“Great Staff, Average Property” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
Batavia, Illinois
“Great Staff, Average Property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Downtown Courtyard where we stayed for 5 nights. The property lobby area has been renovated like most Courtyards by now - the rooms are a bit worn but were clean and comfortable. We had a problem with cigarette smoke coming from the floor below, but the manager did a nice job of taking care of us and moving us to different rooms. Overall, the hotel was just your average Courtyard from a property standpoint, but the staff really made the difference. The front desk employees, especially Devon, were outstanding, friendly and easy to talk to every day. Our valets were great guys and very quick to get our car and make sure we were taken care of. We really had a fun time with the cafe staff every morning who were great to talk to and made great french toast - that the majority of the family ordered every morning.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Wesley D, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments with us about your recent stay. I will be sure to share your comments with our staff members. It is great to hear that our staff members made your stay a memorable experience. I too believe that our staff is what sets us apart from our competition. Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Wesley Dove

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This was a great place to stay. Hotel is clean and the employees were exceptional. The 2 folks at the front desk shaniqua and Rhenado could not have been kinder or more helpful. Location is great for restaurants and granby st. It is also very close to the main highways. I will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your kind remarks about our hotel. Our goal is to make every guest's stay as enjoyable as possible. I will be sure to share your comments with our staff members. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Fairfield, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I wanted to like this hotel due to location and having stayed at several Courtyard brands before. It is an average hotel. Nothing spectacular other than the friendly staff. I found my room on the 6th floor to be little noisy with street and trolley sounds coming in. You have to valet park and it was not cheap. I did eat at the bistro and food was good. It is about 12-15min from airport.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Wesley D, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I appreciate the positive feedback about our friendly staff and Bistro food. I apologize for any noise issues you may have experienced with the train. We had every room near the train double paned to alleviate the train noise levels. Since the installation 3 years ago, the noise levels are minimized and we rarely have any issues whatsoever. We appreciate your business and surely want to have you stay with us in the future.

Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

The hotel room was average – pretty basic,it had a mini fridge, and had a window facing another building (not very scenic). We stayed for 4 days. The location of Downtown Norfolk is kinda crappy, it’s close to a mall and a few restaurants but there is construction going on almost every block, not very walkable. They kept closing roads down for construction work and it made it hard to get back to the hotel. We had to stop and get directions from the locals many times during our stay at the Courtyard.
The staff is ok overall but the front desk people were the worst. I realized I left my contact solution in my car and had to get it out the parking garage, the front desk lady had to find the valet (what is he doing at 12 and can’t be found?) and when I got my things from the car I tried to swipe my card back in and was locked out the hotel. I had to run around the hotel to get back in. I was pissed off because I asked the valet to walk with me but he said that he was busy parking cars to help.
When we left I would say that I’d rate this hotel a 3/5 for basic rooms and lazy front desk staff but the day we left we checked our credit card and noticed that we’d been billed twice. When we checked in initially there was a mixup in credit cards and we were charged on both cards- I thought this was reversed the day of but it was still “pending” 4 days later. We’re still need to contact the Marriott for a refund but try to avoid this location. Overall it was a bad experience staying there.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am disappointed that you did not like the hotel location. Our hotel is centrally located to all that the Downtown Norfolk area has to offer including many restaurants, events and attractions. I will investigate the issues you had with our front desk and valet staff to ensure they are rectified immediately. Thank you for your business and I trust we can earn your business in the future.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I stayed at this hotel over the weekend and had an amazing time! The hotel was decently priced and in the heart of downtown Norfolk. It is walking distance to some amazing restaurants! Rama Thai and Hobodiko (sp?) were amazing. The beach is about a 15-20 minute drive which is not too bad considering the price of the hotel.

The hotel was clean and contemporary! I loved the pool and balcony on the 6th floor. The gym was clean and well equipped.

The staff was friendly and helpful!

Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The room on the 6th floor adds for easy access to the pool :)
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay. We strive for perfection with each and every guest and we are pleased to hear that you had a pleasant experience. We appreciate your business and look forward to your next visit.

Garysburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The staff there was great. Knowledgeable and friendly. However, we were disappointed that the cost of parking was undisclosed during booking. The upkeep of the pool and terrace could have been better also. However, we did like that it was in walking distance to McArthur Center. The view was nice and we did enjoy walking around downtown.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Wesley D, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments with us regarding your recent stay. I apologize that you were not aware of the parking fees. We do disclose on all websites and reservations. I will be sure to pass along your positive comments about our staff. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Mons, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

This newer hotel is in a great location and is within walking distance of everything downtown. The room was large but the walls were kind of thin as we could easily hear everything in the room next to us. The staff was friendly; especially the valets.

Stayed July 2014
Wesley D, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank your for sharing your comments with us. We appreciate your business and are glad to hear that you had a wonderful stay. I will be sure to share your comments with our staff at our next meeting. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Wesley Dove

Been to Courtyard Norfolk Downtown? Share your experiences!