“Baron Fladgate restaurant in Gaia” 5 of 5 stars

Rua do Choupelo 250 | (Caves Taylor's), Vila Nova de Gaia 4400-088, Portugal
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Portuguese, Contemporary, International
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Oporto/Portugal
“Baron Fladgate restaurant in Gaia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Fantastic view of Porto historical town by Douro river from all around the restaurant. Some very well prepared and tasty entries and main courses, combining fine cuisine with traditional portuguese products. Relaxing and smooth ambience with jazz music played alive by piano and counterbass. And attentive and very efficient table service. What else can you ask for? Don't miss it if you come to Porto, Portugal!!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Review collected in partnership with Best Tables

Ana F, Gerente geral at Barao de Fladgate, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Manuribas
Thank you for your compliment. The team was delighted with your comments.
It was a pleasure to have you with us and we do hope to welcome you again in a near future
Kind regards, The Management

Odense, Denmark
“Top quality service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband and I had lunch here before doing a port tour at Taylors. This is quite a fancy place and we felt a little underdressed, but still enjoyed the food and service. It's certainly not a place for a cheap lunch, but if you fancy something a little special then I would highly recommend this place. From the terrace surrounding the restaurant, you can get good views of Porto.

• Visited December 2012
Waterford Ireland
“Beautiful lunch, fabulous place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We visited Taylors at the end of November and took the Port Tour - which was wonderful. We then decided to visit the restaurant just beside the visitors centre. We were welcomed like long lost friends! We were given a table in a prime spot which overlooked Porto. We only wanted a light lunch and this was absolutely no problem for our waiter. Our lunch was accompanied by a glass of chip dry which was a delight. We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch, the attentive service and the atmosphere. We would love to return. It is a climb up to Taylors and Barao de Fladgate -but so worth it!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Good restaurant with excellent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We had a lunch here while waiting for our winery tour at Taylor's and we were surprised by how good the food is. We asked the waiter to make some recommendation for the wine and food and he made some good choices for us. Nice interior deco in the restaurant. Also there is a big terrace that you can have a nice view of the city. Don't miss this restaurant if you happen to go for a port wine tasting tour in Porto.

• Visited January 2013
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely room and setting let down by questionable value.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have reviewed the Taylor's tour separately, which I enjoyed, however I had mixed feelings about the restaurant.

On the plus side:

- The interior is very pleasantly decorated and furnished, with a fireplace and lots of space.
- Most of the food is good.
- There is a lovely balcony with a great view of the city, and the small garden outside is pleasant.
- Complimentary glass of white port on arrival (I say complimentary, I suppose there is a cover charge).
- The service was friendly (as ever in Portugal), efficient and attentive. The bread kept coming, not just one roll as is often the case.

On the other hand:

- I thought the food was overpriced. I wasn't convinced of the quality of all of it, e. g. I ordered game stuffed with foie gras, and I'm afraid I couldn't actually taste any foie gras, there must have been very little there (my wife had the same and made the same comment).
- We were actually brought the wrong meals at first. I suppose these things can happen anywhere, and the problem was swiftly rectified, however I mention it for completeness.

So, all in all, it's a very smart restaurant, however I think you could get better for less money.

• Visited December 2012