“Great Place to Stay in Downtown Norfolk” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
Richmond, Virginia
“Great Place to Stay in Downtown Norfolk”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

Been staying here for the past 3 years off and on for business. Great place to stay. Very convenient for downtown; it is literally right next to McArthur Mall. The rooms are clean, and the staff is friendly. The lobby is newly renovated and the Bistro serves good food quick. Lots of amenities including free wifi and fitness center.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

I can't say enough good things about our stay. The staff did a great job from the time we checked in (found me a lower rate, provided my a bottle opener that I forgot to bring).

The room was roomy and fresh. Great TV and bed. Bathroom had lots of space and great water pressure.

Internet was free.

Location can't be beat - all restaurants and shopping and business within .75 miles.

ONE WORD OF CAUTION: If you are noise sensitive, get an even number room. The trolley goes through town from 530am until 11pm (even on Saturday).

Parking is $18 a night and I always have a problem paying for parking.

Room Tip: Get an even number room - much quieter.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

We chose this hotel for our one night stay in Norfolk while on vacation, due to the combination of a good rate for a super downtown location, and reviews on this website.

The lobby area was inviting and appeared to have been freshly renovated. We received a warm welcome and all of the staff were very friendly and hospitable for the duration of our stay.

However we experienced several maintenance problems and cleanliness issues with our room which were disappointing in light of the glowing reviews posted. The day after departing, I received an e-mail from the general manager, which seems to be a standard follow up with all guests, enquiring how our stay was. So I took the time and opportunity to write to him about our experience. Less than 20 mins later I received a reply with an apology and a very generous offer of compensation from Tony, the GM. Now that's what I call customer service!

Despite the room deficiencies, this is obviously a hotel that is striving to provide a quality overall experience, and with such focus on providing exceptional service, they are sure to succeed.

Also, we valet parked our vehicle overnight, and they had no problem allowing us to leave it there for the rest of the following day, at no further expense, while we visited this interesting city.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Haymarket, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

From arrival to departure the staff was outstanding. Valet, front desk staff, and bistro staff exceeded my expectaions. Room was clean and I love the shower. Looking forward to staying there again on my next trip to Norfolk.

Room Tip: If possible try and get a room facing east or north to view the city skyline
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Whitewater
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

The lobby appears to have been recently refurbished, and was both stylish and comfortable. Rooms are due for a makeover. However, the reason that I would gladly stay here again was the wonderful service by the front desk staff--Annelise, Kayle, and others--who went out of their way to make our stay a good one.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

For the most part, I enjoyed my stay here. All of the staffers I talked to were very helpful and nice.

I did, however, have a friend who stayed in another room during this visit and was awaken early in the morning by the loud bells from the light rail system, which is very close to the hotel. I, however, did not hear it. I did receive an email from the manager after my stay apologizing if I heard the bells and assured that he's been told that those bells will decrease in frequency as the people and the city get used to the system. If you're a light sleeper, I would suggest that you request a room as far away from the light rail system as possible.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

I travel often and wish every hotel that I stayed at was like this one. I recently stayed at the Courtyard Norfolk Downtown on business and was so impressed with the service that I returned to the area and stayed this week with my family. The staff did not disappoint. The front desk and valet went out their way to direct us to some great local restaurants and entertainment that we would not have found otherwise. They printed out directions for us and recommended what times to go to avoid traffic. Our room was very clean upon arrival and the housekeeping staff took the time to talk to my 4 year-old which thrilled her and one housekeeper even remembered her name the next day. We ate breakfast each day at the restaurant and were pleased with the prompt and friendly service. The valet was also very efficient with getting our vehicle for us and we never had long to wait. I don't normally post reviews but when a business is doing all the right things, somebody should say something and get the word out.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard Norfolk Downtown? Share your experiences!