“A holy good meal” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 580 Restaurants in Norfolk
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Dessert, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located in a 140 year-old renovated church, Freemason Abbey Restaurant has been a local's favorite in the heart of downtown Norfolk for 23 years.
Lenoir, North Carolina
“A holy good meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Beautiful old church renovated into a restaurant. Short walk from the hotel. Excellent meal with great variety of selections. My choice was the prime rib. Prepared as ordered and very good. Prices were reasonable and a interesting location for history buffs.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Barrie, Ontario
“Very, very, very GOOD!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Went as part of a special dining week in Norfolk and so glad we did. Impeccable service, attentive but not intrusive. Food was divine. Very knowledgable and accommodating. Server offered to pack our desserts to go, noticing some hasn't finished mains. Really nice decor, sit upstairs if you can. Also a nice washroom. All around great place and meal!

Chesapeake, Virginia
“Meal in a converted church was "heavenly"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This is the third time I've eaten at FA in 4 years and there has been no deterioration in service, quality of cuisine or atmosphere. The so-called "Downtown Norfolk Week" restaurant promotion among local restaurants made the brunch meal price even more "palatable". We enjoyed the appetizers of sirloin broccoli cheese soup and she crab soup. I like the subtle kick of spice in the she crab soup. The "Lunch fantasia" consisting of shrimp and scallop on linguine around a nest of crab meat was very good. The portion was generous for a lunch entree. My wife enjoyed her crab cake. Our guests raved about the wildberry sorbet and bread pudding desserts. The waitress was attentive but not "on top" of us all the time... very friendly, too. No wonder Freemason Abbey won the area's gold award promotion for brunch offerings.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Detroit
“Pretty place, food not that impressive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

The food here was ok but our service was a bit sketchy. First I ordered a glass of wine. My family also ordered drinks, theirs arrived, mine did not. They were out of that wine and I had to wait 10 minutes for my replacement. That drives me a little batty right at the get go. Whatever happened to the daily meetings where the staff is updated on what is available? Grrrr. Then our appetizers were ordered. The wrong appetizer was brought out for my daughter. This wait was 15 minutes to correct. My husband and I had ordered soup, but the polite thing to do is to wait until everyone is served before you begin to eat. Apparently that is no longer recognized either because there was no offer to keep our soup warm while we waited for the correct appetizer. Grrr...again. Then the entrees arrived. I had ordered my filet med. rare and it was raw. Cold in the center. I had to flag down a bus person as our waitress was no where to be found (meanwhile my glass of wine has been sitting empty along with my husbands beer. ). Finally got my steak back but I didn't feel the quality was that great. More like the end of a tenderloin, and the shrimp, while flavorful, were very small (50-60). And since when do you serve cocktail sauce with Cajun broiled shrimp? Weird. All in all, for a restaurant that likes to toot themselves as one of the best in Norfolk, I was not very impressed.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Chesapeake, Virginia
“A good church to visit.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

It has been quite some time since I've dined at Freemason Abby in Norfolk. I am happy to report that the food, service, and atmosphere is just as good (if not better) as ever. So many restaurants seem to rest on their laurels once they have been "discovered".
This past week, I had a Facebook friend come down from Connecticut for a short vacation in Virginia Beach. I suggested that we meet at the Abby for lunch since it was restaurant week in Norfolk.
My Yankee friends were equally impressed. All in all, we covered the menu; pasta with shrimp, scallops, & crab, oyster poor boy, a wrap, she crab soup, fried oysters, fried green tomatoes, and bread pudding. Not one item was lacking for want of flavor, freshness, or portion size. (I find that many places cut back on the size of their portions during restaurant week to make up for the reduced cost of their bill of fare).
I also would like to point out that our waitress was very knowledgeable and quite helpful with her suggestions. Also, the owner (or manager) came by our table to see if we were enjoying our meal & if we needed anything else. When we were leaving, the seating hostess who knew that my guests were from out of state, gave them postcards of the restaurant as well as other material about the city of Norfolk.
As you can see, I was most happy to have chosen the Freemason Abby to represent what we proudly call Southern Hospitality.