach is fantastic. If I stay again I will certainly pay extra for a sea view / pool room as we stayed at the back wich was a little noisy at the weekend. A load of VERY NOISY children (aged 7 - 15) were playing football next to a souvenir shop one night until well after midnight which was annoyoing (who knows where the parents were?) but other than that it was not too bad.
I would recommend staying at this Hotel adn will return back again one day :-)

ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Basic Spanish hotel, clean, simple, staff friendly and helpful. Right on top of the turquoise-sea beach next to a nature reserve, which gives a very relaxed, quiet feel to the place; you're not in the middle of a resort, although there are plenty of pubs and shops to browse if desired (Crazy Horse and Banana bar recommended). A short bike ride takes you into the resort if you like, you can rent the bikes across the road from the hotel. Thomson reps very nice, available and the kids' club was much appreciated by all; the kids really enjoyed it. Clientele is a mix of pensioners and younger families, so parents can feel safe with giving the kids a bit of independence. Market comes on Fridays right outside the hotel, be prepared to bargain! Food is decent, typical Spanish buffet offerings, very good desserts, and enough variety for most tastes (especially those who prefer bland, such as kids or picky people). The bacon is not British style bacon which is why the other reviews were complaining but it is good Spanish style streaky bacon. If you want British food, why go to Spain? A good, solid 3 star hotel, nothing fancy but the location is what makes it. Would definitely go again for a family holiday. A lovely time had by all.

If you want a typical, loud, British filled Spanish resort holiday, overcrowded, covered with high-rise hotels and with discos and lots of drinking and the like, this is not your kind of place. Go to Magaluf or whatever.

If you prefer quiet, chilled out, mellow, isolated, beautiful scenery, beach bum holidays that the whole family will enjoy, this is for you. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are worth it. If you're not spending a lot of time in your room, you will have se...
NOTTINGHAM
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

We have just returned from the son baulo hotel after an excellent cruise with Thomson.The hotel itself ok is a little bit dated but then lots of hotels are.We had a seacids room which was large and spacious very clean and an excellent view.The resort is very pleasant quiet at the hotel end much busier in the centre its self.The hotel enjoys a brilliant position right on the beach.
Here though comes the but.The food is not nice the sweets are the best it has to offer.Bacon in the mornings has to be the thickest I have ever seen,scrambled egg that looked unearthly.limited choice of fruit tasteless bread.one morning I realised my milk on my cereal was Luke warm I felt the jug and it was warm.Iinformed the rep who informed the staff.What followed was vile Iwitnessed the warm milk being poured into the cold yuck!.Evening meals even worse ranging from inedible to a just passable standard.We ate out quite a few times especially when we realised quite a few people seemed to be falling I'll.There were the people who seemed to think if was lovely but those of us who were on our first visit here wernt so impressed.
The entertainment was ok really quite good for families.The children's club rep seemed lovely we didnt have children with us but I have been a nursery nurse for years and Ithought it looked pretty good.
Thomson charge quite a bit for this hotel and Icant say it's value for money mainly because of the food.If Thomson took over completely and did a refurb ,changed the food yes I'd return but not until. If you get it on a very cheap deal then I'd take it and eat out but otherwise aavoidance might be best!!.

