“Come for Convenient Location, Stay for Supper • 10 Min. to Norfolk Airport (ORF) • Free Airport Shuttle • 30 Min. to Virginia Be” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Norfolk Airport

Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #1 of 39 hotels in Norfolk
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Standard, functional Residence Inn (RI) set in lovely corporate/ office park off North Military Highway. Good/ adequate 5-story RI (130 suites) -- not high-end, not low-end -- right in middle.

1-Bedroom Suite (Queen Bed)
-----------------------
• Roomy for 1, comfortable for 2, cozy for 3.

• Aging/ wearing furnishings & décor, but comfortable/ functional. Also, older TVs (if remembering correctly) -- not LCDs.

• Separate kitchenette table & desk for working. Free internet/ WiFi.

• Occasionally, faintly heard a plane from nearby airport -- non-issue from my room, which was not facing airport. (Request quieter area of hotel if noise is concern.)

Niceties
-----------
• Business Center room to sit comfortably at computers (2) & printer to print documents & boarding passes.

• Exercise room with older working equipment. Also, guest laundry. (Can exercise between wash/ dry cycles.)

• Free on-site self-parking.

• Not side-walk friendly area, but you can safely stroll after dinner/ work in nearby pleasant corporate/ office park.

• Convenient access to many work sites/ roadways I-64 (Hampton Roads Beltway), I-264 (Norfolk Virginia Beach Expy).

Economical Meals
-------------------------
• Standard (free) RI hot & cold breakfast (scrambled eggs, meats, cereals, breads, yoghurts...) & evening meals. (Chefs/ cooks make exceptionally flavourful breakfast potatoes.)

• Always hope for additional healthy options such as: plain Greek yoghurt, whole grain breads, variety of in-season fruits, etc. Always hope for & appreciate more food *rotation* & *variety* such as: breakfast wraps, egg sandwiches on whole grain English muffins, sausage hash, etc. -- particularly if you're a repeat or long-stay visitor.

• Evening meals (3 nights) are tastier than many other RIs. (Skilled cooks --- with same ingredients as other RIs -- make surprisingly flavourful meals: strips of seasoned meat with onions/ veg.) Always appreciate salads, too. If your routine, daily sustenance is hotel food, you’ll appreciate chef's efforts.)

• If you’ve time/ inclination, food shop & prepare your own meals in furnished kitchenette. A 5- to 10-minute drive away (each approx. 2 miles (3.2 km) on N. Military Highway) is WalMart & Target for groceries.

• If not on tight budget (or time-constraints), many eateries in downtown Norfolk (approx. 15-20 min. drive). (Downtown/ waterfront (ships) interesting areas to explore on foot, as well -- especially in nice weather.)

Approximate Drive Times -- Depending on Traffic
----------------------------------
• 20 min. (7 mi./ 11 km) to Downtown Norfolk & Waterfront.

• 30 min. (17 mi./ 27 km) to Virginia Beach.

• 10 min. (2 mi./ 3.2 km) to Norfolk International Airport (ORF). (Call RI for *free* Airport Shuttle.)

• 45 min. (28 mi./ 45 km) to Newport News/ Williamsburg International Airport (PHF). (No free RI shuttle to/ from PHF.)

(Depending where you're going & time of day, Norfolk traffic can be painful. Map out your commute before booking hotel to ensure you've a reasonable commute. Allow yourself extra travel time initially until you become familiar with route & traffic patterns/ congestion. GPS helps if you get stuck in traffic & need an alternative route pronto.)

Functional RI for short- or long-stay whether traveling with family, as a couple, or alone on business.

(Not to be confused with Residence Inn Norfolk *Downtown*, a modern, upscale RI that charges $18 parking & has restaurants within walking distance.)

• Stayed January 2012
Christi M, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear gnomemoss,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed review of our hotel. We especially appreciate the comment where you stated our evening meals are tastier than other Residence Inn's! We take great pride in all of the services we offer and we are glad you enjoyed it! It was my pleasure to share your comments with our team members in our daily huddle.

You will be very excited to know that we have already begun our reonvations! We will be updated with the modern upscale furnishings that Marriott hotels are known for. When it is all said and done we will be offering all new products of the following:
mattresses desk chairs pull out sofa-beds lighting packages art work
wallpaper and carpeting throughout the building including guest rooms
Updated fitness center with addition of elliptical machines and free weights
New lobby and dining concepts

We thank you very much for your business. We hope that the next time you find yourself in our area you choose to come back home to the Residence Inn Norfolk Airport.

at your service,

181 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Louisville, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Traveling from Colorado to Norfolk, Virginia. Unfortunately, my son and I ended up in Norfolk at the same time Hurricane Sandy was making her way up north. Fortunately, just windy and rain, but nothing catastrophic during our stay. I've always like the Residence Inn brand, and this hotel did not disappoint. The hotel is located within 10 minutes from the Norfolk Airport and there are a variety of restaurants nearby. There is a really nice mall (MacArthur Center) in downtown Norfolk, which is roughly 15 minutes from the hotel The room was very nice and clean, and the staff was great as well. The breakfast was awesome and hot! Overall, a great stay, especially during the hurricane.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mr. Willman80027:

Thank you very much for your review! I actually remember you. You had phoned in to the hotel, prior to your arrival, and I assured you that you would have a place to call home with us during the storm. I am happy that you enjoyed our clean rooms, great staff, and good food! Most of all, I am glad you made it back home safely to Colorado!

