“Not bad, not amazing either” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Norfolk Airport

You added Holiday Inn Norfolk Airport to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Norfolk Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1570 North Military Highway, Norfolk, VA 23502 (Formerly Holiday Inn Select)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #11 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not bad, not amazing either”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

We spent a few nights here for training. My wife and I both liked it, but there were some minor things that annoyed us. Check-in went fine. We were even able to call on our way down and get our reservation started a day early. The lobby is pretty nice, and has a lot of chairs and tables to sit at. The girl at the desk was friendly and fast.
Our room was clean, and the bed was comfortable. One window was broken, and would not stay open. The lamp on the bedside table was broken, but we ignored it and used the other two. The room was well furnished, and had a microwave and fridge. My wife was annoyed by the jet noise, but I slept through it. The airport stopped for the night around 10, but they apparently had some flights leaving as early as 6 AM. The one other annoying thing was the free internet. If you want free wireless, you have to go down to the lobby. We used the free high-speed network cable on our desk, but the last night it was not working, and kept directing you to a pay site.
The bathroom was large and clean, and you get some decent soap/shampoo. The shower curtain rod was loose, and had to be straightened before you took a shower if you did not want a huge puddle on the floor.
We both loved the pool. Both nights we went, no-one was using it, despite the fact that they were pretty full. The pool is a pretty decent size, and there's also a jacuzzi. We did go to the bar one night, and the bartender only came out of the storeroom right as we were giving up after waiting about 10 minutes. She was friendly, and the drinks were generous. The restaurant has an okay buffet in the mornings. The lady running it is very sweet, and some of the food is good. I thought the grits tasted odd, and the eggs were your standard institutional fare.
All in all, for $95/night (the government rate), it could have been better.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
LTDManagement, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, October 27, 2009
I appreciate your taking the time to advise us of your issues while at the Holiday Inn Select, which is the first step towards improving our services.
The Holiday Inn Select is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality of service and facilities. We sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance. We would like the opportunity to welcome you back in an effort to provide you the level of service you expect from the Holiday Inn Hotels.
Your willingness to share your experience is genuinely appreciated. At your service Joe Hemerka General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
louisville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

we had used our reward points, first of all $800.00 was taken out of our debit for 2 days, was later fixed. next our second room was not ready upon check in at 400pm. 1 day our son's room was not serviced, luckily he had extra towels. the day before checkout, the beds were stripped in our sons room for no reason, it took 2 calls to desk to have them made up-unfortunately it was done while we were away. when we came back the housekeeper had thrown away all of his personal care items-no manager was available, all the desk personell would say was "sorry" and gave him some toothpaste and brush. the final insult was to arrive home and find we had been charged for unkonwn items out of our debit for $20.00 and $112.00!. another call to the hotel reslted in "no manager available" BE WARY

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

Checking in the hotel was quick, maybe cause I was wearing my Trip Advisor Hat!
First entering the room gave us no problems, the room was clean and I felt comfortable walking on the carpet without shoes. We started hearing loud wind squealing through the window, we called maintenance which were pretty quick. He had to come back a second time to get a screwdriver to close the window, and he even said that the window was broken. But he did fix it. Also how unprofessional, his cell phone kept going off with a rap song while servicing our room! The vending machine took my dollar while I was deciding what to buy. I had to walk to the front desk did give me back my money. Loud planes were heard all hours of the night. I specifically asked the front desk, can you hear planes from your hotel when I was booking the reservation and I was told no. So if you want a good nights sleep I would go somewhere else. There were only two wash clothes in the room. We called the front desk for more, instead that bought us up 3 towels, when I clearly said wash clothes. We ran out of toilet paper and I had to call the front desk four times to ask where it was! On the fourth called, I said the workers name, and clearly asked how long is it going to before we get toilet. We are all out! He said 5 minutes and what a surprise it was up to us in 3 minutes. Our hotel key wasn't working, it wouldn't let us in the business center, and wouldn't let us in the room. I had to take the key to the front desk 3 times to get different it to work! I was very upset I had to keep walking up and down. The hallways were so hot! Next time I travel to Norfolk I will be staying somewhere else. This hotel needs more staff, and needs to redo how everything operates. Also the guest here have no respect please teach your kids how to behave in a public place!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

