“Fairly nice, but...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Navy Lodge Norfolk

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Norfolk
Navy Lodge Norfolk
Save Saved
You added Navy Lodge Norfolk to your Saves list
7811 Hampton Boulevard, Naval Station Norfolk, Norfolk, VA 23511-5000   |
Miami, Florida
“Fairly nice, but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

We stayed here May 28-June 1st, 2012. I have to say, for the price, our room was well equipped with a good-sized bathroom and a kitchenette, and everything seemed very clean. But the linens! There was no mattress pad, only a loose waterproof cover on top of the mattress, and sheets so thin and cheap you could almost see through them. All night, the waterproof cover kept bunching up underneath the sheet, and we felt damp all the time because of body heat against the rubber in the waterproof cover. Had there been a pad over the waterproof cover, there wouldn't have been a sweating situation. The free breakfast was not a hot breakfast...the usual hard boiled eggs, muffins, danish, cereal, instant oatmeal, juices, etc., but all fresh. The staff were polite enough, but seemed unhappy to be there. This lodge is geared towards the visiting military family and as such, there are many children, but remarkably little noise heard.

We came to see our sailor, and this location was just minutes from the base, the NEX, etc, and was quite safe to walk around in, although we had no need to do so. I would stay here again, but I might be tempted to bring a mattress pad this time...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
bakersfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

After checking in late, the lights in my room didn't work - but I was too tired to complain and ask to change rooms. The next day I let the front desk know and maintenance came right away and illuminated things nicely. Throughout my stay, my non-smoking room had that stale old-smoke odor to it. The bed was comfortable, the pillows generous, and I REALLY liked having the small fully equipped kitchen. Every morning continental breakfast was served early enough to enjoy before reporting for work. Overall, my 1 week stay was very comfortable.

Room Tip: Families with Pets up to 50 pounds are welcome, with reservations and shot records.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in the room with the kitchenette which was a nice feature. The bathroom and kitchen area were clean. I was a little disappointed with the housekeeping. We stayed for 5 days and the room wasn't vacuumed and two of the days the trash was not emptied. Also, in a common hallway where the steps were, someone had smeared blood on the wall and it remained for four days. Gross... The people at the front desk were very courteous!

• Stayed January 2012
US Navy Afloat
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

I'm embarrassed to state that not only am I Active Duty Navy, but also a member of the Naval Supply Community (the community that runs the NEX and Navy Lodges), and this 7 day stay was by far the worst lodging experience, in 28 years of Naval Service.

Where to begin. Well, the Naval Base was my original reservation (which, by the way has great lodging at the Navy Gateway Inn - the old CBQ/BOQ), but there was no heat or water, so everyone was directed to the Navy Lodge (vice civilian hotels). I have never stayed at the Navy Lodge in Norfolk before, but, I had passed it numerous times on my travels up-and-down Hampton Blvd - and the property has transitioned (on the exterior ONLY) from a rundown property, to a newly renovated modern property (again, on the exterior ONLY). From Hampton Blvd, the renovated, larger, Navy Lodge looks impressive - - - but that is where it stops....on the outside.

LOCATION: The location is in a "Iff'y" area of the City of Norfolk......this area has seen it's share of crime over time - but, not to bad lately (last year or so). However, the property is not officially behind the gates of NAVSTA Norfolk (the property and the parking lot has easy access from Hampton Blvd.....for anyone).....so, just like at any other property, lock your car doors, and watch your surroundings, and you'll be fine. Every possible food establishment is nearby, but - just far enough away that it is not walking distance. Also, there are NO SIDEWALKs between the Lodge and most of the establishments further north up the street - and the Sailors drive like crazy on Hampton Blvd.....so, I would not advise walking.

CHECK-IN: Check in was miserable. Front desk staff was nice, but, the room keys did not work, not once, but twice. After lugging my bags all the way to the end of the longgggg new building, I returned to the desk and requested another room (vice a 3rd key). Front desk accomodated my request, but stated "we have problems with the door keys/locks all the time, you'll be back to see us during your 7 day stay" - and sure enough, they were correct. The new room key worked fine, on Day 1, but went out during the middle of my stay.

