“Very good for a 3 star” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Ca'n Picafort
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Very good for a 3 star”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Nice, vey clean hotel located a short walk from the main shops, restaurants and beach. We had a spacious double room with a modern bathroon which had a large walk-in shower. The loo broke but was fixed quickly. Average sized balcony overlooking the pool, which I think is the better view. There is a bit of road noise on that side of the hotel but you only hear it on the balcony not in your room as the road's the far side of the pool area. Good size pool that never got too busy with ample sunbeds. My elderly mum-in-law fell over by the pool (her fault entirely) and the hotel staff were there like a shot as well as a helpful Tui rep (we weren't with Tui) and a lovely German guest who helped staunch the bleeding. Doctor and ambulance followed quickly. So top marks to everyone at the hotel for being so helpful. We booked b & b and the breakfast buffet was what you'd expect. Can't comment on the dinners as we always ate out. There's a very good Italian restaurant at the side of the pool area which offers inexpensive but very tasty food.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
staffordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Good points: very clean hotel throughout, outside pool was lovely with no shortage of getting a sunbed at any time throughout the day ( a pleasant surprise in August ) with the bar staff serving and working very hard. Rooms were adequate enough and a spacious balcony. Worth pointing out is a pool view room is the alternative option if you don't pay a sea view supplement which is great. The bathroom only has a shower but this is a minor point as all aspects of the bathroom are modern and clean. It is very close to all the bars, restaurants and shops and a short stroll to the beach. This hotel is predominantly German but ALL guests were very pleasant, polite and no rowdiness. Food had lots of choice and with 2 fussy children and 1 vegetarian amongst us we always found there was lots of variety.
Bad points: (very few). Limited night time entertainment which was pretty poor with no atmosphere but the bars are close by to choose other entertainment ( the Oasis Bar on the seafront has tribute acts every night from Take That to Michael Jackson and was very good ). There is obviously limited help when it comes to trips etc. with it being a German hotel although the reception staff are very helpful and there is a blue folder at reception that gives lots of info. The bar did not have much choice in ice creams ( my 2 children obviously thought this a catastrophe! )

Worth pointing out - In the left luggage room we found on the last day that one shelf was full of umbrella shades for the beach and lots of inflatables and buckets etc. for guests to use so check it out before making any beach purchases.
There are 2 supermarkets just across the road that has a lot of ice cream choice that the bar staff kindly pointed out and advised us it was cheaper too.
We hired a car for four days. The cost from the hotel would have been 220.00 Euros but from the car hire place around the corner opposite Grupotel Gran Vista Hotel it was only 120.00 Euros with full insurance cover included. It was not a new car but was very much roadworthy with full air con and perfectly adequate for exploring the Island.
The transfer was very long ( over 2 hours ) so if possible a direct transfer ie: taxi instead of many drop offs would be a lot quicker.
If taking a car to explore Formentor Beach it is worth knowing that parking is 10 Euros.
All in all a great hotel that I would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: If you don't pay for a sea view room the alternative pool view is fine with no noisy late nights...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

We had a really relaxing holiday at this hotel. It is an excellent 3 star hotel whose proximity to the sea and to the centre of the resort could not be bettered. The room was an adequate double which 3 single ladies shared with a good sized balcony and (most welcome) air conditioning. The outside pool was lovely with plenty of areas of shade and we swam in both the outside and inside pools on a daily basis. The staff were really friendly and accommodating and the food was outstanding. One member of our party was gluten free and there was plenty for her to eat - every night there was a choice of fresh fish and meat and all the usual salads etc. All inclusive was fabulous and we drank sangria and cocktails outside in the pool bar.every evening!Although most of the guests were infact German, we knew this before we went (from reading trip advisor) and this meant that we had a relaxing stay not understanding other peoples converstations!The position of the hotel meant we could travel easily on public transport to Alcudia market and Puerto Pollensa. There is also a small train which travels along the strtch of Can Picafort.Think about a taxi from the airport as we were last drop off on the bus! This took about 2 hours and we could have been by the pool We would definately return and will be recommending this hotel to everyone we speak to.

Room Tip: first floor rooms at the back have a high wall so you have to stand up to see the sea (but they are...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

As a solo traveller I'm used to booking a single room and still getting a large double bed - maybe I've been spoilt! My initial room was small with a single bed and very small long bathroom with shower at the end - in the dark. One door opened out to the balcony but not the other. I moved the next day after asking the lady at reception. I moved from 712 to 713 and what a difference! 3 quarter size bed, with large light bathroom and huge balcony that wasn't overlooked. I was bed and breakfast but didn't eat in the hotel at all, preferring to go and walk the beach at that time of day. A lovely resort - Brits definitely outnumbered by Germans but didn't experience any issues - they all seemed friendly. Would return if I was going back to resort. Would recommend a taxi transfer - the cheap option (£11 return from airport) was a few hours and the last drop-off.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Stayed here 4 nights HB in June 2012. Whilst the hotel (and resort) is mainly German and European, it is safe, clean and friendly, with some good banter as it was Euro 2012 whilst I stayed here.

