“Thank you to the Sloanes!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 28 Attractions in Norfolk
Type: History Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The Hermitage Museum & Gardens, formerly home to the Sloane family, is an early 20th century Arts-and-Crafts estate located on the shore of the Lafayette River in Norfolk, Virginia. Featuring a nationally recognized art collection spanning 5,000 years, the Hermitage is home to the arts. Contemporary exhibition galleries, a Visual Arts Studio, working artist studios, and 12 acres of gardens and grounds offer art and culture to the community, as envisioned by the Sloanes.
Raleigh, North Carolina
14 attraction reviews
“Thank you to the Sloanes!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

The Hermitage Museum and Gardens is a not-to-be-missed spot in the Norfolk, VA area. It's in a lovely spot, a little off the beaten path, but very accessible from Hampton Boulevard.

I arrived on a sunny morning just in time for an 11 am tour, which was so worth it. Skylar, our guide, gave us a knowledgeable insight into the history of the Hermitage, into the life and passion of Mrs. Sloane, into the era in which she lived, and into as many pieces of the extensive collection that she could.

The Hermitage is not only a first-class museum for its holdings but also a tribute architecturally to Florence Sloane's imagination (I loved the trompe l'oeil painting on the door into the dining room.) and attention to detail. I got a true sense of what life must have been like during her tenure.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that in addition to sharing the Sloane collection of fine art, the museum also hosts artists' exhibitions, classes at its visual arts studio, films, and evening events.

The grounds must have been a splendor while Mrs. Sloane was around, but during my visit in the July heat, they were struggling. I think there are efforts to keep up with the grounds, and I hope more can be done to restore them to their former elegance.

I highly recommend a visit; you won't be disappointed!

Visited July 2014

St. John
13 attraction reviews
“Wedding venu - superb”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I cannot rate the museum as I was here participating in a wedding held in the lovely gardens. And I can heartily recommend it for such a purpose. The setting by the water, with the charming estate house and gardens is perfect for a wedding. Time is well spent wandering the immaculately tended grounds.

Visited June 2014
Washington, DC
3 attraction reviews
“I love old estates that have become museums”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

The Hermitage and gardens situated by the water is a place for me to relax and contemplate the art and the family that collected it

Visited April 2014
Kittanning, Pennsylvania
11 attraction reviews
“A relaxing time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

We went inside the house for a tour. The inside was a small fee and the outside ground is free to see. I recommend taking a guided tour, the staff is well informed and brings the history to life. The woodwork here is amazing! After the house tour we enjoyed the outside grounds and beautiful gardens. We was unable to go into carpenters house because it was closed. Very nice trip.

Visited June 2014
Washington, DC
5 attraction reviews
“Fabulous setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We were here for an outside wedding and did not tour the inside of the house, but the grounds are lovely. I would return for a longer visit.

Visited May 2014