“Great funky old hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
Ft. collins, co
“Great funky old hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Great location, many bars and rewtaurants in close proximity. Comfortable beds. Very nice staff. Stayed last week before heading down to OBX and staying again tonite to be nearer to airport. Great place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Lynchburg, Va
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My wife and I had a 2-night stay this past weekend. The positives: location (very convenient to everything in downtown Norfolk), staff (friendly and helpful), and price (via Priceline) were all very good. The negative: we were told that they were sold out of non-smoking rooms (we made our reservation ~ 10 days prior to our stay) for the weekend. Sleeping in a room that smelled of cigarettes was a BIG negative as it considerably diminished our overall experience. In my opinion a quality hotel should not have any smoking rooms (especially if they have few overall rooms to begin with as is the case with old hotels). When we go back to Norfolk in the future we'll choose another hotel even if we have to pay more (unless the Tazwell's current smoking room policy has changed.).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Blacksburg, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

If you like chain hotels like Hilton or Marriott, you might not agree with this review, but if you like interesting, unique hotels that are still clean and friendly, I'd recommend this hotel. It's older, but well maintained, the staff is very helpful and friendly, and the rooms are spacious and beautiful.

There's no in-hotel restaurant, but it is mere steps away from a lot of good restaurants, both local and chain.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Tatamy, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Great location for what we wanted to do (visit Nauticus and Town Point Park). Parking is in the garage and you need a code to get in with your car and you need a hotel staff to walk with you to get you into the garage to get your car. The day staff was very nice and friendly. One guy on the night staff was....pleasant enough. My husband wasn't impressed, but I liked to old style of it. Updates are needed, peeling paint, dirty carpets ruined by bleach/carpet cleaner, peeling wallpaper etc... We didn't eat breakfast there. We thought the area they have reserved for breakfast was a little dark, and didn't really want to eat there. It felt like we were window to window with the business/condos across the street, which wouldn't be so bad, I guess, if the curtains actually covered the whole window! And because of that, there was no sleeping late. Due to the very loud noise of bottles clanking at 7:30am and daylight piercing around those curtains, you WILL be an early riser.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 5th floor, street/apartment across the street view, and we were woken up around...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I booked this room for the price. I got there and paid $15 for parking, which was not listed when I booked it. I stayed in room 202. room 202 was on the floor with a mezzanine, the exercise room, the business center and storage. there was no other rooms on the floor that I could find. the room was big enough for me, but it had a smell to it that I could not identify. when I checked out the person who was working had to walk with me to let me in to the garage, since its an old historic building the city would not let them build anything to connect the two. I have to say the staff was friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

It is always nice when you can find a hotel downtown without paying a King's ransom and The Tazewell fits the bill. I needed to be downtown and a customer recommended the hotel and said price was not like the others. It was comfortable, quiet and the staff was very helpful. I was also able to park right on the street since there is no meter to feed between 6:00 PM and 9:00 AM. There are probably nicer hotels downtown but you might pay double the cost, so if you are looking for all of the fancy amenities and price is no object The Tazewell might not be your choice but it was just right for me.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Springfield, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

This hotel was a great way for us to celebrate our 45th anniversary. It's central location made it easy to walk to several attractions in the area. It's not the usual hotel, but that's what made it special for us. If you are looking for a unique experience with exceptional staff, this is one for you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Tazewell Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!