“Great Choice for ODU Parents” 4 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
Fairfax, Virginia
“Great Choice for ODU Parents”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We stayed here for one night in June, our daughter was attending a camp at ODU. The hotel is directly across the street from campus and they have plenty of parking for a small fee. The hotel rooms are your typical Springhill Suites. The hotel is very clean. It is a little worn, but with the amount of University traffic, I can see where the heavy use comes in. The staff were very friendly, everyone we encountered greeted us with a hello and a smile - very nice way to start your day. We did not eat the complimentary breakfast but they do have one. There is a fun sports bar in the hotel, good bar food and plenty of TVs for sports.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Norfolk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

The people at the hotel are very nice, although the hotel is not that great. I am traveling for business and these are my conclusions. The walls are thin, room doors are so heavy,extremely loud. You can also hear the traffic in your room. The fridge in room is not that cold and has no dial to increase coldness. Set up of my room is silly, the couch and chair are far away from the tv which is placed in front of one of the beds. The wifi was terrible! Lastly the workout room is a closet with a treadmill, bike and elliptical. For someone traveling so much a descent gym is important to me. Again, staff was so nice in the hotel. I feel terrible writing such a bad review but I expected more for what I paid to stay for the weekend.

• Stayed June 2014
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

My stay was Memorial Day through Friday, so mid-week after graduation, I presume.
The room was large, with two double beds and a living room/desk area, as well as a small bar with sink, microwave and refrigerator. The bedding was great, plenty of towels, and everything was very clean - even the carpet. I did not have a problem with temperature - there is a wall thermostat - but the weather was relatively mild during my stay.
Overall, the hotel is very nice and I had a great stay. The rest of this review is pretty nit-picky, but just minor things that management can use to improve our stay.
The only complaint about the layout was about the TV that swiveled from the sleeping area to the living room area - it didn't quite swivel enough to watch adequately from either side - the desk was the best viewing spot - and it was too small to watch from the far bed by the window. Since I didn't really have time to watch TV during my stay, it wasn't a big deal for me.
My room did overlook the parking and entrance, and there was a surprising amount of noise from people laughing and yelling even though I was on the fourth floor. Infrequent and not late at night so not a big deal for this trip. Single-pane windows, perhaps? The room did have excellent black-out curtains.
I did not go to the restaurant attached to the hotel, but some of my party did. They added two strips of bacon to the vegetarian pannini, which was not appreciated by the vegetarian patron who ordered it, but the shocking part was that the waitress apparently could not understand the problem with that. Also, on another visit, my friends were served the wrong food that they didn't order. So, based on their feedback, I would not recommend that restaurant. The hotel is not far from the upscale area of Ghent, which had some excellent restaurants worth visiting.
I found the hotel breakfast very nice - hot scrambled eggs and some sort of meat (sausage or bacon), along with a choice of add-ons, variety of breads to toast, cereals, oatmeal and toppings, fruit, yogurts, juices, hard-boiled eggs. I'm not sure what else someone could expect from a free breakfast bar. We did not have any trouble finding a seat and the breakfast area was always less than 1/2 full when we were eating there. The staff kept the food filled. Coffee was okay. Hot water and tea selection was very nice, including decaf.
I have to say that the most annoying thing was the elevator, which required swiping your room card before selecting the floor. When your hands are full, this is a PITA. I always had to swipe my card two or three times to get the green light. It would be better if it was an RFID that you just had to wave over a sensor or if the elevator went to your floor after swiping - but this whole routine just got really old and I was only there four nights. I'm sure there's some security issue for this, but then maybe I should be more worried about security at this hotel, perhaps?
They also ran out of disabled parking on our last day and the hotel driveway was full (this area should be designated for disabled parking). Please note that this was the beginning of a Wounded Warrior week, so it should be expected, especially since this hotel was selected for its accessibility! Fortunately, we had able-bodied folks who could run over to the garage and valet the vehicles for those who couldn't. Just room for improvement here.
We were working at the main Naval Base, so the hotel was very conveniently located just 15 minutes from the gate.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Upstate NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

The best thing about this Hotel was its location. Just attended a graduation at ODU, literately across the street. The room was average, with the doorknob on the bathroom door falling off in disrepair. The suite's seating furniture was quite uncomfortable. Regulating the room temperature was next to impossible. It was either cold or hot, not sure what that was all about. The free breakfast was disappointing, poorly stocked and a poorly laid out food line that would back up with only a few people. The coffee was good.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Personally I prefer Hiltons, however a resent trip with extended family I found myself at the SpringHill Suites. If your looking for a lot of space this is the hotel to stay at, however this particular one I would not stay at again. The sheets were like paper, the toilet ran randomly through out the night, and the wallpaper was pealing off the walls in multiple places. Also the price was a little high for the quality. Yet the front desk staff was very friendly. All in all it was a great location but I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
OBX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We were in VA for the Imagine Dragons concert and stayed at the SpringHill Suites. Hotel was very clean. Check-in took a while but we got there at the same time as several other families also there for the concert. Room was nice. Honestly, the rate is a bit high for what you get but it's a great location and worth the price to leave the concert and be back at your room in less than 5 minutes. Will definitely give this place another stay if ever in the area.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Richmond, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

This is a good hotel for 1-2 nights if you are needing to stay in the Old Dominion University area. It’s very clean and rooms/beds are comfortable. The room temperature was a bit difficult to regulate. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful, especially housekeeping. The biggest problem we encountered was the noise from the hall party going on throughout our first night. We discovered a college tennis team was staying on our floor and was celebrating their victory until the wee hours of the morning. They finally quieted down as we were ready to wake up. The second night was quiet, peaceful and comfortable.

There is a parking garage next to the hotel, but you will be charged $5/day to park. If there’s an event at the Ted Constant Center next door, you will most likely have to drive all the way up to the top floor of the deck to find a space. It took us 15 minutes to ascend to the top when we returned to the hotel around 10pm on a basketball game night.

Breakfast is included, and there are a lot of hot and cold options. The food is decent, but it was difficult to find a table. The area was packed.

Overall, our stay was good. I would probably book a room here again when I’m in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Been to SpringHill Suites Norfolk Old Dominion University? Share your experiences!