“Bike the Gardens” 5 of 5 stars

Norfolk, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
“Bike the Gardens”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

We are so lucky to have these beautiful gardens in our city. Each and every time I go I see something new. The change of the seasons offers so many beautiful plants, trees, flowers, and places for families to spend time outside. My husband and I have totally enjoyed the bike nights and crew regattas. Bike nights are a great way to get some exercise while seeing so much. The hydrangea garden is amazing. So are the azaleas. The trees are expansive. The butterfly garden has such pretty colors. I am always blown away with the blooms of bulbs. We walked through the water play area on our last visit and I wished I was a kid again. The roses are expansive and unbelievable when in bloom. It is hard to believe the airport is right next door, but even watching planes take off is fun from the area they have on the hill. My only complaint is the removal of all eagle nests from the gardens due to the proximity of the airport. Aside from that the gardens are well worth the visit and membership if you live nearby.

Visited August 2013

Virginia Beach
33 attraction reviews
“Christmas Lights at the Botanical Gardens”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Great drive through Christmas Light Show. Terrific time for adults and children. Set to music you can follow on your radio. Has become a family tradition we all look forward to. Usually begins the week after Thanksgiving. Caution though, they only take cash so be prepared.

6 attraction reviews
“Very charming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

In November, when there are not many things to see in Botanical garden, we had a great experience in that garden. Very charming and nice, lots of different sections and paths. Beautiful!

Visited November 2013
Reston, Virginia
57 attraction reviews
“Must see for Christmas Lights”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

I visited the park for Garden of Lights, so my review is only around that. I reached the park at 5:45 PM (the lights start at 5:30 PM). The lined moved pretty quickly. The entry was 20$ per car during the weekend (they ONLY accept cash). The entire drive takes about 40-45 minutes (~2 miles of lights). If you haven't seen anything like this before, you would be amazed.

I had an opportunity to visit similar light fest in Tanglewood Park (Clemmons, NC) and this was almost as good as that. The entry per car was double than that, but oh well.

The restrooms are located at the beginning in case you need to make a pit stop for that. They also have kettle corn available almost at the entrance. They didn't have a sign to turn off the headlights, but apparently, most folks in the line behind me were sensible enough to do that on their own.

It is definitely worth it if you live in that area, but not something that I would want to drive an hour for.

Visited December 2013
14 attraction reviews
“Year round gem (love the holiday lights!)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

I have been to the garden in the spring and it was a great outing. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. I can't wait to return.

However, what stole my heart was our winter visit. The holiday lights are spectacular! Lights are literally draped from the trees (Avatar style) and the festive lighted decorations are great.

This would be a great trip for any family including ours (all adults)!

Just please, turn your lights off when traveling through. It makes it so much better for the people ahead of you!