• Stayed May 2012
, Gerente at Hotel Son Baulo, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Dear Guest, Thanks for your review, we are glad to know that you liked the hotel. I am glad you liked also the room and the entertainemt. For the note you left to us (wriiten on a luggage label), we also know that you were happy with the staff service. (the receptioneist who brought you the phone charger, and the maid service, as you mention)
I´m sorry you didn´t like the food, but I also need to say that you are totally wrong trying to make readers believe that there was something wrong with the milk, and that we had guest felling ill because of that. This is absolutely false, and of course we can prove it. Unfortunately this has damaged us a lot.
After reading your note, I personally checked all our places where milk is served. Milk for the cereals is always chilled as it is kept in the ice creams freezers, next to the cereals. Wouldn´t be possible that you took the jar next to the coffee machine, instead of the chilled milk for cereals?. The jar of milk by the coffee machine, of course is not chilled. And of course it keeps all the hygiene rules, we are absolutely sure about this. It is only half a litter, and we have around 600 guests, believe me, it doesn´t stay there for long.
The gentleman you saw in the lift, unfortuantelly had a heart attack, although thanks God, he recovered and he is ok.
doncasterminty
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We stayed in the son baulo with thomsons 22may to 29may me and the wife and 2kids and grandma,we arrived and were welcomed by reception and given our keys to the room and first impressions were this hotel is in need of a refurbishment and we had 2rooms my son stayed with his grandma and me and wife and 1child in the other and we noticed our mattresses were sub standard you could feel the springs and to be honest i wouldnt give them to a prisoners so this shows me the manager doesnt check the quality of the sleeping arangements!so i went to reception and they changed them the next day for better ones now some of you reading this may think whats he moaning about well i want a good nights sleep on holiday i dont expect to sleep like a convict!
If you are are the back of hotel be ready to be woken up by the ducks in the stream and dogs from local apartments at 5.30am,the breakfast is the usual sausage and rather thick bacon and cereal the dinners are not very good you have to throw the meals together a bit of a medlay to be honest and if you have a child then be prepared to take them out for somthing.
The staff are excellant in the restaurant and bar and the entertainment is good for kids and adults and all drinks are well priced and the resturant at lunch time is verygood it must be different food??
The access to beach is fantastic and the sun loungers are 3euros so very good and a beach bar is present,the only gripe i have on the beach is dog mess i witnessed dog owners walking their dog on beach even though they are not suppose to walk dogs on beach i even had to tell my young boys the avoid a part of the beach and quite frankly im getting sick of spanish resorts still allowing this behaviour you would think the spanish would treat the beaches with respect as its their income and without us most of their hotels would shut so its time the tourist board sorted this out its unfair!
The general area is nice loads of bars and plenty of amenities and trips for family i would personaly give this hotel 7out of 10 its a cheap holiday dont expect the ritz and watch for dog do on the beach but youll find the staff in this place fantastic so i guess you can not have it all would i go back no.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
tof8, Director General at Hotel Son Baulo, responded to this review, June 16, 2012
Dear guest, We are very sorry to know that you have not enjoyed your stay with us. As a manager of the hotel I apologize if you felt that I was not caring enough for our guets, due to your matresser not being confortable enough. So sorry for that first night, I´m glad to know that it was changed straight away after you mentioned to reception and that you could enjoy a better sleep for the rest of your stay. We would have prefered to avoid you any incoveniences, this was absolutely our fault, no excuses, but at least we mend it very soon.
The hotel is next to a Natural Park, as stated in all brochures. Unfortunatelly we cannot put a timetable to ducks and others birds in the Nature Reserve, they just do not understand.
About the problems of beach cleanliness that you mention, I am terribly sorry for this, and you can remain certain that we have passed your report to the Tourism Board and to the city council. I have to say that they came inmediately to check it.
As you probably saw, there are notices everywhere asking users of the beach to keep it clean...not to leave cigarettes ends, ..., and dogs are not allowed. Even us, the hotel, although the beach does not belong to us, have a notice on our terrace about it. I would advice you, if you happen to see it again, to let know the person in charge of the beach, who is there, on the beach.
We, the spanish, you can really trust me, are very aware that beaches are very important for our bussiness, as our tourists, from many nationalities including the spanish tourists, come mainly for the beaches, and we try to keep them as they like it, this is with sun beds, umbrellas, bars, etc.( We are even happy to resing to have our beaches as we, the spanish islanders, would prefer them, this is respecting them, with no sunbeds, no umbrellas...and so an so, and of course no bars). Nevertheless, I agree, beaches have to be very clean, and we will put all our effort to make pressure on the local government to make sure this target is reached. It makes me, and all the staff working hard at the hotel to please our guests, awfully sad, to know that for this only gripe your are getting sick of us, spanish resorts.
No, this is not the Ritz, neither we claim to be. But we all do our best to try to run a good 3 star family beach hotel.
Buxton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I arrived at the hotel Son Baulo on the 01/05/12 & I left on the 08/05/12.The hotel was fantastic, the food was great & the beach was perfect. The main high point about this hotel is the kids club. It is 2nd to none & the staff ("Fab Abs" "Lovely Lorraine" & "Krazy Karen") these girls are fantastic & you can really trust them / have faith in them. This is something I was worried about as it was the first time I had ever left my two boys while away on holiday. If you are taking your kids on a holiday go to this hotel as the kids reps / clubs are fantastic & make sure your kids go the chocolate party & pirate day as my boys did & they loved an are are still talking about it now we are home. All I can say is keep up the good work girls & hopefully see you next year for more pirate n chocolate fun. X X

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Son Baulo? Share your experiences!