“Location and consistent for Courtyard” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
3-Night Stays: Save 15%
Ranked #6 of 39 hotels in Norfolk
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Location and consistent for Courtyard”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Another time where I wish there were 1/2 stars and would have given this hotel 3.5 stars.
The front desk service was efficient but not hospitable. never made eye contact with me while checking me in and seemed a bit angry. The linens were very fresh and the hotel was clean. There was a lack of hot water and really did not get past lukewarm for a minute or two.
This Courtyard is consisted with others I have stayed at but I am still not a huge fan of the breakfast choices and I was not aware of any other breakfast choices in the immediate area.
Hotel was very quiet. Great location to the office buildings I was traveling to. Valet parking put a nice dent on the rental car and then denied it. no big deal but the experience is a sum of the parts. Hotel lobby was very clean. I would still recommend the hotel but there are some other options in the immediate area at Marriott or Sheraton. Good location to the mall and arena.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Wesley D, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I will personally look into the desk clerk service issue and will retrain them on making eye contact! We appreciate your business and look forward to serving your future lodging needs when in Norfolk.

233 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Yorktown, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

I loved the friendliness and helpfulness of the employees it made our overall stay 10x more enjoyable! The food at the little bistro in the lobby had absolute delicious food and amazing service as well. The valet was also very helpful and courteous! Definitely will be visiting again!!!

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us! We appreciate the feedback and will be sure to share it with our staff. We look forward to serving all your future lodging needs when in Norfolk.

Midlothian, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Barbara and the entire staff at the Courtyard by Marriott Norfolk Downtown couldn't have been more wonderful! We had a large group of dancers and their families in Norfolk for a dance competition. Barbara offered and provided us with our own Breakfast Buffet each morning and each evening we were offered a large meeting room where we were able to come together with our group to review the day. We will be back in Norfolk again and this is the only place we will stay!

Stayed February 2014
Thank you for sharing your positive comments about your recent stay. I will be sure to pass them along to our staff. We look forward to serving all your future lodging needs while in Norfolk.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

The staff was excellent. They knew I had a hectic day and called to remind me that my late check-out time was approaching. They were happy to work with my schedule. Special thanks to Erica and Charleen!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your comments with us! I will be sure to pass them along to our staff! We look forward to serving all your future lodging needs!

Dunnsville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

We searched for a reasonably priced hotel near Chrysler Hall and MacArthur Mall and found the Courtyard Norfolk Waterside. We would highly recommend it! Very nice front desk help; large, comfortable, and spotless room. And it was very reasonably priced. We will stay there again and recommend you do too!

• Stayed January 2014
Wesley D, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and will be sure to share your comments with our staff! We focus on providing exceptional product and service to our guests. Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving all your future lodging needs while in the Norfolk area.

Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I wanted to like this hotel. The location is close to the Norva where my husband and I see concerts from time to time. The walk to and from the venue is managable and feels safe, even at late hours.

On the positive side, the location is great in relation to the Norva and the mall is right behind the hotel for food and shopping. The staff was friendly and responsive to our needs and the valet parking is a great bonus. I also thought the price was very reasonable. The room and hotel were both clean and comfortable.

On the negative side, there is no in room safe and very few safe boxes at the desk. I usually travel with my work laptop and need to lock it up when out of the room. I wasn't able to do that at this hotel because the few safe boxes that would fit the laptop were all taken. That is a deal breaker for me for business travel. I'll be more selective about what I bring if I visit this hotel again.The bistro food is very limited but I don't consider that a big issue with other food venues so close.

Finally, the hair dryer actually sparked when I used it and caused the room to smell like smoke. I called the front desk and they brought up a new dryer within 10 minutes and were very friendly and apologetic. I thought the staff was very responsive considering the late hour I had the problem.

I will probably stay again because the price and location outweigh the negative aspects for this type of trip.

Room Tip: There are some meeting rooms on the second floor so keep that in mind if you want to sleep late.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Wesley D, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I appreciate the feedback you have provided. I would like to personally apologize for the issue with the hair dryer and will immediately investigate this issue. I am glad to hear that our staff was responsive and friendly during your stay. Our goal is to be prepared when things like this happen and to quickly respond and resolve issues that may arise from time to time. I will be sure to share your experience with our staff members.

Chalfont, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

This Courtyard hotel is an average member of the chain. Although it was a nice, quiet hotel, there was not any one thing that I could say really stood out a good or great. Would I stay here again, yes, but it would not be my number one choice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Wesley D, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback. Our goal is to provide exceptional service and product to all our guests. I will share your comments with our staff at our next associate meeting.

Wesley Dove

Been to Courtyard Norfolk Downtown? Share your experiences!