We stayed in The Yeatman on the first night of our honeymoon in August. We let them know the reason for our trip in advance and booked to have their tasting menu on the terrace of our room. However, the day before we arrived they called us to say the weather was terrible and they could no longer accommodate that. Disappointing, but obviously not their fault - although the weather when we arrived was perfect!
The hotel's location is the main draw - the views are absolutely stunning, and they make the most of that - you overlook the river and Porto from all the bedrooms, the pool, and the bar and restaurant. The rooms were spacious and clean, although for the price we expected a bit more water than one small bottle between two, and if I'm being really picky, the location of the taps in the bath made it very difficult to get comfortable! The books scattered around the room about wine were a nice touch.
The tasting menu we eventually ate in the restaurant was good, not great - but with all the extras between courses that they brought we were absolutely stuffed.
You had to pay extra for breakfast (around 17 euros each I think) and a further 10 euro each if you wanted an egg, which seemed a bit stingy given the price of the room. When we discovered this and were offered drinks by the pool later, we declined on the basis it would be extortionately expensive.
We only stayed one night as a special treat at the beginning of our honeymoon, and for the room, breakfast and dinner ended up paying well over 600 euros. We enjoyed the hotel and especially the views, but it wasn't worth that price. We also expected, if not a free drink/upgrade for our honeymoon, at least someone to say congratulations to us! But despite the fact my husband had made sure they knew why we were there, it was never acknowledged which we thought was a shame.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Yeatman is a 5* luxury wine hotel on the clifftop to the Historic Port Wine Cellars District, opening in June 2010. Featuring 14 suites and 68 rooms, all including a terrace and a private garden with panoramic views over the Douro River and the Unesco World Heritage Site of Ribeira in Porto. It boasts a Enogastronomic restaurant, a Port wine bar, 11 meeting and event rooms, a Wine Spa, outdoor and indoor panoramic swimming pools, gymnasium, kid’s club and gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, Escapio, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The Yeatman reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Yeatman Hotel Vila Nova De Gaia
- The Yeatman Portugal/Vila Nova De Gaia