Standard, functional Residence Inn (RI) set in lovely corporate/ office park off North Military Highway. Good/ adequate 5-story RI (130 suites) -- not high-end, not low-end -- right in middle.
1-Bedroom Suite (Queen Bed)
• Roomy for 1, comfortable for 2, cozy for 3.
• Aging/ wearing furnishings & décor, but comfortable/ functional. Also, older TVs (if remembering correctly) -- not LCDs.
• Separate kitchenette table & desk for working. Free internet/ WiFi.
• Occasionally, faintly heard a plane from nearby airport -- non-issue from my room, which was not facing airport. (Request quieter area of hotel if noise is concern.)
• Business Center room to sit comfortably at computers (2) & printer to print documents & boarding passes.
• Exercise room with older working equipment. Also, guest laundry. (Can exercise between wash/ dry cycles.)
• Free on-site self-parking.
• Not side-walk friendly area, but you can safely stroll after dinner/ work in nearby pleasant corporate/ office park.
• Convenient access to many work sites/ roadways I-64 (Hampton Roads Beltway), I-264 (Norfolk Virginia Beach Expy).
• Standard (free) RI hot & cold breakfast (scrambled eggs, meats, cereals, breads, yoghurts...) & evening meals. (Chefs/ cooks make exceptionally flavourful breakfast potatoes.)
• Always hope for additional healthy options such as: plain Greek yoghurt, whole grain breads, variety of in-season fruits, etc. Always hope for & appreciate more food *rotation* & *variety* such as: breakfast wraps, egg sandwiches on whole grain English muffins, sausage hash, etc. -- particularly if you're a repeat or long-stay visitor.
• Evening meals (3 nights) are tastier than many other RIs. (Skilled cooks --- with same ingredients as other RIs -- make surprisingly flavourful meals: strips of seasoned meat with onions/ veg.) Always appreciate salads, too. If your routine, daily sustenance is hotel food, you’ll appreciate chef's efforts.)
• If you’ve time/ inclination, food shop & prepare your own meals in furnished kitchenette. A 5- to 10-minute drive away (each approx. 2 miles (3.2 km) on N. Military Highway) is WalMart & Target for groceries.
• If not on tight budget (or time-constraints), many eateries in downtown Norfolk (approx. 15-20 min. drive). (Downtown/ waterfront (ships) interesting areas to explore on foot, as well -- especially in nice weather.)
Approximate Drive Times -- Depending on Traffic
• 20 min. (7 mi./ 11 km) to Downtown Norfolk & Waterfront.
• 30 min. (17 mi./ 27 km) to Virginia Beach.
• 10 min. (2 mi./ 3.2 km) to Norfolk International Airport (ORF). (Call RI for *free* Airport Shuttle.)
• 45 min. (28 mi./ 45 km) to Newport News/ Williamsburg International Airport (PHF). (No free RI shuttle to/ from PHF.)
(Depending where you're going & time of day, Norfolk traffic can be painful. Map out your commute before booking hotel to ensure you've a reasonable commute. Allow yourself extra travel time initially until you become familiar with route & traffic patterns/ congestion. GPS helps if you get stuck in traffic & need an alternative route pronto.)
Functional RI for short- or long-stay whether traveling with family, as a couple, or alone on business.
(Not to be confused with Residence Inn Norfolk *Downtown*, a modern, upscale RI that charges $18 parking & has restaurants within walking distance.)