“older hotel but very nice” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   245 Granby Street, Norfolk, VA 23510   |
Ranked #14 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
Certificate of Excellence 2014
virginia, usa
“older hotel but very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

What I saw of the hotel is in very good shape--except for the carpets. The elevators are beautiful but tiny. Had a two-room (with two king beds) suite for a very reasonable price. The location is great. We walked to the waterfront, and to MacArthur center. The walls and doors were paper thin; heard a little more than I cared to of people coming and going from the room next door.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I stayed in this hotel on my birthday,June 7th. It also coincides with Harbor-fest. We where in an excellent location with everything from MacArthur Mall to the waterfront and numerous restaurants and Galleries. Our room was upgraded to a lovely 3 room suite, We were extremely happy with. It is older and falls more in the shabby chic on decor but all was very comfortable and clean. Karina and Kieth were our desk staff during our stay and went beyond the norm to make our stay wonderful. We will definitely be going back. I ts a very short drive for us but just enough to be a pleasure without worrying over home,if we are needed. I hope to go back next month for the 4th of July fireworks held at the park. You can almost see them from the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Cool older hotel. It is in a great spot for downtown Norfolk, Macarthur mall and 1 1/2 blocks from The Norva concert hall. Very nice staff as well. Also a fantastic restaurant on the hotel property. Some of the best food we have had in a while. Staying there again next week.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Fort Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I booked this hotel for a great price. I went to the beach first to get some fun in the sun, and the Tazewell called me to let me know they were going to pre-authorize my card to make check in a breeze. I appreciated the call. I got to the hotel and they were very nice and accomadating. I was told that my rate was higher than what I booked for, but when I let them know the rate I reserved for, they changed the rate, no problem. The desk people and the housekeeping were all phenomanol. The hotel has a lot of character, it's clean, and is very architually interesting. It has a turn of the cenntury Great Gatsby feel to it. It is centrally located in Norfolk's quaint downtown. It's close to the McArthur Mall, Granby St dinning, The Waterfront, Nauticus, The USS Wisconsin, and is approx twenty minutes from the Va Beach Ocean Front. There are some signs of age in the carpet, Wallpaper and some of the fixtures but I expected as much in a one hundred year old hotel. When you go to google the hotel and put in Tazewell Norfolk....it auto fills in "Haunted", I got a kick out of that.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is old, and in need of great repair. I will say the front desk was very nice, and helpful. The room was clean, but it has an ant problem. I got some food from across the street, sat it down to take a shower, came back and ants were enjoying it. The bed had a huge dip in the middle, so you were not going to sleep on the side, you always rolled into the middle. The AC didn't work, so they had a portably ac unit in the room. The other kept blowing hot air, so this was a losing battle. The ice machine didn't work in the hotel, so you had to get the front desk to get you some ice from there cooler. The vending machines didn't work. The elevator only worked if you pushed the down button to go up. This hotel is not worth the price. I will be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

We stayed at the Tazewell for three nights while attending a graduation. The hotel is clean and safe. The personnel was very helpful. We would definitely stay there there again. Location is the best - right on Granby Street- walking distance to the Scope, shopping mall and waterfront

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Nantwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I had booked a harbour tour for my wife & I for 2pm and had booked a one night stay for this reason on our journey north to DC.
We arrived at midday and wasn't expecting to be allowed to check in however I told the very pleasant and helpful young lady about our plans for the 2pm harbour tour and asked if I could just park the car and head off to the harbour and check in later, but she arranged with the chamber maids for our room to be prepared and we were in our room in less than half an hour.
Many thanks to this charming lady also for the restaurant recommendations.
You can see the hotel is very old but it had a certain charm, not sterile and lacking atmosphere like modern establishments.
Our room was large with two queen beds and it was quite evident that they were made up in a hurry.
Ideally situated for all the attractions Norfolk has to offer and reasonably priced it was a good choice for us.
We will probably never re visit Norfolk again but have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms over the two main roads can be noisy with traffic.