“Don't let the outside fool you” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 621 Restaurants in Norfolk
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Don't let the outside fool you”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

We drove all day til we arrived at 10:30pm. We ate there by default (all the other restaurants we wanted to try closed at either 9 it 10pm) but because of my fellow tripadvisor and their reviews, I stood firm and announced to my skeptical family members, "yes, we are eating here."
The Rockfish was cooked to perfection, and creatively cooked w butter beans and fingerling potatoes. Mac and cheese I heard so much about lives to its reputation. My jambalaya was not true form but they did their spin on it and it had a more soup then what I woul have liked but the fish that was blackened on top and seasoning overall was amazing. The batter on fish for fish and chips were light and baked golden. Just overall amazing. We would have happily paid (and would have in more in a fancier place) but feeding a family of 5 with 2 apps, main entrees, wine and 2 beers- amazing at 150 bucks!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Chillicothe, Ohio, United States
“Good Food!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Great food, great atmosphere. Not a very big place, but that's perfect. Ordered the bounty sampler, loved, loved it!! Ate there twice the week I stayed in Norfolk.

Visited July 2013
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Visiting area from Gaithersburg, Md.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife loves Crab/Lobster and the all you can eat special was perfect, she loved it.

I had a Burger and it was very good. Loved the Beer selection.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Norfolk, Virginia
“says something when the last review is over a year old”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I am a regular eat at Bars in Norfolk single guy and enjoy many in particular Press 626 on corner of Olney and Colley in Ghent and the new Colley Cantina. I have travelled half the world, seen some fine service and some not so fine. On Sunday night I went to AW Shucks with a group of 6-7 we were served by a bar tender who I was told was "the Best" must have been having a bad day. QUITE HONESTLY MY WORST EXPERIENCE IN A BAR WORLDWIDE. I was so angry I left before an incident occurred leaving $90 for a bill that may have run to $25, requesting my friends be taken care of. Apparently he took it as a tip for the good service!! Hope he uses it to pay for laundry, a clean up and perhaps bar tending school.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Very Popular and Very Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I was with a party of three and we arrived about 5 o'clock. It was quite crowded and we were given a 30 minute wait. While in the waiting foyer we ordered drinks. I, being a Guinness fan, was disappointed finding out they didn't serve it however please to learn they had Murphy's (from Cork Ireland) Stout in the can that contained the "nitrogen widget" giving it a very good draught taste. Once we were seated service was prompt and recommendations on meals were excellent. I had the crab cakes which were very good (not the best I have ever had but still good). But I also had the Malpeque Oysters for the first time and I must say they are now my favorite oyster on the half shell.

It was a fun place with good food and I learned two good lessons: 1) Murphy Stout is a good substitute for Guinness and 2) Malpeque Oysters have to be the best oyster I have ever had!

I wouldn't hesitate recommending A. W. Shucks to anyone and certainly hope I have a chance to return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere