“Great hotel staff!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown

You added Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown to your Saves list
Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   700 Monticello Avenue, Norfolk, VA 23510 (Formerly Norfolk Plaza Hotel)   |
Ranked #18 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
Norfolk, Virginia
“Great hotel staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I had a really great stay at this hotel. The hotel staff, namely Cheryl Taylor and Evelyn the hotel supervisor, are excellent in their great care, pleasant personality, and quality of service. I would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Larry S, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words about our staff. We strive to hire and train the best in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Olongapo City, Olongapo, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I enjoyed my stay in the hotel because the staff made up for any of the short comings in maintenance.
PROS - When I returned from work my room was clean and ready to for my stay that day.I just want say the lady who took care of my floor (Monique) always did an exceptional job and always had my room taken care of before I returned during my stay.

CONS -There is one working elevator still after 2 weeks here and that includes the cleaning staff must use it as well so at peak times on the weekend it can get annoying for everyone involved. When I used the luggage carrier all the wheels have low air pressure.

Room Tip: Any room on the 11th floor if you really need good dependable internet. Stay off the 10th floor I co...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Larry S, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you so much for the kind words about our staff. We are striving to provide the best staff to make all of our guests enjoy their stay.
Norfolk, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

The company I work for has a partnership with the hotel. Staying for the first time I didn’t know what to expect. Upon arrival the décor is appealing and relaxing. The location was ideal for entertaining with a great view of the city. I stayed at the hotel for approximately two weeks. The staff were pleasant and very accommodating. The guest service personnel, Monique was very kind, courteous, and professional. If you’re looking for an ideal hotel in a great location and good staff consider the Norfolk Plaza.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the kind words about our staff. We strive to provide the best service possible to all of our guest.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We'd read the reviews, and were prepared for the worst. There have been many improvements in the past month, and it's very obvious the staff is working hard, but it's an uphill battle. This is an older hotel, sold by the original chain (InterContinental), and now under different management.

First the good news: The hotel is located close to downtown Norfolk, and in walking distance if you're a walker to several important highlights (MacArthur Center, USS Wisconsin, etc.).

The pool has been renovated and is open -- it's lovely! It's crystal clear, spotless, and a great way to spend an hour to two or get in a good swim (it's a very nice size). Beware, there is no railing to help you when you get in or out, so if you need a bit of help take a strong friend. You'll also have to go down some stairs to get to the pool. The fitness center has two new high end treadmills with TV monitor (so new the monitors weren't hooked up), but a nice surprise after the ratings. There's also a stationery bicycle and an elliptical (didn't try either, but both were in use).

Breakfast was excellent. A small buffet, kept replenished and fresh. Excellent scrambled eggs (and I'm not a fan), bacon, mild sausage, grits, oatmeal (this too was fresh and good), selection of bread, rolls, muffins, fresh fruit, juice, yogurt, coffee, tea, etc.

The front desk, maintenance and cleaning staff were all excellent and were as responsive as they could possibly be. Then can't change the physical deficiencies quickly, but they did everything they could to assist. The front desk clerks were particularly helpful recommending restaurants and directing us to them -- this help was outstanding.

Now for the not so good: the hotel sits up, you can drive up a ramp to the front door and unload (the main entrance is OK, but ramp from or to the parking area is very tight), but there are only two or three handicapped parking spots at the top of the ramp. Otherwise access from the parking lot is by a rather long and steep staircase. There is NO elevator access from the parking area which is one story below the hotel entrance. Normal rate is $10 per day to park.

One of the maintenance challenges is drain for the wall air conditioning unit in each room. These drains become easily clogged, and once clogged the condensation flows onto the rug with predictable results. The first two rooms we were in smelled musty and had wet carpet under the A/C (if you stay here check this first!). We also had a problem with the security latch (missing), but it was quickly fixed.

One elevator reliably works, a second was available at times.

The worst experience was a series of banquets hosted at the hotel. Unfortunately it was painfully obvious that the serving staff had zero experience serving! At one a young woman approached our table with a tray of salads and handed them to us to pass around to the others. The same happened with the main course handed to us complete with covers. The hot meal was not even luke warm. Pasta had long since soaked up sauce and we asked for more. The request was promptly filled, but the server brought the stainless kitchen container complete with large ladle. Well, got our sauce. This is clearly an experience and training issue. The other two banquets had similar issues. I've never seen service like this at a banquet, and seldom at a restaurant.

Bottom line: They're trying, and their attitude goes a long way to making the stay acceptable. If you need accommodation due to a handicap you need to stay elsewhere. Catering staff needs much work.