My wife, Children and I arrived to the hotel around 3 pm. The lady at the front desk was busy counting her drawer and the other lady was standing besides her waiting for something. She did not even look at me to say anything. I understood that they are probably changing shift. Finally, after I asked if it is OK to check I, the other girl pointed at me with her finger to wait.
I could not believe that. I almost said something but I am on vacation and I was not to let anyone disappoint me.
Finally, she checked me in and gave the keys and said you are on the third floor and that was it.
We went to floor, checked to the room. It was not clean yet. I asked housekeeping if we should wait or change the room. She said to get a new room. I went to the front desk and told them, they said to wait until the room. I said how long, she said “Why didn’t you ask the housekeeping?” with an attitude in her voice.
I asked to see the manager, I was told she had to leave the property and she will contact me when she gets back. No one did.
I waited for 30 minutes and no one told me the room was ready, I went to the room, was not finished yet.
Went to the front desk, checked out and went to the Hilton across the street. Never ever go back to this hotel again.
I just wish to have taken the front desk employee’s name, but I did not.
By the way, I am a university professor and have a Doctorate degree in the Artificial Intelligence field.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
HolidayInnSelect, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, July 29, 2009
Thank you for your honest and frank feedback regarding your recent experience with our hotel staff. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We appreciated any and all comments, as they serve to help us continually improve our service and quality.
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times. I am a platinum priority club member and I stay at hotels all over the country. The hotel location was close to the Navy. The rooms ordinary. The service at the Front desk, he WORST I have ever seen even in a cheap motel you see on TV. The restaurant staff made up for the front desk staff.
The Lobby was beautiful and clean.
Housekeeping.. cut lots of corners but changing sheets unless I had to request them to do so. The floor was not vacuumed 2 days until I asked them to do so. Bathtub was only rinsed and not cleaned.
I decided to stay at the hotel next to them for all my travel. They really had several times to keep my and my company business, but they did not even bothered to do so. I guess it is part of their guest treatment.

Also NO Wireless internet except in the lobby. I tried to connect using the cable, not working. I had to keep going to the lobby when I needed to work on my proposals.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with the Holiday Inn Select – Norfolk Airport.

Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

We are always striving to improve our product and our service, and customer feedback is the most important part of this process. The Holiday Inn Select is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. We sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance. Rest assured that we have taken the appropriate steps to ensure that the issues you mentioned will not happen in the future.

We appreciate your choosing to stay with us as you are a valued customer, and we hope you continue to stay with the Holiday Inn brand in the future. Again, I want to personally apologize for any inconvenience you experienced.
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

First, let me say that the lobby is quite attractive and well decorated. Unfortunately, that's where the decor ends.
I was a bit disappointed to see that my room was done in "post-modern 70s" style, complete with green carpet, green comforter and a green chair/foot rest that I can only be found at the Salvation Army.
The room does, however, do "the job." Almost everything was clean (a strangers pubic hairs in the bath tub prevents me from saying "everything" was clean), it's 2-1/2 miles from Norfolk Intl. Airport and it's not too overpriced.
I slept fine, but as I come to the Norfolk area often, I'll just stay at the Holiday Inn Virginia Beach Exec. Center from now on.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
HolidayInnSelect, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, June 29, 2009
Thank you for your honest feedback regarding your recent stay. We are continually striving to improve our quality and service, and your comments are very important in helping us achieve those goals.

In an effort to improve our quality, we have recently made several product improvements, and will complete our renovations and updates to our room decor by the end of the year.

I hope you will consider staying with us again, so that we may provide you with the level of quality and service that you expect from a Holiday Inn.

Thank you.
indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

My wife, my mother and I flew in from the midwest due to the death of my brother. After a friend picked us up at the airport we went to the hotel that we intended to stay and found it to be entirely unacceptable. So the hunt began, we checked out every hotel in that general area including the ramada, days inn, red roof and others (americas best was the absolute worst of them all!!) So I said lets check out the HI, I walked into the lobby and spoke to the desk clerk "September" she was very sweet and very professional. We asked to see a room and she gave us a key and directions..From the moment we walked into the lobby, I could tell that mother was happy here. We got to the room and found it to be perfect, it even had the sink in the bathroom that mother liked. We checked in at that point and September even gave us discounts for senior citizen and my military affiliation which brought the room down to like 97 dollars which was even bettter. We stayed for 5 days. The breakfast buffet was good and room service acceptable also. We also used the pool and whirlpool during our which helped relieve some of the stress of the trip. The staff works hard to please its guests and it shows! All in all our stay at the Holiday Inn Select was wonderful and we really do appreciate all the hard work the staff does to keep its guest happy

• Liked — the great staff
  • Disliked — furniture needed polishing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you very much for your lovely comments regarding our staff on your last stay at the Holiday Inn Select.

Our staff likes to think of themselves as the Champions of the Guest Experience, and they always appreciate your positive and encouraging feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Been to Holiday Inn Norfolk Airport? Share your experiences!