“sad excuse of a hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
Alexandria, Virginia
“sad excuse of a hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

this hotel has to be the worst establishment that i have ever in my life rested my head in. First of all the staff is very unprofessional, management more so than front desk. The desk clerks seemed as if it was a burden to assist me each time i approached the desk, from check in to check out and every time in between. The lobby was poorly maintained, the elevator was down the first 3 days of my 7 night stay. It started working again for 2 days, then went back out for the remaining 2 days. The room was standard for the most part until we went to turn back the sheets and there was seemed to be a dry yellowish stain on the flat sheet. Asked the front desk if they had any new sheets and she that she had some in the dryer and that i needed to bring my dirty sheets down. NO PROBLEM... 4 hours later still no sheets. Long story short, i finally received my sheets from the NIGHT ATTENDANT at almost midnight.

Notified management the next morning of the situation (Tequila was her name i believe) she nonchalantly apologized for my inconvenience and assured me that new linen would be prepared for my room.

Later that night we had just come in from a family outing and walked into the room turned on the lights and 3 roaches went scattering.

Needed new towels and once again it took forever to finally receive them. ...Horrible week!

Room Tip: Do not consider this place
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Morgan City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed (lived) here for more than a year when my husband was in Norfolk. Granted the staff the first few months were rude and didn't seem to care about the guest. I must say though after they were discharged by management the new staff have gone out of their way to accommodate me with any thing I needed. I never once the whole time I was there saw any roaches. Towels and linens were always clean. The only thing that I can say was not so good there was the elevator breaking down on a few occasions. This location is very convenient to grocery,shopping and restaurants. It's a very safe place to stay and I will definitely be staying here again if ever I should be back in Norfolk.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
McLean, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

On the 27th of July I made a reservation at this hotel, and I cancelled it at 7:49am on Monday, July 30th. I received a cancellation I.D.
On Saturday morning, August 3rd, I checked my bank account, as I do every morning, and found a $211 no-show bill charged by Savannah Suites.
I called the hotel and spoke to an extremely snotty little girl who was irritated that I'd called. She told me they'd received the cancellation Friday night (liar), and that they'd already reversed the charge but that I wouldn't have access to my money again until Tuesday.
This was not a mistake - this was naked incompetence and I would advaise anyone and everyone who is thinking of staying at this hotel to avoid them unless you're willing to float them a couple of hundred bucks for a few days.
If my money isn't back in my account by 0700 tomorrow morning I'm reporting these thieves to the BBB and the Virginia Office of the Attorney General Consumer Protection Section.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The staff at the front desk were very RUDE!!! when we asked questions the young lady acted as if we asked her for a loan or something! Very RUDE! The room had a smell! We killed a few roaches in the bathroom! The towels & wash cloths were stained! And they are Extremely Expensive! It's just like staying at Bates Motel! The Police was there everyday that we were there! Never Again!

• Stayed July 2012
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

This was my second time staying at this hotel and I had no issues. Maybe as a single man traveling alone my expectations aren't as lofty. However, the bed was decent the room was clean and ready when I checked in. I was not impressed with anything this hotel had to offer, but I wasn't disappointed either. It was worth the $60

Room Tip: I always find it helpful to view the room they plan to put me in before I finalize check in. Most ho...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, Guest Relations Manager at Savannah Suites Norfolk, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Thank you for your review of Savannah Suites Norfolk. Guest reviews provide us with the opportunity to improve our services and amenities for future guests. We are glad that you had a stay free from stress or issue at Savannah Suites. We welcome you back the next time you are in Norfolk, VA to see first hand how reviews like yours affect our service.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Where to begin? For1 the beds are uncomfortable with plastic in them , sheets never stay on the bed fringe sliding off due to plastic. Sound like a person sleeping in a crib. Pillow are flat, tv channels don't work . Have to look for clean linen. Go Days without clean towels and sheets. The bedspreads are dirty and holey . The sheets when washed are still dirty. The staff at the front desk are rude. The stove only 1 eye works. Fridge is horrible. The have a dam nerve to charge 14.00 for room service you don't get . You Have to look for the housekeepers to get anything. When you do they are rude and tell you they are not allowed to give you towels or sheets. The toilet paper is cheaply dispense. Out of 6pack roll meaning 1 roll per room. This place recently replaced the hall carpets. They need to the rooms a dam renovations. And be more professional and hire a new staff and management. Everyone at the front desk looks like they are young high school kids. The place needs a major changed if they want to compete with the hotel Candlewood Suites and HI Express.

• Stayed May 2012
bjohnsonSS, Guest Relations Manager at Savannah Suites Norfolk, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Thank you for your review of Savannah Suites Norfolk. Guest reviews are taken very seriously at our hotels and provide the opportunity to improve our services and amenities for our guests. We apologize that your stay was less than satisfactory. Savannah Suites Norfolk is currently undergoing soft room renovations, and new mattresses have been going into our rooms. In the haste of trying to have the room ready as soon as possible, it is possible that the maintenance staff failed to remove the plastic from the mattress.

Savannah Suites Norfolk offers an Extended Stay program. As with all Extend Stay Hotels, weekly and monthly guests are allotted 1 full housekeeping service per week, as well as 1 light housekeeping service, in which the trash is emptied and towels are replaced. If you are between services, towels can be exchanged through the front desk. All of this information is provided in our welcome pack when you check in. Again, we apologize that your stay was less than satisfactory and welcome you back the next time you are in Norfolk, VA.
Chesapeake, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

They charged me for extra nights after I checked out, Manager INCREDIBLY rude, all staff has excessive tattoos displayed, and the rooms had at least 1 thing broken in each of them. If you want to save money, go to a better place that simply won't rip you off!
DON'T STAY HERE !

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Savannah Suites Norfolk? Share your experiences!