Room Tip: First, smell the room. If it's musty ask for another. Second check the rug by the A/C unit to...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words about the improvements we have tried to make at the hotel. We are always looking to the feedback from our guests in order to improve all aspects of our guests stay. I am sorry the banquet you attended did not go completely right, but we will make every attempt to solve these problems in the future.

Again, thank you so much for your feedback.
Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I spent a week at this hotel for the Women's Army Corps Veterans' Association Convention from Aug 19 til 26,2013. It was one of the best conventions we ever had thanks to the folks at the Norfolk Plaza Hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful. If there were any problems the staff was very quick to correct them. I want to especially thank Larry Sauger (Director of Guest Satisfaction),Angelo Economou (Director of Catering), Anthony (Executive Chef) and his staff for the fantastic food, the Head of Housekeeping, the Front Desk Staff, and Kelly (at the front..always willing to help). I can't forget Amber, in the bar, who had to put up with an onslaught of ladies which she handled in a very positive and professional manner.I wish I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Larry S, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. It is wonderful to know that our staff did everything possible to help you during your convention. We look forward to the opportunity to host you again next time you are in Norfolk.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My father recommended this hotel since it is three blocks from his apartment. I too signed up via the internet so my parking was free. There are signs posted stating the parking lot is subject to flooding and the hotel is not responsible for damages to your vehicle from flooding. This hotel is an older outdated hotel with the original decor and lighting throughout. The lobby is located at the top of the tight curve ramp. I used a side entrance with a sign saying main entrance. I had to walk down a hallway to reach the front desk. The lobby is large however on the dark side due to out dated lighting and dark decor. Only one elevator is working out of four thus could be an issue if a large crowd showed up to use it. There is a restuarant on site but no complimentary breakfast. They have a breakfast buffet for $10.00. I stayed on the 7th floor and the rooms was big. The AC was loud but that didn't bother me. At first glance of the king size bed it looked lumpy then I noticed a control by the bed. I was surprised it was a sleep number bed. Never slept on a sleep number bed so I had fun trying the different levels. Bath tub faucet was a quarter of an inch out from the tile wall thus water can get in behind the tile and the shower head wall plate kept sliding down. There was water in the tub with a wet rolled up towel when I checked in. It was like the maid didn't finish cleaning the bathroom. Lighting in the bathroom is very dark with outdated scallop lighting with low wattage bulbs. Multiple power strips were plugged into the outlets to accomodate all the lights and appliances. Refrigerator compressor is loud when it kicks on. All the hallways have outdated wallpaper and low lighting thus it is on the dark side. This could be a problem for guests with poor vision. There was a sweet 16 party going on and you could hear the music from the 7th floor but it ended by 11 PM. Walls are thin so I could hear the gentleman's conversation from next door. Again this is an older outdated hotel despritely needing to be renovated and brought up to safety codes. Warning, the main entrance is at the top of a very tight curved ramp. If you have a large vehicle stay to the left side of the ramp to clear the overpass for it slopes. You need to take the ramp slowly when driving down it for it's very tight curve with an eight passenger van. If the owner ever decides to renovate this property he needs to redo everything. This property has enough land to build a parking garage so if there is a flood, the guest vehicles will be above the flood zone. The staff were very friendly. I agree with Clovis C, you feel sorry for the staff for working in an outdated hotel. This hotel will flunk a safety and zoning inspection with one elevator working out of four, low lighting, and numerous power strips in the rooms. I will stay at the Marriott Downtown Norfolk next visit and it is three blocks away from this hotel. I'll pay the higher price. If money is tight for you then this hotel will work. If money is not an issue don't stay here for there are better hotels nearby.

Room Tip: Dark lighting throughout hotel, in rooms, and bathroom.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I appreciate the kind words you had to say about our staff. We do strive to provide the best services possible to our guests. As the new General Manager I will take your suggestions to heart as we work to improve the hotel.

Thank you again for taking the time to give us your feedback.
Mathews, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I stayed here August 17 when I went on the Spirit of Norfolk's midnight cruise with friends. I was impressed by the spacious lobby and was warmly greeted by the front desk staff. I was very pleasantly surprised to hear that because I had booked the room through the hotel website that my parking was free. In the reservation I had requested a room on a higher floor away from the elevators and that request was honored. The room and the bathroom were very spacious and the beds very comfortable.

It is true there is only one working elevator, however that did not really impact me until checkout time on Sunday, when I decided to take the stairs instead of waiting. The Wifi did not work in our room, but this was not a deal breaker as I wasn't spending much time in the room.

Overall the hotel was a good value for the location and I would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you again for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Been to Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown? Share your experiences!