“I want this place to succeed, but...” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #195 of 613 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: American
Norfolk, Virginia
“I want this place to succeed, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We had a Groupon and wanted to a quick lunch. I ordered the hog wrapped hot-dog and my husband ordered the cowboy hamburger. The weather was spectacular so sitting outside was perfect. What I noticed was a steady stream of people coming to this very tiny restaurant next to McDonald's. What I also noticed was not one group outside had their food and many who wanted to eat there left empty handed. It was a LONG wait. And like another reviewer stated, orders were not completed in the order they received, nor was the staff (owner, perhaps) the friendliest chap. So, if you go at lunch time on a beautiful Saturday, bring a book, prepare to play cornhole or surf your smartphone/ipad because you will be waiting. Was the food worth the wait? My hot-dog was just that, a hot-dog with 2 strips of crispy bacon on either side and what should have tasted more like cheddar cheese smothered on top. Cowboy burger was good and the garlic Parmesan tater tot that come with the protein were plentiful and somewhat tasty if you like fried tater tots. Lots of grease on the wax paper underneath... Will we go again? I REALLY want to have a go-to local yummy, reasonable-priced burger joint (or pulled-pork joint) so we will try again. Need faster service...

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Fast, Fun, & Friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Food is fast, fairly priced, and there are quite a few good beers on tap. Its small with an open kitchen, so you can see that everything is clean and fresh.

At meal time it can get packed and a bit backed up, but its totally worth the wait, or a good place to stop during mid afternoon. The tater tots are banging, and the Carolina Pulled Pork BBQ was incredible. I am a happy repeat customer there. Cant wait to try more menu items.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Newport News, Virginia
“Food is acceptable if you can get them to make you some”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I really wanted Bent Fork to do well, but it has been a struggle. The first owner often was working alone and would get tired and start being hostile and sarcastic every customer who walked in. Now they have had a new owner for a while but he also ends up alone and he does not take orders in the order patrons arrive, works very slowly (not ready for short order) and just does not seem to give a hoot whether you get to order, get to eat, etc. He seems exhausted. I could forgive all this if at times the service was sharp or the food astonishing - I have not had either experience in any of a half-dozen visits now. This time after 20 minutes, when he took the order of the people who came in after me and could not be bothered to take my order before starting to work on the next set of four orders (which he would complete before accepting the next four but he has seating for 16 people and everyone is getting burgers.) I know one short order cook can rock a diner this size with a much larger menu, but they need to be sharp or really, really good. I haven't had either experience and I won't be back.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“BEST burger in town!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Had driven by numerous times and finally stopped in. The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly-a neighborhood "Cheers"! In addition to the delicious burgers, they also feature local brews on tap! Great family experience as well. Real milkshakes for the WIN!!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Norfolk, Virginia
“Best Burger in Norfolk!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

I tried the Bent Fork Burger today and it is by far the best burger I have had in Norfolk. I feel that I am a connoisseur of burgers and these are excellent.

• Visited April 2013