“Good choice for a business trip to Norfolk” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #1 of 39 hotels in Norfolk
Merritt Island, Florida, USA
“Good choice for a business trip to Norfolk”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

This is the second time I have stayed at this Marriott property (the last time being in 2009). It is one of the better Residence Inns I have stayed at.

Pros:
- Very convenient location. About 10 minutes to Naval Station Norfolk, 30 minutes to Langley Research Center (in Hampton) and best of all about 5 minutes from Norfolk Airport.

- Breakfast is included and good. Many hotels offer the same fare daily because they assume guests don't staying enough to care. This hotel mixes things up enough to keep things interesting, but the favorites are still available.
- Lots of ammenities. Indoor pool, basketball/tennis/volleyball court, billiards table, exercise room that includes two treadmills, two stationary bikes, a stair stepper and a multi position nautilus-type weight machine.
- Happy hour / dinner 3 nights a week.
- easy access to I-64.
- BIG roomy, comfortable suites. My college apartment was smaller than this room.

Cons:
- Breakfast plates are not clean (opt for the foam plates instead of china).
- Rooms are a bit noisy. Walls are thin, but no noise from above or below. Airport noise until about 10:00pm. Road noise noticeable from I-64. Yet I slept well in spite of it all.
-Staff inconsistent. Some were super friendly and cheerful, others very abrupt and business like. Not rude, just not warm and friendly.

In summary, I can recommend this property and I will use it again soon.

• Stayed August 2012
Christi M, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Bimmermanz3:

I greatly appreciate your review of the Residence Inn Norfolk Airport. I would also have to say that our rooms are bigger than my first college apartment as well!

I have reviewed your comments with our associates and Department Heads in detail. Since your review, I have performed guest service and culture training. We need to ensure every guest on every stay receives our warm; friendly, and attentive service.

Thank you very much for your patronage and loyalty to our hotel! During your next week visit you will get to experience our refreshed service and product! We are currently undergoing a renovation in all guest rooms and public areas. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly when securing your next stay.

at your SERVICE,

Christi Moran

181 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Bealeton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Always try to stay when I'm visiting my son who is in the Navy in VA Beach. Excellent location near the highways and close enough to shopping and dozens of places to eat if you don't want to cook your food in your room!! Stayed in Rm 319 which is a 1 BR suite and the A/C worked great as did everything else. They have a wonderful indoor pool / jacuzzi too. Don't forget they have a gas grill you can use to BBQ food too.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This property was a welcome surprise. We needed a crash pad for the night in Norfolk and the Residence Inn had a great rate and decent reviews...so why not give it a shot. All around it was a good quality stay. The room was spacious, comfortable, clean and modern - no complaints. Lobby was also large and modern. MUCH more modern than many Residence Inns - would definitely recommend and stay here in the future. Property is also close to the downtown nightlife making it easy to walk to various bars, restaurants, etc. Only complaint is the parking fee $18! There are several lots for less, making it pretty easy to find a more economical option.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

After traveling for nearly 3 weeks for work it was time to take a family break. The warm reception I received by the front desk staff was refreshing after a nearly 10 hour drive. I need to name two MVP's at the front desk, Cheryl and Tara made it happen for me despite my last minute request to be on the same floor as my children (the hotel was nearly at capacity). When we did get our room in this smoke free property it was clear that the persons who had recently stayed didn't adhere to this policy. I was really annoyed to say the least. Why do people do that? I don't think the $250.00 fine is worth it. The response once again from both Cheryl and Tara was professional and customer driven. I don't believe their response was because of my Platinum status but genuine care for guest.
My family and I had a great time, and the breakfast menu had variety in the two days we stayed. The dog friendly property didn't faze us either,no barking was heard.The rooms need to be updated, with the most recent look. The beds were great and my family was happy.I must admit the airplane were somewhat annoying in the early morning, but it is the Residence Norfolk Airport.

Room Tip: You want to stay on the 5th floor, it's out of the general flow of traffic.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I am conflicted on this rating. Some things I would rate 4 or 5, others a 3. See below for details. I would have given this a 4 if it weren't for the noise factor & the issues we experienced with the elevator during our stay.

We overall had a good stay at this hotel while we were there for 4 weeks. The rooms were a good size, and we had a separate bedroom and almost full kitchen-- which was a necessity for us since our stay was so long. The kitchen area was very nice. The furnishings were average but a bit dated. If you have a pet, this is a great pet friendly hotel without a weight limit. We have a Golden Retriever, and some hotels won't accept pets over 40 lbs. The staff also gave our dog a treat when they saw him.

The hotel had dinner 2-3 nights a week downstairs, which was pretty good each night. Breakfast offered a great variety and was very good.

The down side of the hotel is the location. It is right on the airport landing strip area so airplanes were taking off and landing early morning and late into the night. We kept the fan going all the time and didn't notice the noise as much after that. There is also a train track on the other side of the parking lot. We only heard the train twice while we stayed there though.

The pool closed down for 1 1/2 weeks of renovations to resurface it. We didn't know this in advance or would have booked elswhere. So they should have a nice pool area open now. Also for about 1 1/2 weeks one of the two elevators kept going out and was out most of the entire 1 1/2 weeks. They finally got it fixed and we had no more problems the rest of our stay. One thing we did notice is that we did not hear noise in the hall much at all during our stay and never while we were in the bedroom. Noise level inside was great!

Overall, I would consider staying here again because the staff was really great. The dining staff and front desk staff were always very friendly and accommodating. Just know going in that there may be concerns about the noise. The hotel was nice overall but not the most updated Mariott we've stayed in. Perfect for pets though! (Just please clean up after them though)...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

Printer did not work, staff tried to accomodate by having us use their printer and computer and printer which was so so slow. Then, their printer kept jamming as the paper door would open. I had forms in my email that required printing and this was frustrating as I do not travel with a printer. Others were complaining as thy could not print their boarding passes.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
lmgNorfolk, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations. Our IT department is working on the issues with our business center as well as an upgrade for our Internet connection for th entire hotel. I would be more than happy to speak with you personally about your stay. We would love for you to give us another try!

Louie Marcelo-Glenn
reno
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Other than the paul mitchell new bath products, the rest of the inn needs renovation. As a platinum member staying in room 208, the initial impression of the entrance to the hallways was a smell of "old." The room had a greasy walls smell from someone having stayed in it before and really using the stove top to actually cook, yuck. The mattresses were too soft and saggy. The blue bedskirt was dirty. The room was next to the road with road noise. The furnishings and design was standard residence inn. Atleast the flat panel panasonic 2 tv's in the room worked. I had poor cell phone signal in the room, so ended up using skype from the free wifi to make calls. There is a nice free breakfast and dinner social hour included options to buy beer/wine for $2 with free food such as pulled pork sandwiches. The staff were nice. The location was not near anything but the airport, there is a walmart and target nearby.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations. I would be more than happy to speak with you personally about your stay. Our hotel is scheduled for complete renovation for fourth (4th) quarter this year. We have also started upgrading our internet service this week. We would love for you to give us another try!

Louie Marcelo-Glenn

Been to Residence Inn Norfolk Airport? Share your experiences!