“Great find!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“Great find!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I were in town for the evening to see a concert and didn't make specific plans for dinner. We stumbled across this place and the menu looked good, so we stayed even though the dining room was empty (it was a little before 6). I ordered the special, which was corvina (white flaky fish) over risotto and it was delicious. My husbands crock of scallops, shrimp, and crab meat was also very good. If we were in the area again, I would definitely go back!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Excellent food and great craft beers! My girlfriend & I both loved our meals. I had the seafood jambalaya & she had the Fish of the day over rice. the she crab soup was great too.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Norfolk, Virginia
“Fantastic Crab Legs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Got back from the Middle East just yesterday morning . Exhausted I went right to bed . When i woke up it was 9:30 and I was straving . Not a whole lot to choose from at that time of night and my favorite 456 Fish was already closed for sure .
I stumbled across Big Easy and boy am I glad that I did . I ordered their nightly special a pound of crab legs for 13.99 . They must be loosiung money on them , since most places charge 18.99 and they are no where as good as these were . If you are looking for me on a Thursday, stop by Big Easy and I'll be there .
Started off with a bowl of Gumbo - the real stuff . I wish they would sell it by the quart to go . Ask for Chris , i understand he is the new manager . He went out of his way to make my night special . Bartender , Christana can make a mean Martini .

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wayne
“Restaurant Week in Norfolk”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Being fairly new to the area we decided to try out the Big Easy Grill & Oyster Bar in Norfolk as how could you go wrong for a $20 price fixe menu? This is a tiny place that you just might miss (Garmin did) with ONLY Valet parking which is free (save for tip to excellent valet.) Reservations made and asked how to dress and was told upscale casual. So that is what we did. Although we were much more presentable than those walking in we were taken to the basement and sat at a table by the bathrooms which was wobbly from top to bottom. We found our waitress and asked to be moved and gracious person that she was she did so immediately. I was told we were the last reservation they had that night but the place both up and down was only half full. When we asked the waitress the difference between up and down we were told up was a bit more upscale for patrons who wanted a more upscale dining experience yet here we were dressed well, bejeweled and sitting among patrons in shorts and flip flops. I will say the waitress was wonderful (ask for Carli) and the food meh as the kids would say. My salad was average salad fair and my husband's gumbo "fine" in his words. My fried oysters were not cleaned and there were pieces of shells when you bit into them but otherwise they were middle of the road but oh the greens - that made my meal. Fabulous. His etouffee was much more watery than what I make or that which we have had in New Orleans but edible. The deserts were fabulous. His brownie a'la mode was rich and delectable and my chocolate torte was decadent with a nice raspberry coulee adorning it. So it was a mixed experience. Great waitress, clearly the hostess did not find us upstairs worthy in this upscale casual restaurant, some of the food excellent and some Captain D worthy. So I say we probably will not visit again but if you want to take a chance and you are in shorts and flip flops stop in for a drink or two but looking at the regular menu one would say that this place is way too pricey for what you get. Kudos to Carli though as she was one of the best waitresses we have had bar none.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Franklin, Virginia
“Mixed bag”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I wasn't sure what else to call this review, and I'm ambivalent about what used to be called the Big Easy.
To be sure the food was good. Flavors were good, if unexpected. The etoufee was sweet but didn't have the spices one would come to expect in a traditional etoufee, and for 17. I would have expected the crayfish to be a bit more plentiful in the dish.
The blackened chicken alfredo was also flavorful, especially with the spinach. If there were sun-dried tomatoes, I missed them. The sauce is, again, flavorful, but thin and soupy, not the heavy clingy sauce of an alfredo. Also, the noodles were linguine, not fettucine. A ticket of 18. on this dish boasts over confidence on the kitchen's part.
Everyone did love the steamed shrimp appetizer, and the seafood lovers at the table say it was the best part of the meal. Our dining partners also seemed to really enjoy their lobster tails.
Then there was the service. Our server was knowledgeable and polite, but overall, service was slow. Cocktail sauce came nearly too late, my bread came out when the pasta was gone, and my fiancee never did get the bread she ordered. Also, the server didn't ask what to clear and ended up taking something someone still wanted. Company was great, but it didn't distract us from the fact that the entrees were slow out of the kitchen.
The wine list is not extensive, but they had some good (and reasonable) choices. We went with the Infamous Goose, and we were not disappointed. Not enough wines by the glass to be sure.

Also, the online menu doesn't always help much. It lists a NY Strip, but there was none on the menu at the restaurant. Nor does the online menu list the beignet. This was a really flavorful dessert, but only 2 to an order--and not really light enough to properly be beignet. It came with a side of raspberry and caramel sauce. Not sure of the price on these, but more than 5. has the owner laughing all the way to the bank.
As for atmosphere, it's a cross between casual dining and more formal dining. On a Tuesday night, it was far more casual...and at some points, quite loud--not din from chatter over dinner, but raucous voices ...what one would expect in a sports bar. It's almost as if the place is still trying to grab hold of a more secure identity, as its sister restaurants have successfully done
I can understand why the reviews here are a mixed bag. I'd stay with the seafood since that is what they seem to do best. The service seems as if it is hit and miss.
The place is in a great location and is spacious inside. I'd say it's worth a try and a go-once place for sure. Whether you return or not after that, up to you.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere