“Nothing fancy - just good food, reasonable prices and decent service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of O'Sullivan's Wharf

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Outdoor seating
Good for: Outdoor seating
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Nothing fancy - just good food, reasonable prices and decent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have been going here for years, and one of the clubs I am in meets here quarterly. The food is always good (great raw/steamed selections), the prices reasonable and the staff is always happy to see you. If you're looking for a good meal in casual surroundings, I highly recommend O'Sully's.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“A Trip back in Time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Recently for ODU homecoming, my wife and met some other friends and fraternity brothers at Sully's for some trashcan lids of nachos and beer. when we walked into the place I felt that it took me back to a time when I was in college. We shared the nachos and some cold beer and listened to live music that brought ne back to when I was in college. The band was hitting the tunes that everyone could dance or sing to and there wasn't a seat in the house. If you get a chance to go out and just relax on the town for the night, you have to stop by Sully's and have a trashcan lid of nachos and your favorite beverage.

Visited October 2012
Fontana, California
“Interesting 'local flavor with a view'”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Had some time to kill after a job interview before I caught a plane back to the West Coast. Wanted something local with a water view, so this came up on my search. I was coming from Chesapeake, and my GPS put me through some pretty sketchy parts of town before I finally found it. It has a very modest exterior to say the least.

Came after the lunch rush, but there were still a number of folks hanging around in both the bar and dining area. Asked for table where I could see the water and was promptly seated in a covered porch that smelled strongly of smoke. The host opened a couple of sliding patio doors and took care of the odor. There were rough-hewn tables on an overhanging, but very narrow deck, but it was starting to spit, so I opted to stay in the smoking section (there wasn't anyone around me smoking, though).

Server was upbeat and friendly. Ordered a cup of the she crab chowder and the deep fried oysters entree. It came with two sides, but I was sure I wasn't hungry enough to eat them all and settled for just fries. Everything was piping hot, although there seemed to be an unnecessary delay between ordering and getting my chowder. It was rich and creamy to the point of not being able to taste any other flavors (my husband calls this style of preparation "cream of cream chowder"). I hadn't tasted she crab before and can honestly say I don't know if I have now either.

The oysters were smaller than what I was used to on the West coast, but still very tasty with a generous portion. The breading was obviously 'house-made' and wonderfully crunchy and light. The mound of fries accompanying the meal was frightening!

I was taken care of during my meal--asking for extra tarter sauce; replacing my fork that dropped on the floor etc.. The view wasn't outstanding, a couple of fishing boats moored to a small dock and a weird 'fountain' with plaster crocodiles (?), but it sure beat sitting around an airport bar waiting for your flight to be called!

I wouldn't recommend it as a must-see destination, but if you're in the area-check it out.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Not worth a second visit.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I have been meaning to eat here for about six months and finally did when his parents came. We sat outside and it was so comfortable. Very few people were out there so we felt like we had the place to ourselves. Our waittess was wonderful. She was very sweet and helpful. My mother in law and myself both ordered the fish and chips. I loved the fries but our fish had no flavor. We poured vinegar on our fish until it was drenched just too add some tadte. My husband normally gets a cesar salad when we eat out and the one that night he claimed it was the worst he has ever had and his seafood was over seasoned. My father in law could barely eat his chicken it was so dry. Then both he and my husband ordered coffee and couldn't drink it because it was not fresh and tasted horrible. We all walked out saying the waitress was wonderful, we loved sitting outside, but the food was lousy!

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Norfolk, Virginia
“Overall okay but excellent hushpuppies”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Sat outside which was very nice though even the enclosed patio had smoking I noticed. Excellent service. Very friendly waitresses all around. My crabcake was disappointing. Dry with little flavor, had to douse with tartar sauce. Hush puppies are outstanding with the honey butter, even though that is pre-packaged. Good happy hour specials.

• 3 of 5 stars Food