“Fabulous Museum!” 5 of 5 stars

Mahnattan48
6 attraction reviews
“Fabulous Museum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We could have spent days at this exceptional museum. We were inspired to visit by the glass exhibit and it was first class, including the required Chihuly, but also one of our personal favorites Lino Tagliapietro, and many other wonderful artists. It is always exciting to see someone from your home state represented, and there were three Rhode Island glass artists - Toots Zinsky, Howard Ben Tre and Steve Weinberg - all exceptional examples of their work.

My husband found the African art section unusual, and their was a fine photography exhibit we saw. I wish we had had more time to explore, and especially to visit the glass studio. On this trip we had babies and elders making museum outings challenging, but if we ever get back to Norfolk this will be at the top of our list.

Virginia Beach, VA
29 attraction reviews
“Outstanding Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We have been fans of the Chrysler for many years and can't say enough good things since the museum recently reopened after an 18-month renovation. Love, love, love the new galleries, the inspired staging of old favorites, and by far, the gallery hosts are something that every museum should emulate. What a joy to chat with friendly, knowledgeable folks instead of being glared at by security guards in uniforms. A must-visit for anyone coming to the Norfolk area and for those of us who live here. Outstanding, accessible, approachable, educational experience!

North Carolina
17 attraction reviews
“5 Stars for the Chrysler Museum of Art”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

From the courteous opening of the door for me at the entrance to the friendly escorting of me at the end of my visit, I have nothing but praise for this art museum. But before I visited the actual museum building, I enjoyed a glass-blowing demonstration in the Glass Studio across the street. One of the artists worked a 45-minute presentation from start to finish the making of a beautiful, functional glass pitcher.

I began my tour of the collection at the Chrysler with the world's largest glass collection--its more than 10,000 objects ranged from the functional to the whimsical and the ancient to the modern. I particularly liked the Gianni Toso's (1985) "Chess Set."

As an admirer of European and American painting, I wasn't disappointed by the quality of the selections on display. It includes many wonderful works by a range of well-known artists.

The staff were super friendly and knowledgeable, and I appreciated having them available in the galleries where they were willing to answer questions and expound on works as docents, not just guards, as is the case in many museums. This museum is a gift to visitors--especially since entry is free! Well worth the visit.

Pinehurst, North Carolina
37 attraction reviews
“Loved the glass exhibit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We visited this museum just to see the glass exhibit because I had heard good things about it. I wasn't disappointed. They have glass artwork from through the ages and across the globe. My only regret was that we missed the glassblowing demonstration.

We also explored other areas of the museum while there but our time was quite limited. While there isn't much from huge name artists, what they do have is nice and they make it easy for visitors to get around and enjoy the artwork.

The staff was also very friendly and eager to answer questions. And it's free! Not many museums are free these days, so that's a nice perk.

Overall, I recommend this for anyone who has an interest in artwork, or even architecture. The building itself is something to see.

Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
12 attraction reviews
“Excellent Museum Worthy of The Title”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

So many priceless works of art, be prepared to spend the day browsing this collection. Fantastic collection from many periods and a family activity that is FREE to the public (donations accepted). Love the tapestries and the glass collection but the many Christian examples of art spans many centuries and is worth the visit alone. Don't miss this amazing museum.

Visited May 2014