Thank you very much for your business! We would love to have you back!

Sincerly,

Urbana, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

This hotel is conveniently located near the Norfolk airport. Our two-bedroom suite was spacious and spotless, the beds very comfortable. It was a very good value for the price. A hot breakfast is available in the morning and "hors d'oeuvres" in the evening. The latter is really a full meal. Neither are anything special, but will keep body and soul together if one doesn't choose to go to a restaurant or to cook in one's room.

Note: Some internet sites say this hotel charges for internet service. It does not. Furthermore, we found the Wifi to be speedier than is typical for hotels.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear EFFor:

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel! We greatly appreciate your comments about your spotless and spacious room. We are very proud to boast that we are ranked the cleanest Residence Inn in the Southside or Peninsula of Virginia by Marriott Standards!

We are very proud of our entire staff for this great achievement!

It is also great to know that the additional bandwidth we secured for our guests to stay connected during their stay with us is paying off!

Thank you very much for your business and we hope that the next time you are in our area you choose to come back home to us!

at your service,

Merritt Island, Florida, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

This is the second time I have stayed at this Marriott property (the last time being in 2009). It is one of the better Residence Inns I have stayed at.

Pros:
- Very convenient location. About 10 minutes to Naval Station Norfolk, 30 minutes to Langley Research Center (in Hampton) and best of all about 5 minutes from Norfolk Airport.

- Breakfast is included and good. Many hotels offer the same fare daily because they assume guests don't staying enough to care. This hotel mixes things up enough to keep things interesting, but the favorites are still available.
- Lots of ammenities. Indoor pool, basketball/tennis/volleyball court, billiards table, exercise room that includes two treadmills, two stationary bikes, a stair stepper and a multi position nautilus-type weight machine.
- Happy hour / dinner 3 nights a week.
- easy access to I-64.
- BIG roomy, comfortable suites. My college apartment was smaller than this room.

Cons:
- Breakfast plates are not clean (opt for the foam plates instead of china).
- Rooms are a bit noisy. Walls are thin, but no noise from above or below. Airport noise until about 10:00pm. Road noise noticeable from I-64. Yet I slept well in spite of it all.
-Staff inconsistent. Some were super friendly and cheerful, others very abrupt and business like. Not rude, just not warm and friendly.

In summary, I can recommend this property and I will use it again soon.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Bimmermanz3:

I greatly appreciate your review of the Residence Inn Norfolk Airport. I would also have to say that our rooms are bigger than my first college apartment as well!

I have reviewed your comments with our associates and Department Heads in detail. Since your review, I have performed guest service and culture training. We need to ensure every guest on every stay receives our warm; friendly, and attentive service.

Thank you very much for your patronage and loyalty to our hotel! During your next week visit you will get to experience our refreshed service and product! We are currently undergoing a renovation in all guest rooms and public areas. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly when securing your next stay.

at your SERVICE,

Bealeton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Always try to stay when I'm visiting my son who is in the Navy in VA Beach. Excellent location near the highways and close enough to shopping and dozens of places to eat if you don't want to cook your food in your room!! Stayed in Rm 319 which is a 1 BR suite and the A/C worked great as did everything else. They have a wonderful indoor pool / jacuzzi too. Don't forget they have a gas grill you can use to BBQ food too.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This property was a welcome surprise. We needed a crash pad for the night in Norfolk and the Residence Inn had a great rate and decent reviews...so why not give it a shot. All around it was a good quality stay. The room was spacious, comfortable, clean and modern - no complaints. Lobby was also large and modern. MUCH more modern than many Residence Inns - would definitely recommend and stay here in the future. Property is also close to the downtown nightlife making it easy to walk to various bars, restaurants, etc. Only complaint is the parking fee $18! There are several lots for less, making it pretty easy to find a more economical option.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

After traveling for nearly 3 weeks for work it was time to take a family break. The warm reception I received by the front desk staff was refreshing after a nearly 10 hour drive. I need to name two MVP's at the front desk, Cheryl and Tara made it happen for me despite my last minute request to be on the same floor as my children (the hotel was nearly at capacity). When we did get our room in this smoke free property it was clear that the persons who had recently stayed didn't adhere to this policy. I was really annoyed to say the least. Why do people do that? I don't think the $250.00 fine is worth it. The response once again from both Cheryl and Tara was professional and customer driven. I don't believe their response was because of my Platinum status but genuine care for guest.
My family and I had a great time, and the breakfast menu had variety in the two days we stayed. The dog friendly property didn't faze us either,no barking was heard.The rooms need to be updated, with the most recent look. The beds were great and my family was happy.I must admit the airplane were somewhat annoying in the early morning, but it is the Residence Norfolk Airport.

Room Tip: You want to stay on the 5th floor, it's out of the general flow of traffic.