The flight with Monarch was good (but full of hen/stag parties but a good laugh none the less). The transfer was 2.5 hours !!! I would highly recommend a taxi transfer or car hire from the airport if you can afford it, I was thirsty and had a migraine by the time I was dropped off (last on the coach).

The hotel itself is on the main 'town side' strip of Can Picafort. The hotel is right next to a main road which is the only reason I feel the Montecarlo gets a 3* and not a 4. The rest of the hotel experience was definitely fantastic.

Rooms - mine wasn't spacious (single traveller) but was spotlessly clean, the bed had comfortable quilt and mattress (not a trace of bugs etc). An older-style TV had only BBC World news and CNN in English but that wasn't a problem really. Rooms cleaned daily (except I think Sunday) by a lovely maid who was thorough. Toiletries provided, so you dont have to buy your own (shower gel, hairdryer etc). Pool towels a deposit of 10 euros, got back at end of the stay. My room overlooked the pool so I could sit out at night with a beer from the local supermarket which is just over the road (2.79 euros for 6 x 1.5 litres of water, 2.5 euros for 4 x cans of San Miguel)

Food - I have to say it was great I wished I had gone Full Board. Breakfasts included the usuals, but all fresh (yogurts, fruit, cheeses, ham/salami, croissants, breads of all varieties, plus hot buffets of beans, sausages, bacon, scrambled, omelette and fried eggs). Over 8 juices and tea/coffee from a dispenser, or a cafetiere of freshly brewed yummy coffee. On Sundays they have smoked salmon and Cava too if you feel like a touch of luxury. Every morning a chef cooked pancakes/omelettes to order and it was open from 8.30am to 10.30am

Dinner was good too - my first night of arrival was a huge silverside of roast beef freshly carved, roasted duck breast in apple sauce - other nights were mainly German oriented but still very tasty - roast chicken breasts, veal, liver/onions, fish, paella, pastas and chips if you like this sort of thing. Wine was around 9 euros which is a tad steep considering the supermarkets sell for 4 euros, but the restaurant waiters/waitresses keep the bottle for the next night for you. Cheese and fruits/biscuits every night plus the usual 'angel delight' type of desserts that the europeans seem to love. Mealtimes are busy, and some folks like to keep the same tables every night but you can usually find a table and the waitress staff are lovely and smiley.

Pool bar - apart from the noise of the main road, the pool bar is located across a tiny 4m wide road in front the hotel. The pool bar area is cleaned every day and the water tested by a nice man from the hotel who also looks after the gardens and play areas. A large estrella damm beer costs 2.9 euros (as do most other drinks bizarrely) but it is freezing cold and refreshing. Sunbeds well you had to do the usual towel tango every morning but you could usually find a bed. One corner of the pool has constant shade so i was ok here as no one else wanted a bed in the shade. Table tennis near the bar and a TV plugged in so you can have a beer in the shade and watch the sport.

The resort is lovely - I felt very welcome and safe here. A short 5 min walk to the beach is worthwhile its beautiful and the sand is white and clean. I didnt stay at the beach as its not my thing but I believe beds range from 7-9 euros for the day with a parasol.. A lovely promenade runs down the beach full of restaurants, bars and entertainment. One street in from the beach is the main town side of the road with loads of street entertainment, burger bars and places to shop.

Whilst I was at the hotel the Germans were lovely, I don't speak the lingo but they seemed friendly and polite without being intrusive. I met a few British who just moaned constantly about the hotel, the food, the drink sizes on all inclusive and generally just were miserable. I couldnt understand this, the hotel was beautiful and very very good value for the money I paid. OK not a 4 star but exceptional 3 star.

Visit the Montecarlo I guarantee a stress free holiday with lovely service. Would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: Poolside is opposite the main road and the pool which has entertainment some nights so could be loud...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night, I went for work purposes and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. After a long day of travelling and flight delays, it was a pleasure to pull up and be warmly greeted by the staff at the hotel.
My room overlooked the swimming pool, there was many options to be had for the evening meal, as well as the breakfast that I enjoyed the next morning!
The room itself was very comfortable, spacious and very clean. The bathroom was beautifully finished and I hope I'll have the chance to spend a little longer in this lovely hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Turin, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

We booked this hotel with tour operator TUI - we was told is in the offer since long time, and it's highly recommended, and that's true

Hotel is situated in Can Picafort, 6 minutes walking distance to the beach, 5 to local bars, restaurants etc.

We got room with a sea view, even though we didn't pay for it (6 floor) .The room was spacious, always clean, with big bathroom. One minus - we ordered double bed, and we got 2 single beds put together.

The food- massive big breakfast buffet, with delicious pan cakes, everything fresh.
The same dinner - massive buffet with live cooking. After dinner we had problems with walking.
Nice stuff in the reception, spanish, English and German speaking.
Pool is nice, but we didn't use it much, because the beach and the sea in Can Picafort are just amazing and breath taking. (2 beds and umbrella on the beach cost 8euro, 2beds only 5).

We would love to come back there, very nice place!

Room Tip: Take a room with sea view - it's amazing!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Grupotel Montecarlo? Share your experiences!