“Great value and a Great location - the Tazewell Hotel in Norfolk, VA.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tazewell Hotel & Suites

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #12 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
Wallingford, Connecticut
“Great value and a Great location - the Tazewell Hotel in Norfolk, VA.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

The hotel was a great value for the money. The price included a room with wireless internet, a microwave and a fridge and a continental breakfast. The room was large with two large windows. The location was wonderful - it was right on the NET - free public transportation and close to many wonderful restaurants. The hotel employees were very responsive to any request that I made and great about providing directions and suggesting places of interest to see.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Chesapeake, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

Reserved two queen beds - got doubles. There were unrepaired holes in the walls from when there were queen bed frames. Tile on the bath floor loose. Mold on the bath ceiling. The lamp on the night stand was broken and the bulb was hanging by it's wires. Shower fixture didn't half work right and was a drizzle. Three people in the room as reserved and only 2 towels, two coffee cups.

Only 1 elevator is operational. Smelled like someone died in it.

Last December we woke up to no heat which they blamed on not knowing how to turn on the thermostat. I used to do electrical/electronic system design for navy ships - I think I can figure out how to switch a heat pump thermostat to the heat position. It was the first thing I checked this year.

UPDATE 1/11 - After sending written complaints to Choice Hotels, I was called by both the desk manager and the hotel general manager. The desk manager offered 50% refund which I accepted. General manager called and we further discussed the situation. He promised to look into the condition issues and refunded the full stay. I was also promised a 50% discount certificate to stay another time. I said that I would not remove but would update the review.

This is a neat old hotel. I really hope they do get their act together.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Stafford, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

I picked the Tazewell Hotel because it was part of a Living Social deal. Well, I can see why it was a deal. I arrived at 11:30pm after a day at Busch Gardens. First, I can't find the hotel because there isn't a sign on the main road. I turn down Tazewell street, figuring the hotel had to be on that road, which it was. I parked at the parking garage right next door, only to be told that Tazewell Hotel does not have a parking garage and that my car may be towed. They suggested, I try the parking garage 2 blocks down. So, I have to PAY for parking, then walk two blocks in the flurries with all my luggage at quarter til midnight. Not cool.

The hotel itself looks run down and that they did just quick paint jobs to make it look less run down. No water pressure at all (though a large bathroom). The continental breakfast had no milk, and was out of juice. The toaster didn't work very well either. Also, when I was trying to find out what the check out time was, the phone didn't work to call the front desk.

The pro is that they have free wifi internet in the rooms, and the beds are quite comfy. I checked the mattress for bed bugs once I got into the room. The mattresses appeared to be very clean, and I didn't see any sign of bed bugs on the mattress or on me the next morning. The people were also very nice.

Due to the terrible parking situation, breakfast, and run down appearance I am giving this hotel 2 stars. It is less than average, but not the worst hotel either.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

Arrived at 1pm (2 hours early for check-in). The desk clerk was very helpful and was able to get me a room immediately. The room he got for me had a problem with the door coming off the hinges. Before I could go downstairs to report the problem, he had already called to ensure the room was satisfactory. When I told him about the door, he said to sit tight and wait for one of the maids to bring me the keys to my new room across the hall! That room was bigger and had amuch better view!
Upon leaving the next day, it was raining. The clerk gave me an umbrella since mine was in the car 2 blocks away!
The location of the Hotel is awesome. Right outside the door are about 4 nice bars and eateries. The area is clean, well lighted, and very safe. I was very impressed with the area. Well done Norfolk!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
North Bend, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

The Tazewell hotel is right downtown, with easy walking distance to the waterfront. The hotel was very clean, reasonably priced ($83/night including tax) and its history showed in its decor. We were on the seventh floor and really enjoyed our stay! Two issues - no on site parking. You have to park your car in a parking garage which is $12/day or $15/day for in and out privileges. All on street parking spots are metered. Also, our "queen" bed was two double mattress put together, which sagged in the middle. The breakfast was small and they were out of juice. But we really enjoyed our stay. It was a very nice hotel in up and coming Norfolk. The best places to eat there - Hell's Kitchen on Grandby St. and definitely AW Shucks for seafood.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Richmond
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

I was impressed with the location (heart of downtown Norfolk) and graciousness of the staff. The historical aspects of the hotel were neat, including the decor and beautiful large bay window in our room. The price was far more affordable than comparable hotels in the area. I would visit again, for sure!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Tamuning, Mariana Islands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

My significant other and I reserved a room at the Tazwell Hotel for July 31, 2010 check in for one night. When I called to make the reservation I requested a king room non-smoking. We were attending an event Saturday the 31st and had called the hotel on the 31st at 2pm to re-confirm our reservation and indicated at that time that we would be checking in late. I indicated that we would be arriving sometime between 11:00 pm and midnight. I was informed that this would be appropriately annotated and that it was not problem as all reservations are held until 2:00 am.

We arrived at the front desk for check in at the same time a very large tour bus was arriving. The front desk clerk had us waiting for approximately 20 minutes while attempting to settle a credit card issue with the party before us. When he finally checked us in he gave us the key for room 507. We walked up stairs to the room, as the elevator was taken over by dozens of children running it between floors. The key would not access the door. We walked back down luggage in tow, to bring this to the attention of the front desk. He re-keyed it again and again we walked up to access the room. Again the key did not work. We again went to the front desk and he again keyed the card. Upon arriving back for the third time at room 507 the key did access the room and to our surprise it was occupied and full of another guests personal belongings. We proceeded down to the front desk again and made it clear that something was obviously wrong and how it is rapidly approaching 1:00 am and we still were not in our room after almost an hour. The front desk clerk indicated he had made a mistake and we were actually supposed to be in room 403. He gave us the key and we got to the room and the door open. To our dismay the room was not what we had requested. The bed was not a king, the bathroom had cigarette burns and nicotine stains all over the counter, obviously not a non-smoking room. There were children running and yelling in the hallways and other rooms, which we did complain about and the response was " We do not have any other rooms available, we are completely sold out" I would have expected the response to be more in tune to, We will address the issue and have the noise resolved. This was by far the worst experience we have ever had with lodging. We both travel extensively and in some cases to areas that are underdeveloped, yet we have never experience the lack of service or deteriorating conditions as we did from this hotel which portrays itself as;

"Tazewell Hotel & Suites is an exciting blend of old & new! Our entire staff looks forward to welcoming our new & past guests alike, and to offering the finest personal service and hospitality. "

"The Tazewell Hotel and Suites brings a renaissance of style and exemplary service to downtown Norfolk, an intimate hotel that captures the essence of the small boutique hotels of Europe. It is in the name of Littleton Waller Tazewell, and his many descendants who have made Norfolk and Hampton Roads their home, that we are proud to present The Tazewell Hotel and Suites. "

The hotel must have a great marketing team to come up with such advertizing as nothing could be further from the truth.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Been to Tazewell Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!