“I would definitely stay there again.” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
“I would definitely stay there again.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My overall stay was excellent i would definitely refer my family n friends to stay at the Courtyard Marriott Downtown Norfolk va 520 Plume St. They whole staff was so nice to i couldn't of stay at a better hotel thanks everyone for ur excellent service. Sindella Colunio.

• Stayed July 2013
Wesley D, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay here with us! We pride ourselves in ensuring that every guest has a pleasant and comfortable experience. We look forward to serving all your future lodging needs.

Wesley Dove

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Williamsburg, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We decided to stay overnight in Norfolk on a Saturday so we could enjoy the Bayou Boogaloo music and food again on Sunday at Waterside Park. We booked a room at the Courtyard Marriott because the other two hotels where we had stayed in the past were already full. We were very happy with the Courtyard hotel, and will definitely stay there next time we spend the night in Norfolk. It was a bit tricky to find (our GPS must need an update, it told us to turn the wrong way on one-way streets) and we drove past Plume Street the first time, but easily made a U-turn and found our way to the hotel. All staff were efficient and friendly at the front desk and valet parking. Room was very quiet, clean, and comfortable. Nice to have a refrigerator! Bath was roomy and there was plenty of closet space. I didn't give it an "excellent" rating because the cafe has such a limited menu and the prices were too high. However, we walked a couple of blocks over to the Jewish Mother Backstage and had a great breakfast with Bloody Marys on Sunday morning. Plenty of excellent restaurants up and down Granby Street within easy walking distance. Hotel is within easy and safe walking distance of Waterside Park, the Scope and the National (sports and music venues). It's also right next door to the MacArthur mall with excellent shopping. There is also a big indoor pool and hot tub but we didn't have time to enjoy these amenities.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Wesley D, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your comments with us. It is our goal to satisfy each and every guest. I regret that the price points in the Bistro kept you from eating with us. Our desire is to offer quality menu items at a reasonable price and easy accessibility. Thank you for your comments and we look forward to serving all your future lodging needs.

Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Picked a great spot to start our vacation! We decided to get into our beach vacation mode early this year by stopping in Norfolk two days early. Court yard Marriott was a great pick! Service, cleanliness and location was perfect. Several things very close to do as well if interested. USS Wisconsin is close, Maritime Center as well. You can even catch a baseball game at Harbor Park and see the Norfolk Tides AA team play. Highly recommend this stop if you are looking for a great hotel!

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your kind words about your recent stay here with us at the Courtyard Downtown Norfolk. Our goal is to make each and every stay a memorable one! We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We traveled to Norfolk to visit a critically ill friend. After a seven hour overnight drive, we were exhausted and needed a place to crash. The first hotel we checked was too expensive. After explaining our situation, the front desk manager referred us to Courtyard. I couldn't have asked for a nicer hotel! We travel frequently and by far, this was the friendliest staff we have ever met! Everyone from the front desk, to the valets, to housekeeping were so hospitable. We were constantly greeted with smiles and every need was met quickly and cheerfully. We were even given a discounted rate!

If we ever have to travel to Norfolk again (hopefully under better circumstances), we will definitely choose Courtyard!

Amy
Linden, PA

• Stayed June 2013
Wesley D, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for sharing your positive comments with us about your recent stay at the Courtyard Downtown Norfolk. Our goal is to ensure 100% customer satisfaction to every guest. I am proud of our staff and will share your comments with them at our next staff meeting. We look forward to serving your future lodging needs.

Lexington, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

The hotel was great- clean, comfortable, and friendly. The crappy Starbucks in the lobby is a different story all together. Expect lackluster, surly employees to serve you undrinkable coffee and charge you $6 for oatmeal becuase they know you don't have any other choice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments. Our goal is to ensure every guest is 100% satisfied. I would like to personally apologize for the issues in the restaurant. I will be sure to share your comments with our staff at our next staff meeting and use them to better train our associates.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

After previously having a problem with this hotel about a year ago with the excessive renovation noise and poor customer serive, I decided to give this Marriott a second chance. I have stayed in as many as 30 different Marriotts across the country and this hotel is the only one I can say I do not want to come back to again. However, the rooms are very clean and modern, the location is great, and the lobby is very nice and it is a great value hotel. I experienced several frustrations on this visit that, combined with my original complaints a year ago, make me want to not stay there again.

First, the only parking available is valet which at $19/night. One night I took a walk downtown to get dinner and found my car sitting in front of the hotel with the driver's window down and key in the ignition. Apparantly someone had called down for their car and said my room number (without giving a ticket number). I had some valuables in the car, which were all fine, but I didn't enjoy seeing my car there without my knowledge or authorization. Because it looked rather suspicious, I spent some time looking through my valuables in the car to account for them.

Second, I checked out of the hotel a day early and got a receipt. The next day I received an email with another receipt showing that I had been charged for an extra night. It turns out the receipt from check-out was for someone other than me. When I called and explained, the hotel credited me for the last night, but it took two more calls to the hotel to get a copy of the receipt of the credit. Since this was business travel, this caused a problem for me to get reimbursed the correct amount, and I had to explain in detail what happened. In addition, the wrong receipt I was given had the full name, home address, phone number and company of the other person. This person has no idea that I was given a lot of his personally identifiable information.

Sure, nothing that happened was terrible or unexcusable, as mistakes happen. I just wanted to share my experiences for others planning a trip to Norfolk to read. I'm sure many people have great stays at this hotel, but it has caused me enough aggrivation from this time and the previous trip for me to choose from a number of other hotels in the Norfolk area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay here with us at the Courtyard Downtown Norfolk. I have investigated your incident and it does appear that another guest called down and stated the wrong room number which is why your car was brought down. We would not have allowed anyone to take your car without the proper valet tag. It does seem to be an honest mistake made by another guest. I am truly sorry for the mistake and would like to discuss this with you further at your convenience. It is our goal here to ensure that every guest is 100% satisfied and we will use this incident as a training tool for our staff members.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Very nice hotel, sweetly greeted as we walked in, the valet was accommodating to allow us to temporarily park while we got stuff unpacked. The hotel is nice and new feeling, and very good value for what you get. We stayed only very quickly but the room and bathroom were very nice. Too bad the view isn't a little better.

In the morning checkout was no problem. The starbuck's express in the hotel leaves a little to be desired, but best bet is to go walking and find a more unique place for a meal.

Thanks

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Wesley D, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you for your positive comments about your recent stay here with us at the Courtyard Downtown Norfolk. We appreciate the feedback so that we can use it for training our associates on how to better serve our guests. We are currently updating our Starbucks menu to give our customers more options. Thank you for your business and we look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Wesley Dove

Been to Courtyard Norfolk Downtown? Share your experiences!