“Has Come A Long Way” 4 of 5 stars

Norfolk, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
“Has Come A Long Way”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

My husband and I went to the zoo when we were in VA for the first time (military) and it was just sad, to be honest. The elephants seemed to be emaciated, there were not too many animals, the feel of it all was just "eh", all in all it just was sad. We were back in VA early/mid last year and went to the zoo many time with our daughters and have a great time every time! The animals looked happy and healthy, the whole feel of the zoo was happy. Very different than it was 7-8 years ago. I don't know what happened, if there are new managers or what, but it is so much better now.

I will say, the only reason that I didn't give it a 5 star was because there was a lot of construction going on with new exhibits and such as of last year. I am anxious to go back and see what they were working on and doing.

Visited May 2013

Norfolk, Virginia
13 attraction reviews
“AWESOME”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Went a few months ago, I have driven by it a thousand times since my last visit in elementary school. We wont say when that was.
I was so surprised to see this wonderful Zoo that I had taken for granted for a long time. An amazing set up .. Geared to everyone of all ages.. Kids were all having a blast..
Can't wait to go back.. I promise it wont be that long again!!

Visited October 2013
Reidsville, North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
“Great Zoo!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

My family loved this zoo. It was very clean, beautifully landscaped, the exhibits allowed you to get close enough to really see the animals, and it was large enough to be worth the money but it didn't take all day. I will definitely be back!

Visited September 2013
Dumfries, Virginia
26 attraction reviews
“Fun for the family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

This is a great, underrated zoo tucked into the corner of the state. I don't know if it's because there are so many families in the area, but it's a FAR better zoo than you'd expect from such a small urban area.

Visited September 2013
6 attraction reviews
“Great zoo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We always visit zoo, everywhere. That one was one of the best experience, because it happened in November and animals were not hiding neither sleeping. We saw everyone! It's not very big but very charming place.

Visited November 2013

Been to Virginia Zoo? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Virginia Zoo, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.