“Trip to Norfolk, VA” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 39 hotels in Norfolk
Fayetteville, North Carolina
“Trip to Norfolk, VA”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My husband and I took a trip to Norfolk for a football game. We loved the look of the Tazewell and the proximity to the stadium. The bed was a King size and very comfortable. The bathroom was beautiful!! There are lots of eating places nearby. Also, there a some bars downtown as well. We definitely would stay there again. The staff was very helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Vin_L_Tazewell, General Manager at Tazewell Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Thank for choosing to stay at the Tazewell. I am happy to learn that both you and your husband enjoyed your stay. We are looking forward to seeing you again.

247 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed here with our dogs in December. We chose the Tazewell because the conference hotel was sold out, and we wanted something pet-friendly. Next time we have to go to Norfolk, Tazewell Hotel & Suites will be our first choice.

The staff was VERY friendly and helpful. The room was large (especially for an older hotel in the middle of the city), comfortable, and clean. The location is wonderful--a few blocks away from parks to walk the dogs, very close to restaurants and an upscale mall, close to the waterfront. I felt safe walking around in the neighborhood.

There is a parking garage next door, which is not connected to the hotel, but when you are ready to go get your car, security escorts you over and unlocks the door for you. It was pretty convenient. To be honest, after we checked in and parked the car, we didn't need it again until we were leaving--everything was walkable.

There is no room service, but there are two restaurants/bars right off the lobby, and a bunch of delivery options.

I would definitely recommend the Tazewell Hotel & Suites to anyone traveling to downtown Norfolk.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind comments. I am happy to learn that your stay at the Tazewell was a good one. We hope you will come back and see us again very soon!

Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I booked this when the conference hotel was busy, and it was a short walk from my meeting at the waterfront. The Tazewell is in a great location, lots of dining / bars available, including the absolutely exceptional Empire Little Bar Bistro downstairs. The hotel itself has potential greatness to be a grand old hotel, but it's a little run down - perhaps going through "charming" on the way to 'decrepit'? There was an offensive odor in the lobby that fortunately was not present in the room. The room (King Bed Suite) was small but not unduly cramped, clean, and the bed was comfortable. The staff were friendly and efficient in my limited dealings. Business center and wi-fi were free, nice touches, although I didn't use the wi-fi so I don't know how well it worked. Bottom line - it's a good option for a tolerant traveler who wants a value in this area; don't take someone there to impress them, unless they remodel it first!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Tazewell. I am sorry to learn that your stay was less than satisfactory. The hotel staff is diligently working to resolve the issues pointed out in your review and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed at the Tazewell my first time a few months ago. I travel a lot to Norfolk on business and had been staying in the larger chains and was looking for a change of pace. The building is tucked away on a corner right downtown. The staff was professional and polite, the rooms were clean and open, and the amenities were good. The staff was responsive to my requests and were genuinely happy to help. There are two funky/cool restaurant/bars right off the front entrance and you get the feeling that if you were staying here more than a couple of days, people would start to call you by your name. There is a huge mall to the front and the waterfront right in back. The neighborhood is so eclectic and interesting you can spend a lot of time exploring and never get bored. Overall I would say the experience at the Tazewell was definitely a good one and I have now found my preferred place to stay whenever I am in Norfolk.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
GMT1976, General Manager at Tazewell Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind comments. I am happy to learn that the Tazewell will be your hotel of choice in Norfolk and the hotel staff is looking forward to your next visit.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I enjoyed a fabulously romantic weekend last November. The room was clean, spacious, and quaintly quiet. Several great restaurants and entertainment venues were within walking distance. For a great old-fashioned hair cut, visit Tony's Barber Shop on Granby.

• Stayed December 2011
Thank you for your comments. I am glad to learn that you and your husband enjoyed your stay. We are looking forward to your next visit.

Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Drove in on Motorcycle for a concert at the Norva. Great Location. Bedding was nice and comfortable. Hotel was clean and great price. For a small fee, hotel provided parking at garage close by. Nice place to eat next to hotel with access to hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GMT1976, General Manager at Tazewell Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you so much for the kind review. The staff at the Tazewell is looking forward your next visit.

Hillsborough, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My wife and I drove up to Norfolk for a concert at the NorVa theater around the corner and didn't want to make the 4 hour trip back home afterwards, so we stayed at the Tazewell. If you're going to the NorVa, it's perfect because it's literally two blocks away. The people were great on check-in, and there's a indoor parking garage attached to the hotel itself ($15 a night) with a locked entrance, so I felt very safe leaving my car there.

The room was a decent size and everything was very clean. It was an older building, and the floor sloped just enough that when we were sitting in bed, the wardrobe facing it was at a bit of an angle.... It never felt like an old threadbare building that was about to fall apart or anything of the sort - just like an old, well-loved building that was very comfortable and warm. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dharmesh,

I am elated to learn that you and your wife enjoyed your stay at the Tazewell. We are looking forward to your next stay with us and sincerely hope that you will be visiting us soon.

Vin L

Been to Tazewell Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!