“Best Thai in the region” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Norfolk, Virginia
“Best Thai in the region”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

My Asian friends agree-- best Thai in the region (I'm not Asian).
I love the place and go often with my GF. I even go alone and also order carry out.
Totally delicious. I see that there is a dichotomy in the reviews: 2/3 love the place, the other 1/3 gives very bad reviews. I don't understand this, frankly. The food is excellent, but it is ethnic, and it's quite hot. Try one of the curries, and ask for it "mild" if you are unsure of the spice level; they will comply. Once I returned a dish, and they allowed me to order another dish with no charge for the first one. I have been many, many times, find them very nice and accommodating, and the food excellent!

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Chesapeake, Virginia
“Beautiful restaurant AND great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

My coworker who has lived in the area for several years was driving to another restaurant for lunch when we passed Bangkok Garden and saying he’d heard it had just re-opened and suggested we check it out.

Wow; what a beautiful building completed with very nice décor of a combination of an old classic European and Thai restaurant. The bar was beautiful and fully-stocked bar with well-known brands of spirits and 10-12 beers on tap. There is an outdoor seating patio and glass doors can be opened between it and the dining room, but it was a little breezy the day we were there.

We arrived about 11:30 AM and there was already a good crowd which kept growing. I ordered the lunch-version of their Beef Pad Kapau with comes with a side salad and a small egg roll. This was $8.50; about the same price as the strip mall versions of Thai restaurants. Heed the peppers shown on the menu. I’ve lived in Asia for several years and have been to Thailand and Thai restaurants in many locations around the world, so I know and appreciate good spice. This was spicy, so let the waitress know in advance if you’d like it toned down a bit. I’m ready to go back!

There is ample parking, which is a real plus in the part of town.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Norfolk, Virginia
“Over-Priced, Flavorless Food - Go to Rama Garden Instead”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

After a few years of loyalty to other Norfolk Thai places, I decided to give the new BG location a chance.

I had a coupon for $5 off a take-out delivery over $30. I'm glad because the final total for two Pad Khing Sod dinners was just over $30. (That's a steep price point when Rama Garden and Thai Erawan are both $3 cheaper for DOUBLE the portion size.)

Anyways, I got home excited to dig in to my dinner and was SO DISAPPOINTED. I had ordered "Healthy Ginger," which is typically served with stir fried garlic, ginger, onion, scallions, mushrooms in a decent serving of black bean sauce. Instead, I got a weird dish composed of 98% snap peas, 1% carrots and 1% flavorless chicken in a tablespoon of salty broth. Even the rice was doughy.

Frustrated with the mis-communication, I called the manager who encouraged me to repackage the food, find my receipt and come back to exchange it for another dish - Pad Kee Mao, or Drunken Noodle. Fine, great. So I cram the snap peas back into their containers and make the drive across Ghent in the rain to exchange them for what can only be described as the most average Drunken Noodle of my life. (The manager didn't offer any discount for my inconvenience and actually hid while I waited 10 minutes for my second round of food to come out.)

Round two: the drunken noodle. The two-star (our of three!) spice level barely registered. The noodles were like something you would buy at Harris Teeter. The dish was full of onions with hardly any bell peppers or tomato. The portion was just enough to keep me from gnawing off my own arm in starvation.

At that point I was too exhausted to call and complain again, so I ate the food - and the money - and took it as a lesson learned.

TL,DR: The food is over-priced and poor quality. If you're looking for authentic, well-priced Thai food in Norfolk, go to Rama Garden on Granby Street.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Denver, Colorado
“Never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Tried it for the first time and it will be the last.
Not impressed. Flavorless food. Overcooked chicken.
I thought it was so bad.
Service ok not great. The restaurant itself is so pretty but do not let it fool you. Thai on grandy downtown tons
better. Stay away. Rip off

Visited March 2014
Norfolk, Virginia
“Beautiful new building, but food is not as good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

I couldn't wait for Bangkok Garden to reopen, but the food is greasy and not as tasty. Is there another cook now? I miss the old staff too, not as friendly or knowledgeable as the old place. I wished they stayed where they were.

• Visited January 2014