“#1 choice for extended stay or simple overnight” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #13 of 40 Hotels in Norfolk
Naples, Italy
“#1 choice for extended stay or simple overnight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I traveled from Naples, Italy to Norfolk, VA with a med-evac patient who was having spine surgery at the nearby naval hospital. I picked this hotel because it met the government per diem rates and it was centrally located. Parking is a reasonable $5/day and a full hot breakfast is included. Free WiFi was a big bonus!

We arrived on May 14 and departed on June 6. The double room was comfortable for two people: separate living room with large desk, sofabed loveseat and armchair. Double beds were comfy with nice bedding and plenty of pillows. My friend was in the hospital three nights and when she came back to the hotel, she was in lots of pain. As a result she was in the room for almost 3 days straight before she was mobile and able to move around the hotel.

During our stay, the entire staff was friendly and went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable. The housekeeping team worked around our schedule. We would like to recognize Christine, Portia, and Lakeisha. The front desk team was always pleasant and professional. Although Crystal, the nighttime clerk was often on duty by herself, she was able to check in late arrivals, answer phones, and see to other guests' needs. The hotel is in good hands during the day shift with Kenisha and Misty, who are always smiling.

The cooks and the ladies that worked the breakfast buffet were on their toes even though we were here over Memorial Day weekend and another busy summer weekend with a full hotel. The engineers were often cleaning and polishing the floors, elevators and windows. I used to work at a Renaissance hotel and a Westin hotel, and this one was equally as spiffy, but much more personal and the rooms more spacious.

We both rate this hotel 5 stars!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
MrsWTT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

We came up from Richmond and stayed here on a Saturday night to avoid the hassle of commuting early Sunday morning for a family event. We are glad we chose this option and this hotel! Traffic was crazy upon our arrival because there was an event at the convention center next door. I didn't bother the hotel much. There is an additional $5 fee for parking, but the location was right across from the hotel and there was a separate/gated area for hotel cars. I felt it was safe and I didn't have to fight to find a spot.

We were greeted warmly by Tonee at the front desk upon check in. Even though the hotel was busy and almost full, he was able to switch our king sized room to two doubles because we were traveling with kids. There was fresh coffee, hot chocolate, and tea available in the lobby. We did not use the fitness facility, nor the pool, nor the hotel bar/restaurant.

We got one of the wheel-chair accessible rooms which made our room feel bigger than an average room. The room was clean and spacious. It was nice having a separate living area with a sink, microwave, and mini-fridge. There is also a separate vanity/sink area and because we had the accessible room, the bathroom and tub was huge. We barely heard any noise in the hall and never heard our neighbors. Even though we were by a busy street, you couldn't hear any traffic outside. It was peaceful and quiet. We slept so well that night! (nice linens, perfect comforter, comfy pillows!)

I also appreciate the measures they put in to make us feel safe. Because there was an event at the conference center next door, there was a lot of foot and street traffic around. In order to get into the hotel after midnight, you needed to swipe your key card. You also need the key card to get onto the hotel floors above the lobby. This may seem annoying, but it made those who are new to the area feel safe and comfortable.

Breakfast was delicious! Sausage patties, eggs, hot waffles, and the continental fare with juice and milk. Plenty of space to sit! Staff was super friendly and accommodating. Because we had a busy schedule, we didn't get to explore the area much (ODU). If I had to come back , I'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
north wales pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Clean ,friendly and free breadfast everday. Close to ODU, Norfolk Naval Base

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Hazard, KY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

The room was fairly small, nothing too impressive there. Same with the bathroom it was average at best. There were extremely thin walls and you could hear everything going on around you. For a light sleeper this was not a good thing. The fridge in our room did not work and we had to throw out food that we had paid for when we went out to eat. We ended up having to keep the things we brought in our cooler in the cooler the entire 3 days we were there, which was a pain to have to replenish the ice regularly. There was a large breakfast selection but they didn't have something as simple as buscuits. They served sausage patties and eggs with no buscuits, which my party found odd and disappointing. The pool was rather cool and the hot tub was overly hot, not to mention the entire room that the pool was encased in was glass so anyone in the hotel or out on the street walking by could see you. Finding a way into the hotel was also tricky because all the streets around it were one way. Once in, you had to pay extra for parking in a parking garage that is shared with students so at times there were basically no parking spots in it and you would have to walk from the opposite end of the parking garage to get to the hotel. The pro's of this hotel were that it was very clean, we had no concerns about that. There was a large breakfast to choose from which kept us from having to go elsewhere. It was in walking distance of the university, hence the appeal and why I paid the large price for it: ODU was literally across the street from it. It was also in walking distance to some other resturants that were fairly decent to eat at. This being said I definitely did not feel that it was worth the $100+ pricetag that was included with it and if I go to Norfolk again I'll just do a little extra driving and save a lot of money on a cheaper hotel. It was the first time that I had spent this much money on a hotel and I was looking forward to a treat...unfortunately I was disappointed it was an average experience that I could have had at a lower priced budget hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room as high up as possible. Due to the thin walls you can hear people on the street. My est...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

My wife and I visited our sons that are attending ODU. This hotel is almost right on campus. We were able to walk to visit them and felt safe doing so. Breakfast is included in your stay. Its buffet style, serve yourself.From 6:30-9:30am, Apple and orange juice on tap, fresh fruit, waffles, cereals, bagels, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, sausage patties, milk, coffee, tea, yogurt and more.It was good, not great and I was satisfied.
Our 5th floor room was nice and ours' had a king bed that was comfortable. We overlooked Hampton Blvd so even with the window closed street noise would wake me at times but we did have a nice view toward the campus. The room had a sitting area with a desk, loveseat, and two chairs. A wet bar with fridge and microwave was at the other end of the sitting area. The tube/toilet area was a little cramped but it worked fine, Maid service was excellent, the staff was helpful and friendly. Parking is by fee ;( .

We will stay there again as we didn't have to have a rental car or drive to see our kids and other than the street noise it was a quiet stay

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

As an ODU employee who lives out of town, I have had a couple of two night stays at the hotel. I always enjoy the "suite" (room with a wall in the middle) concept since I would rather be on a couch than in the bed to relax and work. The hotel has a small but more than adequate sports bar that will deliver or do takeout (the chili, wings and burgers are great) and a good complementary breakfast. The obligatory microwave and fridge in the room are nice for longer stays or stretching that takeout into two meals.
Due to demand, you will not luck up and find this one on Priceline or Hotwire. They stay pretty busy but all in all, not a bad deal at government rates. Warning: you have to pay to park there.

As long as I can get $40-$50 deals on 3 star hotels on Priceline and Hotwire, I probably won't be back but I suggest it for anyone visiting the ODU campus.

Room Tip: Avoid an outside room on windy nights. The windows rattle.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
sbktravels
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

The hotel is great and I would visit when in the area. The service was great an the hotel is very clean. The hotel is modern and worth staying at. They offer a complimentary breakfast which has choices availble for everyone. The hotel can get busy being on a college campus but when in your room there are no issues with noise. There are numerous coffee shops and restuarants within a very short walking distance.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business