“One Night - Good Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
NJ
“One Night - Good Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We arrived Friday night and had no idea it was Norfolk Beerfest weekend. Granby Street was busy with many couples and groups of people having a great time. Check-in was easy, and after going around the block, we found free parking on the street (until 9am). The elevator was small and the room was clean and spacious. We had to check out early to visit ODU, so we did not really see the surrounding area.
We had breakfast at Charlie's Cafe - check out that review under restaurants.
Aside from the fire alarm going off at 2:30 am - and sending everyone onto the street, it is a great hotel. The alarm was signaled by a fire extinguisher going off. No fire, no harm done, not the hotels fault (beerfest fault??).
I would stay here again, no questions asked. The hotel and the area look great.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
virginia, usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

What I saw of the hotel is in very good shape--except for the carpets. The elevators are beautiful but tiny. Had a two-room (with two king beds) suite for a very reasonable price. The location is great. We walked to the waterfront, and to MacArthur center. The walls and doors were paper thin; heard a little more than I cared to of people coming and going from the room next door.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I stayed in this hotel on my birthday,June 7th. It also coincides with Harbor-fest. We where in an excellent location with everything from MacArthur Mall to the waterfront and numerous restaurants and Galleries. Our room was upgraded to a lovely 3 room suite, We were extremely happy with. It is older and falls more in the shabby chic on decor but all was very comfortable and clean. Karina and Kieth were our desk staff during our stay and went beyond the norm to make our stay wonderful. We will definitely be going back. I ts a very short drive for us but just enough to be a pleasure without worrying over home,if we are needed. I hope to go back next month for the 4th of July fireworks held at the park. You can almost see them from the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Cool older hotel. It is in a great spot for downtown Norfolk, Macarthur mall and 1 1/2 blocks from The Norva concert hall. Very nice staff as well. Also a fantastic restaurant on the hotel property. Some of the best food we have had in a while. Staying there again next week.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Fort Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I booked this hotel for a great price. I went to the beach first to get some fun in the sun, and the Tazewell called me to let me know they were going to pre-authorize my card to make check in a breeze. I appreciated the call. I got to the hotel and they were very nice and accomadating. I was told that my rate was higher than what I booked for, but when I let them know the rate I reserved for, they changed the rate, no problem. The desk people and the housekeeping were all phenomanol. The hotel has a lot of character, it's clean, and is very architually interesting. It has a turn of the cenntury Great Gatsby feel to it. It is centrally located in Norfolk's quaint downtown. It's close to the McArthur Mall, Granby St dinning, The Waterfront, Nauticus, The USS Wisconsin, and is approx twenty minutes from the Va Beach Ocean Front. There are some signs of age in the carpet, Wallpaper and some of the fixtures but I expected as much in a one hundred year old hotel. When you go to google the hotel and put in Tazewell Norfolk....it auto fills in "Haunted", I got a kick out of that.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

This hotel is old, and in need of great repair. I will say the front desk was very nice, and helpful. The room was clean, but it has an ant problem. I got some food from across the street, sat it down to take a shower, came back and ants were enjoying it. The bed had a huge dip in the middle, so you were not going to sleep on the side, you always rolled into the middle. The AC didn't work, so they had a portably ac unit in the room. The other kept blowing hot air, so this was a losing battle. The ice machine didn't work in the hotel, so you had to get the front desk to get you some ice from there cooler. The vending machines didn't work. The elevator only worked if you pushed the down button to go up. This hotel is not worth the price. I will be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

We stayed at the Tazewell for three nights while attending a graduation. The hotel is clean and safe. The personnel was very helpful. We would definitely stay there there again. Location is the best - right on Granby Street- walking distance to the Scope, shopping mall and waterfront

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Tazewell Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!