“Average ” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown

You added Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown to your Saves list
Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   700 Monticello Avenue, Norfolk, VA 23510 (Formerly Norfolk Plaza Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #17 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
Sydney, Australia
“Average ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Hotel suited our needs while we looked around Norfolk. Some minor issues with our room which were rectified by staff upon our request. Rooms were comfortable and staff were friendly. Wouldn't want to stay there for more than two nights, due to lack of amenities and things to do.

Stayed July 2014
Larry S, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate all the feedback we can get from our guests to ensure the best possible stay for all future guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Dallas, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I stayed at this dump over the weekend while attending the jazz festival and all I can say is you're better off staying at Motel 6. First of all I love the view of public housing it was so scenic...not! The iron did not work so I called the front desk to request another one and they said they would send on right away.....30 minutes later when it arrived by someone blasting rap music thru her headphones, I just shook my head. Saturday the ice machines on all floors were broken. How? The only working one was in the lobby but the main thing was flushing the toilet. I had to fill the waste container with water to do so...I'm not lying and I called the front desk to complain and Charles reply was he had to speak to his Manager which was a run around. Let me give you some advice, do not do not stay here and shame on Booking.Com for listing this dump. Stay away from room 916!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We are so sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay here at the Norfolk Plaza. We have taken efforts to ensure that other guests will not have to deal with the issues that you had during your stay.

I hope that you will give us another try. In the future, if you contact me directly, I will ensure that your stay will be beyond your expectations.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stayed at the Norfolk Plaza Hotel for the Jazz Festival this weekend. I have to take my hat off to them. We really had an enjoyable stay. The lobby and the decor were great, and rooms very pleasant. The hotel location was ideal, because it was close to everything we needed (Food, Drinks, and the festival. however what really made it a great stay was the Front Desk staff, and housekeeping. They made you feel very welcomed, and made you feel like they truly appreciated your business. They met the needs of our special request, and even made my brother honorary guest of the day. They printed up a plaque for him at the front desk, gave him a really nice room with a card and gift bag. Housekeeping made the towels into swans kissing on the bed. Housekeeping was always nearby to take care of any concerns we had. To top it off we got the room at a really great price. Matter of fact we're going to VA Beach in a few weeks, and plan to stay here for the better price.
Now there were “some” cons so I wouldn’t call this a 5 star hotel, but at least for us the Staff made it easy to overlook the small things.
Over all great place to stay!

Cynthia Pegram

Room Tip: Room on the front side of the hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
GM_NP2, Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Ms. Pegram,

I am happy to hear that your stay at the Norfolk Plaza was an enjoyable one. I sincerely hope that you will be staying with us again, when in Norfolk.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I stayed at the Norfolk Plaza Hotel for a family reunion gathering. When I arrived they told me that they didn't have me down for a reserved room. My wife had made the reservation about two months before we arrived. So I then asked if I could get a room. They quoted $50 more than the reservation price. I told them that I was with the family reunion and could I get the family price they told me no. So I just stayed in my dad's room. The air conditioner didn't work, they sent a maintenance man and he flipped a breaker. The air conditioner kept shutting down, I flipped the breaker again and again. Finally it shut down permanently, hot the entire night. Moved to another room the next night, a little better but the room was dated small tv I think a 19 or 20 inch tv. Full sides bed with air queen mattress, didn't work. So many things wrong. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone $109.99 a night very disappointed. WILLIAM Jr

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
I am sorry to hear that your stay at the Norfolk Plaza hotel was not enjoyable. Staff in Front Desk, maintenance and housekeeping have been made aware of the issues faced by you during your stay and are working diligently to make sure that such issues are not repeated again.

Thank you for your comments and I sincerely apologize for the issues faced during your stay.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Upon arrival to our room the AC unit was not cooling. After a couple of phone calls to the front desk a maintenance worker came to our room and removed the broken unit and replaced it with a working one. The room was dirty, dated looking, bathroom wallpaper was peeling off the wall, and the ceiling had water damage.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
I am sorry to hear that our hotel failed to meet your expectations. Our maintenance and housekeeping departments are working diligently to resolve the issues that you have brought to our attention.
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed here to drive to the beach the next day on july 4 weekend. The rooms are clean and nice ,bussines type.The hotel lobby nice decorated friendly front desk personal.The 3 blocks around the hotel are not the best but it gets better after those 3 blocks there is a nice big mall banks and restaurants, movie theater. The parking lot is fenced so you can drive in and out with no worries about the area.

Stayed July 2014
Larry S, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your mention of our Front Desk Staff. We look forward to your next visit to the Hampton Roads area.
Norfolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

I had heard a few criticism about some of the employees overall not so welcoming personalities;however, that was not Tha first impression I got. Staff was very friendly and assisted me and my mom quickly . One employee in particular, Ms Evelyn in house keeping department was very outgoing and answered every question I had pertaining to Tha bookings of room for my family reunion! I remembered her in particular ,She is Tha best! Thank you so much!

• Stayed June 2014
Larry S, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback about your hotel and our staff. We have made great strides build a team here that provides more then the guest expects and comments such as yours are always appreciated. I will ensure that Evelyn and is noted for the service she provided you.

Been to Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown? Share your experiences!