“Shocking!” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Ampthill, United Kingdom
“Shocking!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We were so looking forward to the "Jersey Boys" Tribute Evening, with a Set Menu and Champagne: However it took ages for our drinks order to be taken (after reminders) and bread to be served (after repeated reminders), but, to cap it all, my son had a fly or moth served with his steak (presumably as additional protein). That was the last straw and, feeling queasy about the hygiene standards at the restaurant, we decided to leave immediately. Words fail me.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
heather P, Guest Relations Manager at Restaurante Mijas Playa, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
We are disheartened that one of our guests was disappointed with one of our “Jersey Boys” tribute evenings. Due to the popularity of such events, although not completely excusable, a slight service delay is understandable under the circumstances (170 people being served at the same time). There can however be absolutely no question regarding our extremely high standards of hygiene both in the kitchen and restaurant (as certified). As our restaurant, for the comfort and pleasure of our guests, is either outdoor on the terrace or indoor with all windows open – our only explanation for the uninvited insect can be “mother nature”, certainly not lack of hygiene.

We hope we can host this family in the future to enable them to revoke their opinion of the restaurant.

Bradford
“Beautiful location but a limited menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

In keeping with the other reviews, the menu here has changed and its two courses for 20 euros. The wine list on the other hand is quite extensive and reasonably pricey at 24 euros a bottle.
The night we went the Jersey Boys were the entertainment and it was not busy which was a shame as they were excellent.
What I could not fault however was the service, particularly a waitress called Anna who ensured that my partner had a fantastic time (it was her birthday) and made the entire evening very pleasant.
I have been before and the food was better, however it is right on the beach and is still the place to go for a slightly more 'up market' night out in La Cala

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Malaga, Spain
“Such a shame.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

OK, first of all I would like to point out I am not one to complain as I know what it is like to work in a customer focused industry but on this occasion I felt I should.

I've lived here on the costa del sol for a number of years and the mijas playa has always been regarded as a place to go for a special occasion or as a treat.

We had tried to make a reservation at another restaurant in the area however they were fully booked so decided to give the mijas playa a call. They were able to take our booking and didn't even ask what time we wanted a table. This should have set alarm bells ringing as on every other occasion I've been the place has been packed.

We arrived at 8:30 pm and the place was almost empty. Baring in mind this is a popular holiday resort in mid August it should have been packed. We were told we could sit anywhere and our drinks order was taken and we were given our menus. As we looked at the menu we noticed that many of the meals we have had in the past and were looking forward to had gone even though we had seen them advertised on the mijas playas own website. We then noticed the menu had changed to a "set menu" so asked the waitress if the al a carte menu was available and they said this was the only menu now. We were very disappointed as a set menu is not what we expected. We then noticed that many of the dishes had an extra charge. We checked again with the manager and he said this is what we do now and looked surprised when I mentioned the lack of choice and that many of the old favourite dishes were still advertised on their website.

Our drinks arrived but the order was wrong they went to change them but it took a further 10 minutes for the drinks to arrive. We ordered our food and waited but then heard someone on the next table complaining about the food to the waiter. Our starters arrived and were well presented but rather bland. Our mains arrived and again were bland and average. I ordered a red wine sauce to go with my steak and it was more like instant gravy.

Whilst having our deserts we again heard another table complaining that they had been overcharged by €90 (£75).

After dinner we went inside to listen to the singer who was great and we felt sorry for him singing to so few people. In fact there was only us and 4 other people inside.

We asked for the bill (twice) amd when it came there were many extras added like bread rolls and tax which is usually included in the price shown on the menu in Europe.

For a family of four 2 adults, 2 young children our bill came to €130 (£110). This would have been acceptable if the service and the food had been better but €100 would have been more acceptable here. €6 each for a childs ice cream and only one glass of wine and a beer with dinner

I'm very sorry to say that this once well known, popular restaurant is not a patch on what it used to be and if they don't get back to what they used to do soon which was exceptional service, food and atmosphere I'm afraid this once loved place will soon be saying adios to the coast. This would be a shame and I hope for their sake they can turn it around.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Gloucester England
“Do not go its a disgrace”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Food very poor, tap water being charged at £4.50 per bottle and the bill was 59 euros for there value menu absolute disgrace ! I am telling you do not go to this restaurant !!!!!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Very enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

It was our anniversary while out visiting family in Spain so our family recommended a night at this fabulous restaurant. The food was delicious and well presented. Our waitress was very attentive making sure that our boys had food more suitable for them. the desserts were to die for and it had an excellent atmosphere. The restaurant is very modern but there are still some older parts to it that give a little character. We will definitely be back next year.

• Visited May 2013