ROOM: I had a 2-Queen room, and it was hi-lariously horrible. The furniture was shipped directly from the nearest prison (horrible quality), and there was no chair/love seat or couch to sit on in the room, and relax.....just 2 small uncomfortable dining table chairs. No desk (just a very small square dining table). So, to relax (read a paper/book), you have to climb into bed each time. The queen beds were the most uncomfortable beds....ever. There were 4-5 pillows on each bed, and the pillows were the size of inner tubes....huge.....so your neck was elevated all night. Needless to say, I did not sleep well.

BATHROOM: The bathroom was ample size, but there is ZERO water pressure---for the entire property. Took about 10min to get hot water at the shower, and the front desk acknowledged "Yep, water pressure is horrible, has always been like that---sorry" - so, taking a shower was a laugh (water barely trickling out of the shower head). Soooo, they just renovated the entire property - you would think that the water pressure problem would have been addressed....but, nope.

INTERNET: I just checked my calendar, and it is indeed 2012.....and the Navy Lodge does NOT have Wi-Fi in the rooms. And, the hard-wired DSL is adequate, but only for basic internet (no streaming, no Itunes). Again, with a brand new renovated property, you would expect Wi-Fi in the rooms.

LAUNDRY: Laundry is not *free* (on base at the CBQ it is free); now I understand that most civilian hotels charge money for self-serve laundry - but this is not a civilian hotel (it is a NEX property), so the laundry should be gratis. This is one example of the Navy seeking profit over doing the right thing for the Sailors. It's only 2 bucks (1 for wash, 1 for dry), but it should be free for the Sailors and their families.

Overall, my 7 day stay was just miserable and uncomfortable. I really feel for the junior enlisted Sailors that have to stay here with family, due to budgetary concerns.....for a few dollars more each night they should seek a room up the street at the Hampton Inn (closer to the base, much much better rooms, better reviews, and they do have a govt per diem rate). I'm certain that the quality of this property will remain the same, over the years to come....even though the NEX rakes in the profits from the Sailors. It's unfortunate, since they have a large number of rooms, and should be in the business of taking care of the Sailors (vice profit).

Room Tip: Select a room on the 1st or 2nd floor, as the elevators are extremely slowwwwww.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

My stay (from August 2011 'til mid-January 2012) was a happy one. I have read a troubling review and would suggest the individuual take another look at Navy Lodge Norfolk. I experienced a "couple" of disappointing events during my stay. I ALWAYS found the staff to be responsve and professional in their dealings with me. When I thought I had a problem, I had only to mention it and people were in work quickly to resolve the inconvenience. Forever grateful to all of you at Norfolk Navy Lodge, and thanks for treating me like family. We had fun and managed to get a great deal of work accomplished.

Room Tip: Talk to the front desk ..they WILL listen and they will situate you accordkingly. I worked nights a...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Barlow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

We stayed at Navy Lodge Norfolk when my son's ship came back from deployment...I was very impressed with the rooms. We got a room for my son and for us, his room was a single and was very nice, very roomy and very clean. Ours was a double queen with a kitchenette, that had everything we might have needed. Both rooms had flat screen televisions and nice size restrooms and again very, very clean!
I will stay no where else, when I go and visit my son in Norfolk except at the Navy Lodge.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

now everyone has their opinion but i love my stay at navylodge NORFOLK first i have to stay the staff was very helpful the supervisor there seem like she knew everything (you go girl!) also the room was spacious ihad a small kitchenette which was right up my alley (i love to cook) anything i needed the front desk staff was right there to help. My houskeeper also treated me like royalty....I will be back there to stay any time and my family said they are comming too.... the price was excellent no taxes do you know how high taxes are these days ......I only had one bad thing to say NO POOL but thats ok theres one right down the street, now thats what Im talking about.... please go see for yourself cause i really enjoy myself they also have breakfast to but like i said i didnt need it cause i got down and dirty in the kitchen myselff

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Navy Lodge Norfolk? Share your experiences!