“Thanks to the great staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown

You added Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown to your Saves list
Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   700 Monticello Avenue, Norfolk, VA 23510 (Formerly Norfolk Plaza Hotel)   |
Ranked #18 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Thanks to the great staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

When we arrived at the front desk a little early on check in day your representative Yolanda Bond took great care of us. She was very courteous and accommodating. The room was excellent and well maintained. All of the staff that I came in contact with were friendly and courteous.

The negatives I have are the elevators or lack of, and the slow response given in trying to get them repaired and the meals. Only two of the four elevators were available for guests and one of those quit working while we were there. When we left it was very difficult to get up and down with everyone checking out and only one elevator working. We were also served three meals at our convention while at the hotel. Those meals were probably three of the worst I have ever been served. The steak we had the first evening was done to a different degree for everyone at my table. One was not eatable because it was raw. The next meal was pasta. It was dry and the presentation was very unappetizing. No color on the plate at all. The last meal served was chicken and tuna salad. Again no consistency in the plating and the presentation lacked appeal. We were served iced tea with no ice and never were served iced water with any meal. The wait staff, while courteous, lacked training.

While the room was a good value I doubt that I would ever stay again or recommend your hotel to a friend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Larry S, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about the hotel. As the new manager of the hotel, we are working hard to improve every aspect of our guests stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
jacksonville, al
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I would like to recommend this hotel and their staff if you are just staying as an individual or using it as place to hold a professional conventional. It was my pleasure to be a guest at this hotel, a delegate at the convention for the US Women's Army Corp, and responsible for opening/operating a hospitality room for the convention delegates and their guests for a period of five(5) days.
Angelo Economou, Director of Catering; Larry Sauger, Dir of Guest Satisfaction; Anthony Sellers, Chef; Sean Bradley, Morning Buffet Server; Johnny Ethridge, Morning Cook; Amber, #1 Bartenter; Sheena King, Telfq Pettaaway @ the front desk all did their very best to make a very enjoyable, smooth working occasion for myself and the convention attendees. Running a hospitality room for that period of time is usually very difficult but this staff made it work. many thanks from many veterans. p.s. I was also impressed by the present of a security officer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind comments about our staff. We pride ourselves on the level of service we give to our guests.
Pacific Grove, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Hotel needs upgrade; Internet only worked on upper floors; only one (of 4) elevators worked. Hotel made special inexpensive menus in the bar when our convention didn't have meals. No gift shop. Hotel was NOT handicapped accessible. Many stairs to get in/out of the hotel.

Room Tip: Internet doesn't work on upper floors.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Larry S, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you so much for the kind words about our staff. We strive to make sure we have the best people in the industry.
Cancun, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

The hotel is allright and the furniture is outdated and the hallways were so stinky you could barely breathe.
It had 4 elevators and only 1 worked, it used to be a crown plaza but now it is only a plaza and it shows, it is right in downtown but is lonely in the area so you cant walk any where cause is a bit scary

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Larry S, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. We are working hard to improve the hotel and we appreciate the time you took to write with your feedback.
Norfolk, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I had a really great stay at this hotel. The hotel staff, namely Cheryl Taylor and Evelyn the hotel supervisor, are excellent in their great care, pleasant personality, and quality of service. I would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your kind words about our staff. We strive to hire and train the best in the area.
Olongapo City, Olongapo, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I enjoyed my stay in the hotel because the staff made up for any of the short comings in maintenance.
PROS - When I returned from work my room was clean and ready to for my stay that day.I just want say the lady who took care of my floor (Monique) always did an exceptional job and always had my room taken care of before I returned during my stay.

CONS -There is one working elevator still after 2 weeks here and that includes the cleaning staff must use it as well so at peak times on the weekend it can get annoying for everyone involved. When I used the luggage carrier all the wheels have low air pressure.

Room Tip: Any room on the 11th floor if you really need good dependable internet. Stay off the 10th floor I co...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Larry S, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you so much for the kind words about our staff. We are striving to provide the best staff to make all of our guests enjoy their stay.
Norfolk, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

The company I work for has a partnership with the hotel. Staying for the first time I didn’t know what to expect. Upon arrival the décor is appealing and relaxing. The location was ideal for entertaining with a great view of the city. I stayed at the hotel for approximately two weeks. The staff were pleasant and very accommodating. The guest service personnel, Monique was very kind, courteous, and professional. If you’re looking for an ideal hotel in a great location and good staff consider the Norfolk Plaza.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the kind words about our staff. We strive to provide the best service possible to all of our guest.

Been to Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown? Share your experiences!