“Decent Hotel- not worth the increased price” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
Hazard, KY
“Decent Hotel- not worth the increased price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

The room was fairly small, nothing too impressive there. Same with the bathroom it was average at best. There were extremely thin walls and you could hear everything going on around you. For a light sleeper this was not a good thing. The fridge in our room did not work and we had to throw out food that we had paid for when we went out to eat. We ended up having to keep the things we brought in our cooler in the cooler the entire 3 days we were there, which was a pain to have to replenish the ice regularly. There was a large breakfast selection but they didn't have something as simple as buscuits. They served sausage patties and eggs with no buscuits, which my party found odd and disappointing. The pool was rather cool and the hot tub was overly hot, not to mention the entire room that the pool was encased in was glass so anyone in the hotel or out on the street walking by could see you. Finding a way into the hotel was also tricky because all the streets around it were one way. Once in, you had to pay extra for parking in a parking garage that is shared with students so at times there were basically no parking spots in it and you would have to walk from the opposite end of the parking garage to get to the hotel. The pro's of this hotel were that it was very clean, we had no concerns about that. There was a large breakfast to choose from which kept us from having to go elsewhere. It was in walking distance of the university, hence the appeal and why I paid the large price for it: ODU was literally across the street from it. It was also in walking distance to some other resturants that were fairly decent to eat at. This being said I definitely did not feel that it was worth the $100+ pricetag that was included with it and if I go to Norfolk again I'll just do a little extra driving and save a lot of money on a cheaper hotel. It was the first time that I had spent this much money on a hotel and I was looking forward to a treat...unfortunately I was disappointed it was an average experience that I could have had at a lower priced budget hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room as high up as possible. Due to the thin walls you can hear people on the street. My est...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

My wife and I visited our sons that are attending ODU. This hotel is almost right on campus. We were able to walk to visit them and felt safe doing so. Breakfast is included in your stay. Its buffet style, serve yourself.From 6:30-9:30am, Apple and orange juice on tap, fresh fruit, waffles, cereals, bagels, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, sausage patties, milk, coffee, tea, yogurt and more.It was good, not great and I was satisfied.
Our 5th floor room was nice and ours' had a king bed that was comfortable. We overlooked Hampton Blvd so even with the window closed street noise would wake me at times but we did have a nice view toward the campus. The room had a sitting area with a desk, loveseat, and two chairs. A wet bar with fridge and microwave was at the other end of the sitting area. The tube/toilet area was a little cramped but it worked fine, Maid service was excellent, the staff was helpful and friendly. Parking is by fee ;( .

We will stay there again as we didn't have to have a rental car or drive to see our kids and other than the street noise it was a quiet stay

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

As an ODU employee who lives out of town, I have had a couple of two night stays at the hotel. I always enjoy the "suite" (room with a wall in the middle) concept since I would rather be on a couch than in the bed to relax and work. The hotel has a small but more than adequate sports bar that will deliver or do takeout (the chili, wings and burgers are great) and a good complementary breakfast. The obligatory microwave and fridge in the room are nice for longer stays or stretching that takeout into two meals.
Due to demand, you will not luck up and find this one on Priceline or Hotwire. They stay pretty busy but all in all, not a bad deal at government rates. Warning: you have to pay to park there.

As long as I can get $40-$50 deals on 3 star hotels on Priceline and Hotwire, I probably won't be back but I suggest it for anyone visiting the ODU campus.

Room Tip: Avoid an outside room on windy nights. The windows rattle.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
sbktravels
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

The hotel is great and I would visit when in the area. The service was great an the hotel is very clean. The hotel is modern and worth staying at. They offer a complimentary breakfast which has choices availble for everyone. The hotel can get busy being on a college campus but when in your room there are no issues with noise. There are numerous coffee shops and restuarants within a very short walking distance.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Been to this hotel on many occasions. Reception and breakfast staff are very friendly and accommodating. Rooms are a good size, with separate lounge area with sofa, chairs and kitchen area. There is a small market shop next to reception for snacks etc. The Monarch Grill is right next door and offers lunch, dinner, happy hour on drinks. There is a Starbucks and a few good restaurants, which offer good value, within walking distance. We use this hotel for it's convienience although many hotels offer lower prices in downtown Norfolk eg Norfolk Plaza.

Room Tip: Get a room away from road to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

This hotel stay was excellent, as my family and friends came into town for my graduation. The staff were awesome in helping to diffuse possible family issues (divorce), late arrivals, etc. Mrs. Misty was especially understanding and helpful=AWESOME. Everyone was great. The hotel was nice and made sure all our needs were met. Thank you for a wonderful experience that could been terrible had it not been for the staff. They deserve a great reward.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel appear to be quieter than those on Hampton Blvd
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Chula Vista, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

My profile states that I prefer a high floor away from the elevator, mainly because I am a light sleeper. When I checked in I was given a hight floor, right next to the elevator, and facing a busy street where 18 wheelers would often have to stop at the street light.
I asked to be relocated and was given a quiet room.
Overall the hotel is nice, clean, and conveniently located a short drive to the Naval Base.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to SpringHill Suites Norfolk Old Dominion University? Share your experiences!