“A long history, some of which is not so proud” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Norfolk, Virginia
“A long history, some of which is not so proud”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Doumar’s has along history dating back to 1904. Much of its history is on its web site Having been born and reared in Norfolk, I remember Doumar’s most vividly in the 1950’s, when it was a ‘whites only’ establishment. Then, if a non-white were to slowly drive by the establishment, racial epithets would always emanate from the patrons. Those days reflect the area’s proud history of segregation and racism. Fifty years later, some things have changed. The color of green is sometimes more significant than black or white. Today, at age 70, I patronized Doumar’s for the first time.

Doumar’s is proud of its long history and of its made-on-premises minced BBQ and cole slaw. It’s most popular item is its minced BBQ with slaw sandwich. It also makes its ice cream and ice cream cones. I ended up eating two BBQ sandwiches with slaw and a vanilla ice cream cone. ($8.15 total). The BBQ appears to be whole hog. I only encountered one small piece of gristle or bone in my first sandwich. The sandwiches are quite ample for the price. Now, these are not the award winning BBQ sandwiches, and Doumar’s does not claim them to be. Doumar’s will never be confused with North Carolina-style BBQ. The ice cream cone was good, somewhat creamy, and did not contain a lot of butter fat. Service was warm and cordial .
Of the eight persons ‘working’ behind the dining counter, one was non-white. I noticed that most who referred to my server referred to her as ‘Shirley’. The non-white behind the counter, however, referred to her as ‘Miss Shirley’, reminding me of the past. When my lady flies in from New York, I’ll revisit Doumar’s. She’s my age, from Norfolk and has experienced the history as I have. It’ll be her first time at Doumar’s and I’m anxious about her review of the place.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

68% Recommend
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
“A Norfolk Classic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

The creator of the ice cream cone lives on! He still makes cones almost every day of the week. Only place in Hampton Roads that is still perfectly classic as the day it opened.

Visited October 2012
Norfolk, Virginia
“What BBQ?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Went there for the first time, was caught off guard by the low prices, then saw why they were like that. Nothing on the sandwiches. I was in the mood for some BBQ thats why we went. WHAT BBQ? They had what they claimed to be a pork BBQ sandwich, with no BBQ sauce and super dry pork. Also tried the steak sandwich: super dry chewy with lots of fat and was at room temp. Also the fries for $1.60 were smaller than a McDonalds small fry and also at room temp. All in all VERY Disappointed with the food, not worthy of all the rave it gets, surely won't be back.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Manhattan, Kansas
“Okay Food & Terrible Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

After seeing this location on the DDD list and knowing people to visit it I popped in to Doumar's for a burger and shake...only to be serviced the thinnest burger of all time (thinner than McDonalds) and a shake from a machine. Our server was unfriendly, the food was something I make better at home, and the shake was a melted mess that tasted just like a frosty!
Not only were we disappointed by the food and server...but couldn't get a key to the bathroom and was given crap twice about needing to move the ketchup to the counter to keep it away from my 16 month old daughter! :(
On a good note...the original owner of the restaurant was there just relaxing at the counter...and he was the sweetest man you could ever speak to...just wish the people working for him were half as kind as him!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fayetteville, North Carolina
“Average BBQ, Intriguing menu”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I ate here two days ago. I had heard good things about it and was eagar to try it. I admit right up front I am a BBQ snob and a big fan of eastern NC style BBQ. I found the BBQ here very average. I had the sandwiches with cole slaw and had to look inside to see if there was slaw on them.
That being said I loved the chocolate shake and the menu has many more intriguiging items that I will try in the future.

• Visited October 2012