“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 321 Restaurants in Mijas
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Opened in 1984 by Raffaele Morelli and his brother Vittorio, the Valparaiso Restaurant in Mijas, Malaga, on the Costa de Sol, has created a reputation for excellent food, memorable evenings and great entertainment. Beautifully presented international dishes, served in a magical setting with sea and mountain views from a flower covered terrace, has been the key to building a faithful clientele. With a complete entertainment programme, including dinner and dancing, live music, flamenco dancing and opera, the Valparaiso has something for everyone. The restaurant is also popular with visiting celebrities and local residents alike. Celebrities such as David Beckham, Bruce Forsyth and Sean Connery and many more have paid testimony to the restaurant.
london
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

recommended by friends.we wanted to book a table for saturday night but were informed there was a wedding so booked friday instead.On arrival there was no meet and greet we eventually got seated but found ourselves among another wedding party by the dance floor.we complained and moved to a quieter area.the food and wine was ok fairly standard the foie gras was very good.we spent the night watching the wedding party dance listening to abba and cheesy wedding music.the owner then tried to sell my girlfriend and i valparaiso as a wedding venue not acceptable in my eyes.I am 25 and enjoy good food and good atmosphere.there are better places with better food at better prices.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Save your money!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

This is the second time I have visited Valparaiso, once was 3 years ago and the last a couple of weeks ago.

The first time I went to Valparaiso the service was good and the place looks the part but the food was average at best. I had no intention of visting again.

My family had been many a times and raved about the place so I thought I'd try it out again. We phoned to book a table as we knew it would be busy as it was a Saturday night. We arrived and was shown to our table and waited for 15 minutes before we had to ask the waiter for a drink. He took our order and took another 15 minutes before he brought our drinks over and forgot half the order! When the waiter remembered our wine he simply left it in the wine bucket for us to serve ourselves! now I'm not a snob but for those prices I expect the wine to be served. Next our starters came and to my horror the prawn pil pil I ordered was not deveined therefore I was eating prawn poo! I would not even expect this in harvester. Next was our main and my medium steak arrived and was by no way medium it was almost mooing! the waiter brought out a silver service tray with veg and potatoes and simply balanced it on our table above my sleeping son in he's buggy and asked us to serve ourselves! we asked him to serve which he did without hesitation, so was obvious that this was what he was supposed to do in the first place.

To be fair they did have 2 weddings on so were very busy. I would of rathered they told us this before we booked as we may have gone else where had we of known. It just seemed they had bitten off more than they could chew and was only interested in looking after the wedding parties.

I have worked in the catering industry and know that serving your own wine and silver serving your own dinner is not acceptable!

We did complain to the manager and they gave us a discount and rightly so as the service and dinner was awful. Needless so say I shall never visit again or recommend to any of my friends.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“a little dissapointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We visited this restaurant with friends to celebrate a big birthday, all of us have great memories of nights at the Valparaiso we were all excited at the thought of the night.

We were therefore "a little disappointed at how the dynamic of this place has changed, perhaps its because it was a Wednesday evening, but usually you are greeted at the entrance and welcomed, we practically walked to a table before being approached.

The place was very quiet and that obviously impacted on the ambiance. To be fair the service was very good, the food was good, the entertainment was good so perhaps the title of this review is a little unfair, its just that this restaurant usually delivered on all fronts but on this occasion it may have mis-fired!

It got us thinking do we want to visit again and be disappointed therefore changing our memories of this place, hopefully not.!!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Agree with most trip advisor reviews”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

Had an enjoyable evening, the staff and management couldn't have been more attentive. There did seem to be a few "brooding presences" but they didn't really impinge on the experience. The food,although good did seem to take second place, and better meals are to be had elsewhere, at a lesser price.
What you pay for is the package-which is good!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ashby de la Zouch, United Kingdom
“Good food great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

This is a restaurant that makes you feel special the owners really work the room coming and talking to each table to make you feel the most important peron there. It is no wonder they have loads of photographs of various celebs who visit. On the night we went Max Clifford was in. We were celebrating my birthday but others were there having there wedding party and it was such a great atmosphere. we sat outside on the terrace and the views over Fuengarola and the sea were spectacular. I would go there agian whether it was to celebrate or just to have a really great time in great surroundings.

Visited September 2012