“First Impressions and Family friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
3-Night Stays: Save 15%
Ranked #1 of 39 hotels in Norfolk
Boston, Massachusetts
“First Impressions and Family friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

After traveling for nearly 3 weeks for work it was time to take a family break. The warm reception I received by the front desk staff was refreshing after a nearly 10 hour drive. I need to name two MVP's at the front desk, Cheryl and Tara made it happen for me despite my last minute request to be on the same floor as my children (the hotel was nearly at capacity). When we did get our room in this smoke free property it was clear that the persons who had recently stayed didn't adhere to this policy. I was really annoyed to say the least. Why do people do that? I don't think the $250.00 fine is worth it. The response once again from both Cheryl and Tara was professional and customer driven. I don't believe their response was because of my Platinum status but genuine care for guest.
My family and I had a great time, and the breakfast menu had variety in the two days we stayed. The dog friendly property didn't faze us either,no barking was heard.The rooms need to be updated, with the most recent look. The beds were great and my family was happy.I must admit the airplane were somewhat annoying in the early morning, but it is the Residence Norfolk Airport.

Room Tip: You want to stay on the 5th floor, it's out of the general flow of traffic.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

172 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I am conflicted on this rating. Some things I would rate 4 or 5, others a 3. See below for details. I would have given this a 4 if it weren't for the noise factor & the issues we experienced with the elevator during our stay.

We overall had a good stay at this hotel while we were there for 4 weeks. The rooms were a good size, and we had a separate bedroom and almost full kitchen-- which was a necessity for us since our stay was so long. The kitchen area was very nice. The furnishings were average but a bit dated. If you have a pet, this is a great pet friendly hotel without a weight limit. We have a Golden Retriever, and some hotels won't accept pets over 40 lbs. The staff also gave our dog a treat when they saw him.

The hotel had dinner 2-3 nights a week downstairs, which was pretty good each night. Breakfast offered a great variety and was very good.

The down side of the hotel is the location. It is right on the airport landing strip area so airplanes were taking off and landing early morning and late into the night. We kept the fan going all the time and didn't notice the noise as much after that. There is also a train track on the other side of the parking lot. We only heard the train twice while we stayed there though.

The pool closed down for 1 1/2 weeks of renovations to resurface it. We didn't know this in advance or would have booked elswhere. So they should have a nice pool area open now. Also for about 1 1/2 weeks one of the two elevators kept going out and was out most of the entire 1 1/2 weeks. They finally got it fixed and we had no more problems the rest of our stay. One thing we did notice is that we did not hear noise in the hall much at all during our stay and never while we were in the bedroom. Noise level inside was great!

Overall, I would consider staying here again because the staff was really great. The dining staff and front desk staff were always very friendly and accommodating. Just know going in that there may be concerns about the noise. The hotel was nice overall but not the most updated Mariott we've stayed in. Perfect for pets though! (Just please clean up after them though)...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

Printer did not work, staff tried to accomodate by having us use their printer and computer and printer which was so so slow. Then, their printer kept jamming as the paper door would open. I had forms in my email that required printing and this was frustrating as I do not travel with a printer. Others were complaining as thy could not print their boarding passes.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
lmgNorfolk, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations. Our IT department is working on the issues with our business center as well as an upgrade for our Internet connection for th entire hotel. I would be more than happy to speak with you personally about your stay. We would love for you to give us another try!

Louie Marcelo-Glenn
reno
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Other than the paul mitchell new bath products, the rest of the inn needs renovation. As a platinum member staying in room 208, the initial impression of the entrance to the hallways was a smell of "old." The room had a greasy walls smell from someone having stayed in it before and really using the stove top to actually cook, yuck. The mattresses were too soft and saggy. The blue bedskirt was dirty. The room was next to the road with road noise. The furnishings and design was standard residence inn. Atleast the flat panel panasonic 2 tv's in the room worked. I had poor cell phone signal in the room, so ended up using skype from the free wifi to make calls. There is a nice free breakfast and dinner social hour included options to buy beer/wine for $2 with free food such as pulled pork sandwiches. The staff were nice. The location was not near anything but the airport, there is a walmart and target nearby.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations. I would be more than happy to speak with you personally about your stay. Our hotel is scheduled for complete renovation for fourth (4th) quarter this year. We have also started upgrading our internet service this week. We would love for you to give us another try!

Louie Marcelo-Glenn
Bealeton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

this is not my first stay here, it is always a pleasure. the rooms are excellent - air / heat work great and the rooms are all well stocked. the housekeeping staff is very attentive and friendly. breakfast is the same at all residence inns and coffee is available all night. My advice to you is do not stay on the fifth floor - they have very little water pressure... stayed in one room and moved only to find out that both had poor water pressure. talked to staff and it didn't change so i think they don't have any kind of pressure regulation like most hotels do that have more than four floors.

Room Tip: very close to airport but the noise didn't seem bad at all, they even have a shuttle to/from the...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
lmgNorfolk, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, April 28, 2012
Thank you for your continued business with Marriott Hotels but most especially with the Residence Inn Norfolk Airport. We do appreciate your comments and definitely want to know if we fail to meet your expectations. I apologize for the low water pressure you've experienced during your stay. I have asked my chief engineer to check our booster pump and ensure it is operating accordingly. I assure you that this is an isolated situation and we will correct immediately.

We hope that you will keep us in mind on your next visit to the Norfolk area.

At your service,

Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Stayed here recently while visiting a college. The lady at the front desk was friendly and efficient. We were comfortable. I was especially pleased with how quiet the breakfast area was in the morning. It was a relaxing way to start the day.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
We thank you for your recent review of the Residence Inn by Marriott in Norfolk Airport. The comforts of our guests is our priority and we are glad we met your expectations by delivering the "Hospitality" every guests deserves.

Please keep us in mind in your future travels to the Norfolk area and make the Residence Inn by Marriott Norfolk Airport your "Home Away From Home."

At your service,

Columbia SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We used some points for a two night stay here. The staff were very friendly. The room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was very good and the hotel seems to have a lot of nice amenities.

The only drawback is that it is an airport hotel and as such is close to the approach path of the airplanes. But the noise was not too bad and didn't keep me awake, even though I am a light sleeper.

Room Tip: Probably best to be on the side away from the airport.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
We thank you for your recent review of the Residence Inn by Marriott in Norfolk Airport. The comforts of our guests is our priority and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. Unfortunately the noise from airplanes is difficult to overcome being an airport property, however, we do provide ear plugs at the front desk to help with the noise. I hope the airport noise does not keep you from staying with us in the future.

Please keep us in mind next time you are in the Norfolk area and make the Residence Inn by Marriott Norfolk Airport your "Home Away From Home."

Louie Glenn

Been to Residence Inn Norfolk Airport? Share your experiences!