“905 Cafe & Grill” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast
Belford NJ
“905 Cafe & Grill”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The 905 is a few blocks from my son's home. He often walks there for lunch since he works from home. We have eaten at the 905 twice and were pleased with the meals each time. I recently had the Pulled Pork sandwich and it was seasoned just right (not too spicy). The 905 has a casual beach feel and is very local and friendly. I would eat here again.

Visited June 2013

“Great breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

We saw great reviews on yelp and were looking for someplace different for breakfast. We have our same ole favorites but sometimes you just need a change. Well what a nice surprise in this small restaurant. It's greek as far as dinner which we will be back to try but the breakfast has a nice selection and was clean (not greasy) and fresh. I had the Greek omelet and added green bell peppers. It just hit the spot not to mention the wonderful Bloody Mary. Great service, family owned, give it a go! You won't be sorry!

Visited July 2013
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Been here many times and the food, service and menu creativity are all outstanding. Owners are local and strive to create a nice, quality place here in ocean view area of Norfolk, despite the "odd" crowd in the local area.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Norfolk, Virginia
“Turn for the worse”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I’ve been coming to 905 Grill since the restaurant opened 2 years ago. My husband and I were very excited to find a new breakfast spot in the Ocean View area. After a slightly rocky start, the restaurant appeared to find its stride, but over the past few moments it has lately taken a turn for the worse.
We used to walk in and the cheerful servers would say “sit where you like.” On our last visit, the waitress was nowhere to be seen, so we sat ourselves- no biggie. She eventually came out and took our drink order then disappeared. She came out later with a hand-written sign that she taped to the door saying “Wait to be seated”. She obviously did that because of us, and it just seemed rude… not to mention the sign looked ridiculous and unprofessional.
Another change… or I guess I should say, lack of change, would be the daily specials. We used to look forward to what would be on special—their banana bread French toast was amazing! Well, the last three weekends we’ve been in, they’ve had the same exact special: shrimp & grits. Specials are called specials because they are “special” and served on occasion. I ordered it the first time it was on the board and was very disappointed. Small shrimp, watery grits and not much flavor. Every time we went back after that I would tell my husband, “man, I hope there’s something new on the special board,” but no, it was the same exact dish—but it did have a higher price tag!
While I realize restaurants, especially local ones, do have to raise their prices from time to time to stay afloat, the recent “up-sells” and “up-charges” have also put a bad taste in my mouth. I used to be able to go in and say exactly what I wanted without someone trying to up-sell me on the platter, fresh fruit, milk or orange juice. If I wanted those things, I would have asked for them.
Because the special hasn’t changed in weeks, I’ve recently gone back to some of my favorite standbys: French toast and breakfast burritos. I’m not a big fan of syrup, so I’ve always asked for whipped cream as a topping. On our last visit the waitress informed me that would be an extra charge of $1. For 2 years I’ve been ordering that whipped cream without an up-charge. When I mentioned that to the waitress she informed me that she was a part-owner and that was the rule, despite what servers had been doing for several years. She basically called the previous servers lazy and irresponsible. That reminded me of my previous visit where I was up-charged a $1 for sour cream on my breakfast burrito… something else that had never happened before. At least she bothered to tell me about the up-charge this time, she didn’t when I ordered the sour cream- it just showed up on the bill.
I realize this review might make me sound like a picky person, but I don’t take bad reviews lightly. I don’t write them often because I believe in small businesses and want to support them, but my recent experiences here have pushed me over the edge. I hope it gets the attention of management and they do something about the “part-owner” who has now encouraged me to find a new place for breakfast—and to stop telling others about what a great place it is.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Yorktown, Virginia
“Hidden Treasure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This unique little restaurant is a must to try! Great food and friendly service, this place is a small Greek family establishment within walking distance of a beautiful view of the bay. We ordered our food and it was brought to us within 15 minutes - fresh, hot, beautifully presented! Our waitress is the daughter of the owner and was very helpful with menu consisting of everything from sandwiches and salads to classic Greek dishes. We opted for grilled tuna over a bed of fresh sauteed spinach and rice with olives, fresh tomatoes and a light greek seasoning and lemon. It was wonderful! We followed it with a freshly baked Baklava with ice cream that was delicious! Look this place up and check it out, you will not be disappointed!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere