“Best place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown

You added Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown to your Saves list
Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   700 Monticello Avenue, Norfolk, VA 23510 (Formerly Norfolk Plaza Hotel)   |
Ranked #18 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
“Best place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

I went to the plaza hotel a year ago. And just knew that it was a place I wanted to take my wife for our one year anniversary and I did take her on the 28th of December. We enjoyed our stay, it was just walking distance from the store and restaurants and it gave us a chance to walk and enjoy the town. I stayed at this hotel twice and I got to say I will continue to stay there and recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed December 2013
Larry S, Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback. We pride ourselves on the people we hire and the service levels we deliver. We look forward to your next stay here at the Norfolk Plaza Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Our organisation used the Plaza for its Christmas function at the last minute (6 weeks notice) due to the hotel we had contracted being sold and renovated. The Plaza catering manager and staff took care of our 200 person buffet dinner with great aplomb. They really did do a great job and had another event going on at the same time.
Well done to them.

Room Tip: Although catering is excellent the sleeping rooms have paper thin walls. This is not a criticism of...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

We planned a holiday breakfast for my office on a very short notice. Angelo was able to efficiently provide a quick turn around and create a wonderful space (complete with decorations) to accommodate our office. He was extremely professional and nice. His staff was attentive and catered to our every need. I would whole heartedly recommend Angelo to cater any event. We need more Directors like him to step up and provide Best In-Class Service!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

EVMS Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciances just did our Holiday Party at the Norfolk Plaza Hotel. Angelo Economou, the Catering Manager stepped in and made this an outstanding event for our Faculty and Staff. The arrangement of the ball room was beautiful, functional and visually Stunning. His staff prepared a cocktail buffet of all freshly prepared Heavy Hors D'Oeuvres that had a wide veriety of wonderful combinations. Angelo's staff made us feel welcome and appreciated. He helped us bring in Premier Events that provided Casino Tables that added another demention ot our party. Angelo Economou coordinated a wonderful event that my people will talk about for years and he put it alltogether at a very affordable rate. Angelo is truely a great assett tothe Norfolk Plaza Hotel. If you are planning an even, talk to angelo. He will take care of you an your event.

Room Tip: let Angelo make the arrangements for you...
Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I would not recommend this hotel for anyone to stay there its very unprofessional, unorganized, and clueless of what they are doing. We stayed at this hotel because it was a business trip for my husband, which turned out to be the one of the worst stays ever. There was a banquet for his job at the hotel, we never got any food because the food ran out before even half our group ate the food. The staff was very unprofessional it showed in their language and demeanor. I remember one female actually dancing with customers while working so unprofessional. The sleep number beds did not work, rooms very a mess and the staff has absolutely no professionalism. I personally believe they hire every uneducated or person who drops out of high school based on their vocabulary. All i heard from the staff was vulgar language, and obscenities all night. The staff didn't even set table correctly for a formal dinner. I thought it was common knowledge that the forks are set on the left side in a formal dinner. Hear my warning if you plan on scheduling an event at the Norfolk plaza. DON'T SAY YOUR SELF THE TIME AND MONEY.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
Altavista, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I stayed at Norfolk plaza hotel early October 2013 my room was ok had a problem with wifi in my room late one night and the night security guard came to my room and fixed it his name was mr daniel he was very polite and helpful...

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Larry S, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words about our staff. We strive to provide our guests with the best of everything, and our staff is one of our biggest assets.
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

This was booked through my company for an overnight stay in Norfolk. Went to check-in at the hotel and it appeared as though my presence had taken the clerk (Shawnadra) away from her 'work'. The attitude was poor to say the least and rather unhelpful. The general decor of the building is like something from a bad 80's movie. The rooms are also noisy..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Larry S, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
I am so sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay. We do strive at The Norfolk Plaza to offer the best service possible to our guests. I will ensure that our staff is coached on how to make sure that every guest realizes that they are the first priority for all of our staff members.

Thank you so much for taking the time to bring this to my attention.

Been to Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown? Share your experiences!