“Relaxing getaway with wonderful customer service!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
“Relaxing getaway with wonderful customer service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012 via mobile

My fiance and I stayed two nights at the Courtyard Norfolk Downtown. Upon arrival,we were greeted by a very energetic valet/bellman who helped us with our baggage and gave us directions on how to walk to the nearby mall. We were then greeted very nicely by a young lady behind the desk and swiftly checked into our room.
My fiance and I had a very nice clean room. The stay couldn't have been more relaxing and carefree. When we called down the day of our departure we called and the manager allowed us to extend our stay at the same rate with no questions. AWESOME! We will definitely stay again!

• Stayed September 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I'm discovering that Marriott's Courtyard chain is inconsistent. One hotel might be quite comfortable and attractive, even European in style and standards, and another might be a glorified motel. Unfortunately the Courtyard Norfolk Downtown falls into the latter category, although it has great potential. First, its location cannot be better as for convenience to wonderful walks and neighborhoods in the city. The area is strikingly beautiful for an urban space, with a state-of-the-art tramway running right by the entrance, reminding me of Zurich and Montpellier. The streets are also Swiss clean. I felt that I was no longer in the United States, let alone the East Coast. Perhaps the many international travelers passing through the naval bases realized from their experiences that they wanted a higher standard than the old school Detroit culture. But back to the hotel. The place needs renovation. Not the lobby, which is pleasantly spacious and colorful and bright, but the rooms. It's all about the rooms. I rejected 3 rooms: the first was a corner room and had large windows overlooking a noisy highway and large parking lot; the second had that old, unclean smell you find when mattresses get too old and people haven't changed their sheets - it was like a rundown YMCA in there; the third was alright but the view out of the window was of an electrical transformer substation just below, which was fine if I was the bride of Frankenstein. The fourth room had a bit of that YMCA smell but not too much. Unfortunately I still did not rest well in that room for one reason: the AC system had an infernal grinding, churning, industrial sound that ran all night. I woke up each of three mornings feeling like I had been doing work.

Note also that there is no room service - another motel-like quality which is standard for Courtyards. In the lobby there is a "bistro" that serves sandwiches and drinks at certain hours, otherwise you are out of luck and must explore the neighborhoods. Watch out for another infernally loud mixer in the bistro; while typing at the computer in the lobby I had to look over there to make sure there wasn't some kind of emergency. There are some very good restaurants nearby, but you'll need to use your smart phone to find them (I use the gps function on urbanspoon.com).

You'll also find that the elevator interiors look like they need upgrading. It's strange to have a grand lobby, and then elevators that look one-star grungy.

The Courtyard Norfolk Downtown staff were exceedingly pleasant, and their hotel definitely had some positives, but I want to find a place that will give me a restful sleep in a clean, attractive room. I'll miss this location, but I will work hard to find another hotel in the Norfolk area.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review! This is a fantastic opportunity to boast our renovation that coincidently started today! The rooms are being completely redone with new beds, bedding, wallpaper and carpeting. Also, the hallways and elevator landings are being done too. Those items combined with the great location and excellent staff that you mentioned will continue to make the Courtyard the best place to stay in Norfolk. We look forward to having you back after the renovation is complete.

Tony Parrow
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

The lobby is very sleek and modern and the rooms are clean and comfortable, but our room was missing things. There was no shampoo and the hair drier didn't work. When we called the lobby for shampoo and a drier they were very kind, but it took about 45 minutes before they made it up to the room. Overall, it was a nice hotel, but didn't wow me.

Room Tip: As for a room on the top floor. It is quiet and the views aren't bad.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, January 27, 2012
Thank you for the kind review! We love the lobby renovation and are very excited about the rooms that are being done right now to match! Thank you for the feedback on the shampoo and hairdryer. That is very helpful and I will discuss this with my team to prevent it from happening to future guests. I am glad that you found the hotel to be nice!

Tony Parrow
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012 via mobile

Courtyard by Marriott properties are usually well maintained - this was no exception. Nice room, above average breakfast service (which you have to pay for), friendly staff, and just a short walk to a wide variety of restaurants on Granby Street makes this Courtyard one I will come back to!

• Stayed October 2011
New York , NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

Highly recommended. Went down for a sports weekend. A short walk to the Scope for a couple of Admirals hockey games. The Mc Arthur center mall is located across the street with plenty of shopping and dining options. The hotel itself looked as if it opened yesterday. Bright, neat, clean and very friendly employees. The price was reasonable as well. My new go to place in Norfolk.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Virginia Beach VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

My husband and I attended an event at this hotel over the holidays. We decided to spend the evening, using my hotel reward points. There was no problem getting the reservation, and I was excited to be able to use my many points. The hotel is convenient to the MacArthur Center mall (within walking distance), and the new Tide trolley system that will take you around the city.

Our room was comfortable, seemed updated and clean. The usual Courtyard room decor, but comfortable and spacious. The lobby as well, although we did not use any of the food service there, but was upscaled and inviting.

My only issue (if there is one) is that I was charged a daily rate for parking. This was not told to me at the time of making the reservation. It was not an huge issue, however, I would have liked to be aware of it prior to making my plans. Norfolk/Virginia Beach hotels usually offer free parking, and I was just caught unaware.

I would recommend this hotel. A good value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the Tide trolley. Especially if you want quiet.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

My friends and I stayed at the Courtyard this weekend and it was Outstanding! The hotel looks beautiful and the staff was excellent. I found everyone who works there is the epitome of what hospitable means…welcoming, warm, articulate, helpful and friendly. The Bistro was very good and the cappucinno was delicious. My friends and I are looking forward to staying there again this summer.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of the hotel have a nice view of MacArthur Mall and some historic churches.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Courtyard Norfolk Downtown? Share your experiences!