“Nickel and dimed my stay.” 3 of 5 stars

Courtyard Norfolk Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   520 Plume Street, Norfolk, VA 23510   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 39 hotels in Norfolk
“Nickel and dimed my stay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I've stayed with Marriott many times and enjoyed every stay; my recent stay in Norfolk VA Courtyard Marriott was disappointing. Guest has to play for their breakfast, parking and there was no microwave in the rooms. Why make a guest pay to park?Why make a guest pay for breakfast? Very disappointing. I was in Norfolk on business; Courtyard was recommended because it was close to my training site. My stay was disappointing!!

• Stayed August 2013
Wesley D, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay here with us at the Courtyard Downtown Norfolk. I am sorry that you felt disappointed in the miscellaneous charges during your stay. In regards to breakfast, the Courtyard brand offers the Bistro package which allows us to offer a wider variety of items to our customers during their stay. Although this is not free, we also offer Starbucks coffee, dinner and a bar option which most other brands cannot offer to their customers. We believe our product, quality and service to be superior to other brands and that is why we cannot afford to not charge for these items. For future bookings, please note that we do offer packages that include free breakfast at a slightly higher rate. In regards to parking, our location is in the heart of downtown Norfolk where parking is at a premium. There is available free parking on the street after 6pm nearby our hotel. If you choose to select our valet parking option, please know that our parking fees are well below that of our surrounding competitors and we offer valet staffing on duty 24/7. I would encourage you to research parking in our area and I think you will see that this is a fair value and service to our customers. I appreciate you sharing your comments and we certainly do appreciate your business.

234 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

If we need to stay in Norfolk again we WILL bring our own towels. We've been in numerous Marriott properties and always had better towels. Yours could be used in place of emery cloth. The requested feather pillows were made from the feathers of underweight ducks. Your valet parking was not up to standard. The valets were slow and did not keep the cars moving in the driveway. There were bottlenecks at many times. On Thursday 8/1 we expected to receive our requested wake up call at 5:30 AM. Luckily one of us was up to awaken the other. The call NEVER came. We were in Norfolk on business.

Sorry to be so negative but we are reporting our experience. We did get smiles from everyone even if they could not adequately perform their assigned tasks.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Wesley D, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay here with us. I would like to personally apologize for the problems you encountered during your stay. I am personally investigating the issues and will make sure they are resolved quickly. All of our linens, including towels and pillows, are purchased only from Marriott approved vendors and we do not deviate from the Marriott approved linen product line. Despite having adequate staffing on hand for valet, we did experience some heavy demand for a couple small windows of time. We pulled additional staffing immediately to help relieve the backup. We are reviewing the wake up call situation to try and determine if it was human error or a technical issue. We take your comments very seriously and I personally am committed to resolving these issues for you and our future guests. I can be reached at 757-963-6000 ext 6003 if you would like to discuss further.

University Park, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

My boys and I planned a four day/three night vacation to Virginia Beach. I was tasked with choosing the hotel and after missing out on a few prime spots that were right on the beach, I landed on the Courtyard Marriott (about 15 mins drive). I'm a big fan of the Marriott chain so I had good expectations for the Courtyard in Norfolk. I can absolutely say that the Courtyard Marriott in Norfolk lived up to those expectations.

The beds were very clean and comfortable. The water pressure in the bathroom was satisfactory. However, the hot water was little too hot at times and I almost scalded myself but that was minor downside because it only took 20 seconds to learn where the "sweet" spot was for hot/cold temperature ratio. The A/C system in the room worked wonderfully and wasn't noisy at all. The walls were a little thin so you could hear the bathroom toilet flushing in the next room but conversations were muffled and inaudible at most.

The majority of the staff was very pleasant and accommodating, especially the receptionists and the valets. I can't say the same for the cleaning staff and the breakfast staff. The two interactions my friends and I had with the hotel maids, left me wondering "what was the need for such a negative attitude?". The one time that we went to breakfast made us realize it was going to be our only time we would go to breakfast. There was a very large family reunion going on in the hotel during our stay and during breakfast it was very apparent that the breakfast crew was ill-prepared and ill-equipped to handle such a large number of guests. We were probably the last individuals to order breakfast and we all ordered breakfast sandwiches (very simple orders) but it took over an hour for us to get those orders. It also took a long time for some of the other guests to get their orders and they definitely voiced their dissatisfaction with the service. Their complaints were met with defensiveness and a lot of attitude from a couple of the breakfast staff, though I will say that the crew manager was a very pleasant and accommodating individual. I just wished his personality had rubbed off on his subordinates.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at the Courtyard Marriott in Norfolk.

Room Tip: If you're here to spend time at the beach then do valet parking. It's safer and a better bar...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Wesley D, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I would like to personally apologize for the long wait in the restaurant for breakfast. We were aware of the family reunion coming for breakfast and were staffed properly, however the group was instructed to come down in 1 hour intervals but unfortunately the group all showed up at one time leaving us overwhelmed. We did the best we could in a bad situation however I understand your frustration. The next morning the group was moved to our banquet room for breakfast which alleviated the issue the next morning. Thank you for your patronage and I trust you will stay with us again in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

This was probably my best stay ever at a hotel. The entire staff that I encountered were wonderful. The hotel was very clean. When we needed anything, the staff took care of it without any hesitation. The pool was absolutely refreshing with the music and lounging area. I loved the roof top patio.

• Stayed July 2013
Wesley D, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for the kind words. We appreciate your feedback. I will be sure to share your comments with our staff members.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

I loved the hotel and what was even better was that it was very close to the mall. I really enjoyed my stay and the front desk staff was very pleasant.
They have a small exercise room that's not too far from the hotel terrace and an indoor pool and hot tub.
There were numerous restaurants in the area.

Just so happen during my stay It was Restaurant Week. The staff at the front desk recommended Kinkaids which was located right in the mall across the street and it was
delicious. My stay was Great!!

• Stayed July 2013
Wesley D, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. Our goal is to ensure that every guest has a pleasant and relaxing experience at our hotel. I will be sure to share your comments with our staff at our next meeting. Thank you for your business and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My overall stay was average, but turned into excellent. The toilet would not flush in our room and we had to go downstairs to the lobby to use the restroom. The hotel was booked and no other rooms were available until the next day. The staff had to order a part to correct the problem; however everyone involved to correct this situation from maintenance, front desk, valet, bellman and housekeeping provided excellent customer service. I will stay at this property again when in Virginia. Kudos to the Courtyard Marriott Downtown Norfolk!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay here with us at the Courtyard Downtown Norfolk. I will be sure to share your comments with our staff members at our next meeting. Thank you for your patronage and we look forward to serving your future lodging needs.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Very straight foward, efficient hotel. Just a bit surprised that the only staff on the premises was the front desk and valet persons. Very helpful person (Robert) in charge at the front desk. I thought they could have had a person helping you to your room with the luggage.

• Stayed July 2013
Wesley D, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for sharing your positive comments about your recent stay here with us at the Courtyard Downtown Norfolk! We do not have bellman at this hotel but normally try and schedule additional staffing during peak timeframes to help guests with their luggage, etc. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving your future lodging needs.

Wesley Dove

Been to Courtyard Norfolk Downtown? Share your experiences!