“Good deal but some signs of age” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
New Jersey
“Good deal but some signs of age”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

I had a recent convention in downtown Norfolk, and the Marriott was quite a bit more expensive, so I decided to go with the Tazewell, only a few minutes walk away. The hotel does show a few minor signs of aging- sticky dresser drawers, some peeling wallpaper in the bathroom, old carpeting, and very slow elevators - but overall, for the money, I'd say it was a very good deal. The rooms were good sized and the beds and pillows were fine.

Room Tip: You should request a room facing away from Granby Street. There are bars on 3 of the 4 corners and...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Meherrin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I reserved a room without reservations, yet booked a wonderful room. I was on a personal trip and decided to stay an additional night. This transaction was made without any problems. This is an older hotel and very charming. It is a block away from Nauticus in one direction and one block away from a GREAT mall. The accomodations include free Starbucks coffee and a boxed breakfast with enough food to feed a few people.
There is a great place attached to the hotel with good food and great ambiance.
I really enjoyed my stay and am planning to take my Bible Study group for a retreat very soon. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Danville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

I recently stayed at TheTazewell Hotel in downtown Norfolk, Va. I was pleasantly surprised at the room size and ammenities provided by the hotel. Its downtown location was perfect for shopping and dining without ever having to drive . I plan to make this hotel my regular location whenever I visit the Virginia Beach and Norfolk area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012 via mobile

Attended a concert at the Ted Constant Center and decided we wanted to spend the night 2 hours before the concert. The Tazewell had a vacancy and the room was perfect for our needs!

• Stayed February 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I recently stayed at the Tazewell during a trip to Norfolk. I must say that I was very pleased with everything during my stay. It was about a 15 minute drive from the airport and easy to find (with GPS of course). The location is great and within walking distance to several restaurants, shopping, attractions, etc. Hotel staff was very friendly from the front desk to house keeping. I was on the 7th floor which provided a nice view of the downtown area. The room felt more like a 1-bedroom studio apartment minus the kitchen. The room was nicely updated, however, it did have an older television and the cable was not clear. There was next to no hot water in the shower which was a little tricky to figure out. I had to park in a parking garage a block away that got a little pricey since they did not have a daily rate. So aside from just a couple of small things, I would recommend the Tazewell Hotel to anyone visiting the downtown area and will probably be staying there again on my next trip to the city.

Room Tip: I would ask about the shower. Mine was tricky to figure out and there was barely any hot water. What...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

I was Norfolk with my daughter for a grad school tour. The Tazewell was recommended to us and after doing some research, I determined it was in the best location for what we needed. I was very pleased with the reservation process ( I did it over the phone) and the young man who answered my call was extremely pleasant and helpful, answering my questions regarding location, parking, distance to school (he recommended we utilize "the Tide" which we found to be quick, clean and a great value). The staff was extremely helpful and met our every need, especially with my many questions regarding walking directions. The Tazewell is an older hotel that meets modern times, with its beautiful building, great location and updated decor. I would definitely recommend the Tazewell.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

I was impressed with the quality of the hotel when I only paid $69 a night for the room. Hotel is older but updated and well-kept. Room decor is very nice. Bathroom fixtures were updated and not old. Staff was friendly and helpful. Location was awesome!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Tazewell Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!